The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Apparently most of the children in the school have been accounted for. Jingles for this report to be true!

1 members found this post helpful.

I live about three hours north of OKC, and have friends there, in the Edmond area, and in Shawnee (hit yesterday). Have not heard yet if they are all right, but am very worried about my OKC friends, as at least one has a warmblood farm very close to this path.

KOSU (www.kosu.org) was live-streaming on the air as I was coming to class a while ago and they said I-35 was shut down both ways, and they were having a hard time getting into the area due to debris and power lines down. Everyone -- people and animals -- need jingles and prayers right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Apparently most of the children in the school have been accounted for. Jingles for this report to be true!
    I'm hearing two schools were hit. Fourth, 5th and 6th moved to a church...so far nothing on K-3. Massive jingles. The hall where the 3rd grade was sheltering is just gone.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Many prayers and jingles.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Since we are under a tornado watch right now, I'd like to ask if anyone knows which is best for your horses in these situations -- in the barn or out? Obviously, if the barn takes a direct hit, in the barn is terrible. But, I worry, too, about flying debris and just don't know which is higher risk. Southern Yankee, what do you think? In or out?
    There have been several threads about this, and everyone has their own opinion. I grew up in Tornado Alley and was never able to decide. Out = subject to getting hit by flying debris. In = potential for barn falling on them. Either way you're screwed, IMO. Just pick one and hope for the best.

Thoughts going out to Moore. Just horrible.

2 members found this post helpful.

This is Celestial acres, a race horse training facility where all the horses died, not the Orr family farm.

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

I know OK is a big state but anyone hear from Kathy St Martin/Equine Repro?
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Assistance efforts are trying to be coordinated here on Facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/permalin...99632583407102
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Prayers for everyone involved including the woman who owns my first foal's first foal Ray Ray.

Terrible. So Sad. And people ask how we Californians can live with the threat of earthquakes. My response always is that I'd rather live with the possibility (inevitable, yes, someday) of an earthquake than know that just about EVERY YEAR a tornado is going to rip through the vicinity.

Quote Originally Posted by King's Ransom View Post
    Since we are under a tornado watch right now, I'd like to ask if anyone knows which is best for your horses in these situations -- in the barn or out? Obviously, if the barn takes a direct hit, in the barn is terrible. But, I worry, too, about flying debris and just don't know which is higher risk. Southern Yankee, what do you think? In or out?
    KR, in last nights storm a barn at 68 hway and Osawatomie road lost half the roof- rafters and metal went spewing out onto 68. Its a crap shoot either way.

24 children lost, how horrific. I just cannot imagine. I just feel sick...

My prayers are with all of the humans and animals, who are in such distress.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

In response to the question of in or out. In face of a large or powerful tornado, if it hits the barn, they are going to die. Outside, MAYBE a chance to flee. Pick something and pray.
    While my heart breaks for the owners of the horses, my focus and concern is for the children killed, injured and unaccounted for.
    Schools in areas that have large threats for tornados should have underground safe places for kids that are quickly and easily accessible. Yep, gonna cost a fortune, but what price do we put on the safety of kids?
    I\'m not crazy. I\'m just a little unwell.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by carolprudm View Post
    I know OK is a big state but anyone hear from Kathy St Martin/Equine Repro?
    Kathy is in Denver. Her daughter had a baby today.
    **Friend of bar.ka**

Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
    My equine soulmate

Quote Originally Posted by morganpony86 View Post
    There have been several threads about this, and everyone has their own opinion. I grew up in Tornado Alley and was never able to decide. Out = subject to getting hit by flying debris. In = potential for barn falling on them. Either way you're screwed, IMO. Just pick one and hope for the best.

Thoughts going out to Moore. Just horrible.
    I don't live in tornado territory, so I have no idea how to handle them... But, If you only had a few horses (and a big enough basement) couldn't you bring them in there with you (providing that it was big enough and could be accessed by horses. I know a lady who, instead of having stairs down into her basement, has a ramp because she is in a wheel chair.)

What about bank barns? To me, those don't seem like they would fall down very easily, but I really have no idea.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

http://kfor.com/2013/05/20/moore-man...n-horse-stall/

Interview with the exercise rider who rode out the tornado in the barn, if this link hasn't been posted already. Shows the total devastation of the barns.

Quote Originally Posted by Angelico View Post
    This is Celestial acres, a race horse training facility where all the horses died, not the Orr family farm.
    Thank you for that clarification. Appreciate it. Though the news reporters did actually speak to Mr. Orr, & kept referencing back to Mr. Orr & his employees at several points; & I found this http://www.specialeventsoklahoma.com/blog/?tag=farm Is this actually one & the same place then?

CORRECTION: MY COUNTY DID NOT HAVE A TORNADO AFTER ALL. (SO MUCH FOR THE RUMOR MILL.) BUT THE COUNTIES ABOVE & BELOW US ACTUALLY DID.

My place is fine. Standing water, but the water is draining off nicely. It will just take a few hours. We needed the rain, as we are still in a bad drought here. The wheat is only 12" to 18" high. This means very serious forage & hay issues for us, again this year. This rain should help.

The horses are fine. They are back out (of their own volition), & munching on their hay.

The hail all but destroyed my vegetable garden. Poor tomatoes. My early types were just starting to get a hint of pink too. My flowers, not even the patron saint of lost causes can help them. Small price to pay for the safety of ALL else.

Major surprise at where the farm truck tried to get stuck as I was out checking things. Four wheel low took care of the situation. But it is going to be some work fixing the deep ruts I made. *ugh* I pulled into the closest shed & walked back to the house, as I simply did not want to worsen/make more ruts, or actually even end up with it stuck out there somewhere.

Oh how very, very sad, they are now saying 24 children killed at the school in Moore, OK. Prayers for all concerned.
    Last edited by ThisTooShallPass; May. 21, 2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: weather correction
    Closest thing to a sauna around here would be tarping over a few cows, hold a bucket of water & light a match.

I just couldn't finish watching that interview with Lando. The place leveled, the horses just . . . gone. And those poor elementary school children. Heartfelt prayers and jingles to all affected.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

When the Off-topic board is closed, a starter horse thread becomes our mini-OT specialty board. Seems we have words enough for humans and horses both.
    HAS provides hospital care to 340,000 people in Haiti's Artibonite Valley 24/7/365/earthquake/cholera/whatever.
    www.hashaiti.org blog:http://hashaiti.org/blog

9 members found this post helpful.