The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Boot Coverage

Hi all,

My instructor told me that he didn't like a pair of boots I had bought for my horse because he didn't think there was enough protection for the front of the fetlock. However, in looking around, I don't see much coverage there in a lot of boots. My horse does seem to rub fences with the fronts of his fetlocks sometimes (as the Woofs I jump in are starting to wear there). Do others feel the same as my instructor that there should be plenty of coverage over the front of the fetlock? Can that interfere with motion and that's why I can't find boots that really cover that area? Or can anyone recommend boots with better front-of-fetlock coverage?

Thanks!

Is he rubbing front or rear fetlocks? Or both?

My Dalmars have better than average fetlock protection so maybe a more XC type boot would be better? You could also go with good old ankle boots like these:
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/antare...x?cm_vc=Search

It tends to be the front of his front fetlocks. Of course, we also joke about how my little baby can't figure out all his feet and he interferes on the inside of both fetlocks, to the point where he's wearing holes in Woofs/Nunn Finers I use for everyday work. Thus, the need to upgrade to something that might last a little longer and that can double for XC at BN.

If he is just hitting fences there and doing it that often, I might jump him without boots a time or two -- he needs to learn to pick his feet up. Mine can get a bit lazy or tangled with his feet as he's a bit green still, but he tends to figure it out pretty quickly after whacking himself on a wooden pole.

It might be best to leave the front boots off or use open fronts until he learns to pick his legs up. A horse that rubs fences enough to wear his boots out is probably not one you want to ride xc.

2 members found this post helpful.

I guess I should be more specific. He jumps quite well and really doesn't like to touch things, so it's not that I'm worried he's going to hit every fence. It's more that for XC, I'd like him to have as much protection as possible and my instructor specifically specified the front of fetlock. This is not an area he's injured before, just that the boot I had bought didn't have much coverage there (less than Woofs, for example). I'm just looking to see if this is an area that generally isn't covered by XC boots.

Ah, I understand your question better now -- no, in general it is not covered by boots and even if it is, it is only by soft material. The force that is exerted on a horse's leg when he hits a jump is ENORMOUS, so putting some neoprene or fabric over it isn't going to do squat anyway, especially whacking a solid log. So you would be standing on solid ground if you chat with your trainer and say that physics makes boot coverage for that purpose invalid. :-) PHYSICS IS PHUN, HOO-AH! LOL.