The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Going to look at a horse, what do others think? NEW VIDEO ADDED POST #31

Hi all! I'm still a new-ish member, posted a few times but haven't much since I got home from deployment. I am looking to purchase a youngster for the QH HUS and O/F classes, as well as do some local hunter stuff with him. I am going to look at this gelding on Wednesday morning and wondered what others opinions are....I know the video isn't great and it's six months old, and the pictures are smallish, but I'll get better when I actually see him. He's three years old and not yet undersaddle.

Thanks!

Video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uFx1_l3KMU

Pictures http://www.honeybearfarm.com/PaintHorsesForSale.htm

Second one down, grey gelding, Iron Star Catcher.
    Last edited by crazybootlady; May. 22, 2013 at 08:58 PM.

First off, there is NO way he is going to reach 17 hands. Simply not going to happen.

Second, there is NO way he's worth 10,000. Maybe in the QH world?

Third, I do not like the way his neck connects to his wither at all.

2 members found this post helpful.

He is significantly less than the 10k mark right now...I forgot to mention that. I'm not too bothered with the under 17hh thing...I think many people stretch the truth as far as height. 16hh+ is fine for me. The video makes the neck/wither look odd but the photo's make me think he's filled out a little/grown up some. Hoping so anyway, because thats the big thing that stood out to me from the video.

I like his canter. I know nothing about AQHA circuit, but coming from a regular hunter circuit I think his canter would fit in just fine. I dont like his trot - but the hack is only 1 class. Since he is a 2010 I bet he will fill in a lot still, but I dont think he will ever have a great neck. If YOU like him, get him - looks like he will be a useful guy with a kind eye

1 members found this post helpful.

I like him. He's got a lot of growing to do

I am not an expert, but his flank/hip just the back end in general I just didn't like. Maybe he has filled out and he looks a bit smoother now. For some reason I don't like his back legs either. He just looks kind of pieced together to me.

I like him, but he looks like a baby TB. (Read, a little awkward.)
    He is, by pedigree, 13/16 TB, so he ought to look TB.
    I'm not sure how his movement will rate in a QH show, but if you are going to open H/J shows, with some growing up and filling out (like an OTTB but without the racing muscles) he should fit in fairly well.

Are you looking for more of an under saddle horse or an over fences horse? While he looks sweet and will probably have a lot of potential, he is not an ideal HUS horse.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks for the opinions. I'm looking for something to do local hunter stuff and maybe some smaller AQHA breed shows on....I'm more interested in O/F than HUS personally, and may even try my hand at basic dressage or intro levels of eventing. We'll have to see how the viewing goes day after tomorrow

Quote Originally Posted by crazybootlady View Post
    Thanks for the opinions. I'm looking for something to do local hunter stuff and maybe some smaller AQHA breed shows on....I'm more interested in O/F than HUS personally, and may even try my hand at basic dressage or intro levels of eventing. We'll have to see how the viewing goes day after tomorrow

When first watching the video I agree and thought he had a nice canter. But if the above is the case; I would want to see him over fences. And has he "worn" a saddle? I hope you are going to get to see that?

I do think there is something very cute about him but there is still a lot unknown too. Good luck with your visit.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

He looks sweet and athletic. Though I am no HUS expert, he does not look like most of the youngsters that succeed in HUS at the high levels. But locally, and in USEF shows, he looks like he'd be fine. He's cute!

He looks pretty balanced and athletic in motion for a baby on a longe line. I would imagine he could do a lot of jobs well if he has a good mind.

I liked him. I thought he had a decent canter. I liked some of their other horses too...... update us after you see him!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Coming from the QH circuit, he looks like he will make you work to be an average HUS horse. I like the look of his canter as far as o/f goes, but he doesn't have the normal stride of carriage, esp over his top line, that HUS naturally have. Otherwise, it will have to be manufactured and that is when horses and riders become unhappy and rides look fake. Plus, he looks like he will be a handful. He looks like he has more "oomph" to his attitude that what I usually look for in a prospect, but that's me. Usually, when people (esp breed show people) put together videos the horses are on their best behavior/edited for it. He was pretty up, and for a 3 year old (and yes, I realize this is 6 months old) that has not yet worn a saddle, that is pretty unusual for a breed show type horse. They are almost always started. It just puts up some warning flags for me in my little brain.

7 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by sandsarita View Post
    Coming from the QH circuit, he looks like he will make you work to be an average HUS horse. I like the look of his canter as far as o/f goes, but he doesn't have the normal stride of carriage, esp over his top line, that HUS naturally have. Otherwise, it will have to be manufactured and that is when horses and riders become unhappy and rides look fake. Plus, he looks like he will be a handful. He looks like he has more "oomph" to his attitude that what I usually look for in a prospect, but that's me. Usually, when people (esp breed show people) put together videos the horses are on their best behavior/edited for it. He was pretty up, and for a 3 year old (and yes, I realize this is 6 months old) that has not yet worn a saddle, that is pretty unusual for a breed show type horse. They are almost always started. It just puts up some warning flags for me in my little brain.
    He's been saddled and had someone sit on him, just no more than that as they felt he was too immature at the time. He does look a little up, but again, I do still want to see him in person and if it's not something that feels right then I'll walk away, it's just one of those things I feel like I need to at least go have a look.

Well, hurry up and go see him and report back!

I like him. I like his movement and I did not think he looked "up" at all. Nice balance for a baby. Nice canter, trot pretty good, you can work on getting the "big" trot when he is u/s. His neck is a little short I think and that may hurt him in HUS classes. Good luck!

Go take a look and let us know.

IMO he doesn't look like a breed circuit horse in movement and I don't think he would ever place well in it. He has a lot of knee in the trot for hunters if your looking for more than local. He may do alright at local c shows. Depending on where you are and the competition in your area. I don't like his neck at all in the video. He has a pretty bad ewe neck, maybe it's his age and if not he may work out of it with muscle building but sometimes they don't get rid of it completely. He does have a nice canter and if yu are not worried about the hack i would like to see him lunged over a couple fences 1. To see how he takes to it and 2. What his form is like at this time. He does seem up and usually in the qh world these guys are broke at 2 and showing by now. Makes me wonder since they say he was to immature at the time if that is code for he was a complete butthead and is not going to be easy hence they are selling him on unbroken. He could make a nice lower level dressage horse or eventer more than I see hunter or breed show in him.
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

I think he would be a nice lower level eventer. I quite like him, but I'm a CT/dressage rider and former eventer. The neck, though still stringy and in need of muscling, looks a bit better in the photos which must be more recent than the video.

Personally he's not moving his shoulders enough at the trot for a good HUS horse. I'm also concerned that the horse has no under saddle work. While it most likely is the right thing for the growing horse its a good idea to keep it in the back of your mind that you will be competing with horses in the JR classes that have been ridden and shown while you are just getting this guy going.

Does he have his regular APHA papers or is he solid? Defiantly something to keep in mind if you want to show APHA.