The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

The Orr Family Farm has just posted the following on their FB page, in case anyone is wondering how they can help:

We have been overwhelmed by the generosity of those fellow horseman who have volunteered their services, supplies and acreage. At this time, we are assessing the damage and are reconciling the number of animals lost or injured. We encourage everyone not to enter this area as first responders are still actively searching for human life. We have set up a hotline for those who would like to leave their name and number so that when we know more of our needs we may be able to call upon your generous offers. That hotline is 405.283.2258. Once again, thank you for your show of generosity and know your thoughts and prayers have been heard by our family.

1 members found this post helpful.

“There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Frank B, that is also from 2011.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

Quote Originally Posted by Liberty View Post
    Hoping more survivors are found as this little dog was by her elderly owner (during a TV interview, no less, although I want to slap that reporter for not lending a hand as soon as the dog was spotted and also for her asinine questions):
    http://news.sky.com/story/1093711/to...g-tv-interview
    I just watched this video this morning and wanted to smack the reporter as well! But it was so sweet to see that woman and her little dog.

2 members found this post helpful.

From Equine Medical Associates in Oklahoma:

"EMA sent two teams to the Orr farm last night. We were able to bring home two horses and a donkey. If you know who these belong to please let us know. EMA is also currently able to take in more horses. Please spread the word."
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Equin...a/238542048471

Pics:

Poor "Lefty" donkey lost an ear, but he survived!
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...2048471&type=1

One of the horses (not sure if s/he is from Orr Farm, but I'm assuming so):
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.ph...2048471&type=1

Another horse (not sure if s/he is from Orr Farm, but I'm assuming so):
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...2048471&type=1
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Awww poor donk . Though you'd think they'd name him Righty.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

4 members found this post helpful.

Hoping more survivors are found as this little dog was by her elderly owner (during a TV interview, no less, although I want to slap that reporter for not lending a hand as soon as the dog was spotted and also for her asinine questions):
    Oh how wonderful, Miracles do happen, Except brains for that reporter.
    Can you believe it? Are you able to comprehend what just happened here? The old woman sure told her. What an idiotic question.
    Ralphie like his mom are tough stock! Gd bless them. and everyone.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

For anyone who knows anyone in the affected area that might be missing a pet, please pass on these photos of pets found in the aftermath:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...4572738&type=1
    Equus Keepus Brokus

It's sad there are so few horses which survived. Maybe a few did manage to run and will turn up over the next few days. There was one barn which the exercise rider pointed out in the post-tornado interview which was still standing. I wonder if there were people and animals who rode out the tornado in that barn?

The architecture is interesting, from the point of view of what remained and what was destroyed. The photos of the elementary school show the center portion of the school still standing with the roof intact. I wonder if it was built differently than the rest of the school, or if the quirks of nature just caused the winds to hit that little portion differently. Obviously, there will be some tornadoes too strong for just about any structure.

There was a TV program I watched a while back about storm chasers. They made little frisbee/hubcap/pyramid-shaped covers for some instrumentation and even direct hits of a tornado didn't disturb, move, or destroy the little objects. I wonder if anyone is building anything like that in a large scale.

The other thing I was thinking about was having an underground shelter for livestock that would be a large buried culvert that you could herd the animals into quickly. If it were not actually buried but installed like a berm house with dirt mounded up over it in a gentle way, you could use it as a shade shelter on a day-to-day basis. Do they use anything like that in tornado states?

If anyone would like to help the Orr Farm directly:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/OrrFamil...51627323736620
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Another organization posting pics of displaced pets that need to find their owners:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Mc...32561730152813
    Equus Keepus Brokus

The only good side about these pages and pages of found animal photos is that the animals lived thru this tragic event.
    Fingers crossed that owners and pets are reunited.

Shared on facebook all the lost ones.
    This should be a lesson to ALL of us. Tags on everyone.
    Well maybe not the Grey but I bet there are not a lot of African Greys flying around. Gorgeous bird, must be quite tame to be caught.
    What a horrible thing, makes ones own problems seem so small in comparison.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

Another bit of positive news via Orr Family Farm:

"We have more positive news to report. Celestial Acres, a horse training facility on the adjacent property of the Farm, was also severely hit in the tornado yesterday. At this time, we can confirm that there are 34 surviving horses and their prognosis of health is good to excellent."
    Link:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/OrrFamil...51627474041620
    Equus Keepus Brokus

5 members found this post helpful.

NYT commentary on buildings, codes, etc. maybe i just live under my own private rock and don't get out enough, but i'm sort of dumbfounded that storm shelters and tornado rooms don't seem to be required under construction codes in tornado alley. a friend is currently visiting his father in kansas; it's a row house, and he's sleeping in the tornado room, which his stepmother used as an office. the whole complex was built with them.

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...anger-zone/?hp
    Gravity works, and the laws of physics are a bitch.

Member: Rabid Garden Snail Clique

3 members found this post helpful.

Wow, that was heartwarming! Loved that the lady told it like it was, but even better when seeing the dog...

Quote Originally Posted by charismaryllis View Post
    NYT commentary on buildings, codes, etc. maybe i just live under my own private rock and don't get out enough, but i'm sort of dumbfounded that storm shelters and tornado rooms don't seem to be required under construction codes in tornado alley. a friend is currently visiting his father in kansas; it's a row house, and he's sleeping in the tornado room, which his stepmother used as an office. the whole complex was built with them.

http://dotearth.blogs.nytimes.com/20...anger-zone/?hp
    Yes, was shocked this morning to hear the schools had no tornado shelter, but now they'll propose legislation. We still have the same school I went to eons ago, and it had a fallout shelter! Assumed that was a true necessity out there, but someone interviewed this morning (the mayor?) said only about 10% of the homes have a shelter. There are emergency shelters here under our post offices, in many municipal buildings. Hard to fathom.
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Lousy building codes. I'm horrified, however, that the schools don't have a below ground shelter that is watertight.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Lousy building codes. I'm horrified, however, that the schools don't have a below ground shelter that is watertight.
    If this is in reference to the children that drowned, I believe I heard it was from a burst water pipe. I can just imagine the torment and anguish the architect and building contractor and building codes people are feeling, knowing that their design failed so catastrophically. I am sure even in their wildest nightmares, they never envisioned that children would DROWN in the underground shelter they had designed and built to protect them.

2 members found this post helpful.

In the south we don't have basements and shelters underground like it is common up north. It has to do with the type of ground and the ground water. I believe the children were pinned and a water line broke and they couldn't get out.

I'm hearing it was the oldest school in the area. If a tornado like that hit most any school here in TX it would be the same results. Rebuilding is expensive and when they were built they were the best they could afford but they are older and more crowded than they were originally meant to be.

No one ever thinks it will happen to them.

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Since we are under a tornado watch right now, I'd like to ask if anyone knows which is best for your horses in these situations -- in the barn or out? Obviously, if the barn takes a direct hit, in the barn is terrible. But, I worry, too, about flying debris and just don't know which is higher risk. Southern Yankee, what do you think? In or out?
    My own personal opinion is that if they have any sort of shelter they need to be out where they can let instinct take over and have a chance... every horse that was in the barn when the tornado hit had to be euth. I was the first person to the farm and had to hopelessly watch the farm stallion struggle to get out from under the barn before we could get to off the main road and back to the horses. On top of the distruction I also had to deal with massive flooding and downed power lines... and worry about power surges and lightning getting the rest of the horses. I will never be able to get those images out of my head.

The argument to having horses being out rather than inside is flying debre. The horses inside the barn had more injuries from debre than the outside horses. And all the outside horses except 2 survived without any soundness issues. My 3 yo was dead from unknown causes and a broodmare had to be pts months after from a bone infection. All babies were fine after stitches.