The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

As a town Moore is 41 yrs old. It was a farming area and has had very fast growth as a suburb of OKC. We have many places like it here, Pflugerville and Round Rock come to mind. They have grown exponential particularly in the last 20 years. We had the tornado in Jarrell less than 20 yrs ago not far from here. They don't build storm shelters around here on a routine bases.

Life is full of risks. We luck out more often than we don't. The relentless coverage just makes it seem larger than life.

I keep mine in. There's way too much of a chance of being hit by debris in the big storms we have that come rolling through. They're pretty safe unless the barn takes a direct hit. But then again, I lost a section of 4 board fence to straight line winds and had to catch my horses in the neighbors yard. Thankfully, they had their gates closed...the horses couldn't get out to the main road and they didn't fall into the covered pool.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

Another barn that got hit hard, I was reading her Facebook page and it brought tears to my eyes... Couldn't imagine..... Everything, overyone gone... My thoughts are with them as they try to rebuild. Reading the anguish in he post of the loss is heartbreaking. I know a few sites have set up donations for her as well.. Not sure if she is known on here...

http://m.facebook.com/PlainAsBayEventing
    Posted with my Android smartphone.

My horses stay out in tornado weather.

Leg-Up is taking donations now for the Oklahoma equine community; monetary and tangible items.

I think a lot of the animals probably had tags and collars lost in the tornado. This is where microchips are important.

Given the wells are ridiculously deep because the water is shofar down, I've never really bought the "water table" excuse. Especially since storm cellars are often in the same area. I can more easily buy the rocky/hard shale ground, but that can be blasted pretty cheap. That's how we have a basement (cost the builder an extra $10k to blast, but totally worth it), how some of our family who put storm cellars in did it (in Texas and Oklahoma), and the rest say "we'll take our chances."
    One part of the family says "we have an interior bathroom, we'll be fine." Problem with that is the house is 2 mobile homes put together (yes, I know how that sounds...and it looks funky from outside, but they're happy. They're also the butt of more jokes than they'd ever realize...they don't even know any jokes are made!). That interior bathroom will do squat to protect them from even an EF1.

ETA: I've also been following Plain Bay Eventing...and I just can't fathom.
    "IT'S NOT THE MOUNTAIN WE CONQUER, BUT OURSELVES." SIR EDMUND HILLARYMember of the "Someone Special To Me Serves In The Military" Clique

I don't think it necessarily matters if they are in or out...a couple years ago a Reining Barn took a direct hit in Sanford NC....there were horses who survived both in and out and many who died..both in and out. Just gotta do what you are most comfortable with.

Re: in or out: We had a tornado go about 7 miles north of our house in 1994, and though it didn't hit our farm, we did get tons of baseball-sized hail. The debris field was also quite large, about a mile. My horses were out at the time (back before we had good warnings) and though they were mostly fine, they did have pretty severe lumps from the hail. The trees did no good at all, obviously.

Silverwood Farm suffered a direct hit a few years ago and I remember visiting their website and seeing the photos. The stables didn't fare well at all, but their indoor stayed remarkably intact.

In a situation like an EF5, there is no right answer. For a smaller tornado -- I think it depends on how well-built your barn is. My worry is having horses scattered all over and not being able to find them before something worse happened.

Even here in VA where we seldom get tornadoes (sometimes though), I always turn mine out. They have run in sheds.

In my mind, if a tornado hits the barn they have no chance.

If they are outside in a big field they can react accordingly, they are not "trapped" for a certain death or maiming, life-ending injury.

If they turned out, and are still killed or injured, then it was a stroke of fate from Mother Nature, whom I cannot control.

It's a tough decision, but a horse being free has a better chance of evading danger than being trapped. So that's been my policy. Don't like it, but I do understand there are things in life out of my control so I give them the best chance they can have by trusting their own horse intincts to evade danger.

I recall the first scene in the Wizard of Oz. When a tornado was coming the first thing they did was get the horses OUT of the barn.

3 members found this post helpful.

Netposse is offering to list Lost and Found OK animals for free:

http://www.netposse.com/newsviewer.asp?id=935

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by luvmytbs View Post
    Netposse is offering to list Lost and Found OK animals for free:

http://www.netposse.com/newsviewer.asp?id=935
    A Home For Every Horse is also helping by posting Lost & Found ads on equine.com. Details here:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...if_t=notify_me

Hopefully these efforts will reunite a lot of horses and owners quickly.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Here's an article from DRF about the tornado, Orr Farm, Celestial Acres Training Center, and racing connections.

http://www.drf.com/news/horsemen-suf...lahoma-tornado

Quote Originally Posted by dalpal View Post
    I don't think it necessarily matters if they are in or out...a couple years ago a Reining Barn took a direct hit in Sanford NC....there were horses who survived both in and out and many who died..both in and out. Just gotta do what you are most comfortable with.

Almost all of the horses died in Sanford, and all of them had injuries from debris. It was tragic. The majority of them were outside and were impaled by flying debris. There were a few horses stabled inside the covered ring that were crushed, however, it wouldn't have mattered as every.single.building on the property, including all of the barns and houses, were leveled. If I recall correctly, they ended up putting most of them down in the field almost immediately after the tornado hit as the damage to most of the horses was so significant.

During that tornado, our horses were in, and it was lucky for us they were, and the tornado ripped right through the pasture 100 feet away from the barn, but it easily could have been 100 feet left and taken out the barn, or a tree could have fallen on the barn etc..... it really is a crap shoot with tornados.

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    NYT commentary on buildings, codes, etc. maybe i just live under my own private rock and don't get out enough, but i'm sort of dumbfounded that storm shelters and tornado rooms don't seem to be required under construction codes in tornado alley. a friend is currently visiting his father in kansas; it's a row house, and he's sleeping in the tornado room, which his stepmother used as an office. the whole complex was built with them.

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...anger-zone/?hp
    Watched the special report with Dan Rather tonight and 2 of the comments were that the cement safe rooms cost $1,000,000 each to build and the FEMA standards change up down and sideways so contractors can't keep up. I don't know much about commercial building, but a million to build a cement room? (ETA - this is specifically about safe rooms in schools, not homes)
    Last edited by MyGiantPony; May. 21, 2013 at 09:21 PM. Reason: additional comment
    http://www.tbhsa.com/index.html

Originally Posted by JSwan
    I love feral children. They taste like chicken.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Hoping more survivors are found as this little dog was by her elderly owner (during a TV interview, no less, although I want to slap that reporter for not lending a hand as soon as the dog was spotted and also for her asinine questions):
    http://news.sky.com/story/1093711/to...g-tv-interview
    Look at it this way....in the grand scheme of things, the reporter's job wasn't to interview the woman, it was to help her. Had they been standing just 20 feet away from there, the reporter may never have seen the dog.
    -Amor vincit omnia-

Quote Originally Posted by PeteyPie View Post
    Here's an article from DRF about the tornado, Orr Farm, Celestial Acres Training Center, and racing connections.

http://www.drf.com/news/horsemen-suf...lahoma-tornado
    That article also mentions a benevolent fund being started for horseowners who need help.
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    Watched the special report with Dan Rather tonight and 2 of the comments were that the cement safe rooms cost $1,000,000 each to build and the FEMA standards change up down and sideways so contractors can't keep up. I don't know much about commercial building, but a million to build a cement room? (ETA - this is specifically about safe rooms in schools, not homes)
    a million is absolutely nothing in the construction of a school building.
    And I can see very well where there are problems with that, given the size that is needed to house everybody in the school at the time.
    (BTW, cement is what goes into the concrete to build....)

The structures has to be immensely re-enforced to withstand such storms, preferably under ground.
    (I can still see the images from Tuscaloosa and Joplin, whole neighborhoods leveled down to the foundations, 'safe rooms' didn't do much there)

But I have to say, given what we know now, schools should have something better than a hall way to cower in!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by sid View Post
    Even here in VA where we seldom get tornadoes (sometimes though), I always turn mine out. They have run in sheds.

In my mind, if a tornado hits the barn they have no chance.

If they are outside in a big field they can react accordingly, they are not "trapped" for a certain death or maiming, life-ending injury.

If they turned out, and are still killed or injured, then it was a stroke of fate from Mother Nature, whom I cannot control.

It's a tough decision, but a horse being free has a better chance of evading danger than being trapped. So that's been my policy. Don't like it, but I do understand there are things in life out of my control so I give them the best chance they can have by trusting their own horse intincts to evade danger.

I recall the first scene in the Wizard of Oz. When a tornado was coming the first thing they did was get the horses OUT of the barn.
    THIS! I've watched what my herds do in 3 pretty stiff hurricanes since 1985, the most recent of which was Sandy, and they're remarkably good at knowing what's dangerous and how to avoid it. They've been doing it for millions of years!

Two horsey writers have set up a book sale with all proceeds going to Plain As Bay Eventing:

http://www.retiredracehorseblog.com/...ng-fundraiser/

Quote Originally Posted by MyGiantPony View Post
    A small shelter for a family of five costs thousands, and I'm talking about a "small" shelter. That is why many people don't have storm shelters and why schools don't have underground cement rooms. It is extremely costly to build and the chance of you actually needing it is very low. Do you spend million on something you never use, or spend that same million on getting better teacher, more scholarship, and better education? In the great majority of time, getting into an inner room is plenty sufficient to ride out a tornado. We all have to make tough choices. Newer schools such as Briarwood do have enforced hallways and all students there survived.

2 members found this post helpful.

Thousand of dollars is cheap when it comes to protecting your loved ones. This storm path was similar to the 1999 catagory 5 tornado and the tornado in 2004. I would say the chance of needed a storm shelter in some of these areas is not "very low" and the idea that people wouldn't want to protect themselves and their family is quite shocking.
    Furthermore, with minor water temperature increases, the intensity and duration of storm events will increase. What may have been a 50 year event is likely to be a 20 year event now with warming oceans.

Monday morning quarter backing about what the school should have done, etc does no one any good.
    This storm was a huge deal. Not your average storm.

And nothing built for public to gather is only a little bit more (on top of the existing expenses). You saying it is worth whatever it costs is great but you are not the tax paying paying for the construction budget.
    School construction spends quite a bit of time doing a budget balancing act.

2 members found this post helpful.