The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Driving along all nice and awesome and see something out of the corner of my eye. See it flash again and realize there is a mouse sitting on the seat near me munching on it's breakfast as I drove to work. Got to work without wrecking and called dad who proceeded to tear my truck apart looking for the mouse to no avail. Now my truck was in full service, the only time it ever came near a mouse was at the barn once a freakin week. Figured out said mouse had hopped a ride in the grooming tote. Got him/her out by luring it with saddle blankets. It needed new nesting materials since I had cleaned out its nest. I had no idea I had lured it, went to grab the blankets out saw something moving and tossed the entire load out of the car. Did a lovely impression of a hissy fit as darling mouse ran off into the church parking lot. Now I check all the bags that come from barn to home thoroughly, I will not have another mouse in my vehicle!
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

I've dealt with this alot. With my old Toyota Highlander that I drove regularly. They'd move in overnight! Wouldn't dare leave a cookie crumb in the car. And could never really find a solution to keep them out for good. And it required also having to replace the air-filters, which could be done in that car behind the glove box. Someone got stuck in my HVAC system last summer in my current Ford Freestyle, and it would have cost almost $1000 to have it gone through. Had to just let it die and the smell dissipate. Went a good 2 weeks without using the AC, and driving with the windows down! (Of course, this was during Saratoga...)

When the mice were checking out my kitchen drawers, I tried the minted cotton balls. They took them with them!

Can't do rodent poisoning as the cat does catch his fair share.

I now have some living in my mailbox, which is rarely used since I have a PO box. Opened it up last week and there were dead babies - must have been born right before last week's freeze.

The best I've figured out to do is try to keep the grass as short as possible where they like to hang out.

...she says as she goes back out for round 4 of lawn mowing and shrub clearing...

Shoulda let the exDH buy that fancy lawn tractor when we bought the place. Headdesk...
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

Any confined space is subject to mouse invasion. When I put in central AC on my house in Colorado the furnace tech warned me not to cover it or the mice would move in and eat the wires. Apparently they like to nest, and eat wires in the dark.

Don't use moth balls, because the fumes are poisonous. I've read several accounts of people that use a lot of them, and they start acting as if they have Alzheimer's or some other disease, but when they are out of the polluted area they return to normal.

The peppermint oil worked in my previous office, so I'd try that first.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Farmers have the same problem in their big tractors that
    have cabs. Try googling tractor cab mouse repellant for
    their approach to the problem.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

Quote Originally Posted by ReSomething View Post
    Use the truck. Sorry but that's the only way I know of to keep these sorts of things from happening. I suppose you could use mouse traps etc, but then if you don't open the door on the truck for a couple of weeks . . .
    Sadly, as others have said, using it won't keep them away. I had a mouse set up housekeeping/baby making in the windshield wiper motor for a car I drove 100 miles round trip to work every day.

Only found it because the wipers stopped working. My boyfriend was trying to fix it for me and screamed like a girl when Mrs. Mouse poked her head out. I laughed like a loon and have given him sh!t ever since!
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com

1 members found this post helpful.