The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wide footbead stirrups?

Needing a new pair of irons and was curious about these. No one at my farm has them for me to try, so dont want to spend $$$$$ if I dont like them. What are the benefits of them? Does anyone NOT like them? Can anyone recommend some that arent terribly expensive, and ship to canada?

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

if your irons are adaptable, try the pro jumps

http://projump.com/ExtraPads.htm

I have them on my sprengers and yes they are wonderful - huge difference in ouchy ankles/back and friends with knee issues love them for the same reason
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

'Composite wide track stirrups' are around $40. I'm not sure who ships up north, but if you google that phrase the ones I have come up. The foot bed tilts slightly and they are super comfortable. I foxhunt and do everything in mine. They make my knees MUCH happier. I'm about to get a pair to put on my dressage saddle too.

Yes for me they are worth it, they make my knees happy.

Love my Sprenger Bow Balance stirrups so much more than my regular Sprenger 4 ways. The wide footbed has made a world of a difference in my knee pain!

I hate the bow balance. I rode in a client's saddle with them last week and they were miserable. I have little feet and they felt huge. Plus I tend to ride with my foot to the inside, which with those stirrups leaves me with giant bruises across my ankles.

Pro Jump doesn't ship to Canada but you can get them from Equus Now. Just ask them to send you a paypal invoice with USPS shipping. The shipping that comes up on checkout is $25. They will ship USPS for $12.

1 members found this post helpful.

Forgot to mention, I dont like curved or jointed stirrups. Was thinking of trying the Jin stirrups...any good? They seem to be going pretty cheap on ebay right now.

The stirrup question is so hard to answer because so many people like a different feel.

Once I demoed a trail saddle that had those wide footbed type trail stirrups and they were so comfortable...

As a Hunter/Eq rider I used to ride in nothing but regular filis irons. As I aged I noticed my knees hurt and sometimes my feet would go numb. Then one day riding in my trainers saddle he had the Royal Riders with the wider foot bed. And I really liked them and no pain. So I ended up getting a pair. A bit pricey so it took a few years before I broke down and bought them. I tried to bid on a pair on ebay and that was my first and last time doing that... I was sad I lost. LOL

Then at the most recent show I bought a pair of the pro-jumps because I had to do an eq class and with the new upcoming no black stirrup rule I thought I should get used to it. I did like them but my feet went numb. And I thought they were too heavy. And scratched my saddle

I have recently ordered the Royal Riders in gray... they just came in the other day and I will pick them up on Wednesday.

I do really like the wide foot bed type stirrups.
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

I have the Composite Reflex stirrups and they make my wonky achilles much happier. They are around $35 to $40. Not sure who ships to Canada. I have been happy with mine. On my other saddle, I have a pair of Metalabs with a wide foot bed which I like, but not as much as the composites.

I have the Jin stirrups and LOVE them. I too dislike jointed stirrups so these feel like heaven. I've found they've really helped stabilize me over fences when my horse decides to jump "hard" and just overall find them very comfortable. If you can find them for less than the $245/CDN asking price (ouch) I'd go for it!
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

I have the Kat (which are the German version of the Jin) and I love them! Prior to them I had the EquiWing stirrups which run ~$60. I can't use the regular fillis irons without my knees and ankles being immobile by the end of a jump lesson. I find the Kat way more comfortable than the EquiWing, although there are lots of each at my barn. The one thing I noticed with the Jin/Kat stirrups, is that riders who can hyper-flex their ankles do so way more in the Jin/Kat versus the composite or fillis irons. I got my Kat irons from Equi-Products, but Horselife and Where'd You Get That carry the Jin as well.

Has anyone tried the MDC Sport Classic Stirrup? I like how they're pretty traditional looking.

Quote Originally Posted by lrp1106 View Post
    Has anyone tried the MDC Sport Classic Stirrup? I like how they're pretty traditional looking.
    I was thinking about trying these, or the MDC Hunter Classic stirrup.

I rode in a regular fillis iron for years, and several years ago, I couldn't go for more than 30 minutes without having numb feet and aching knees. I found a fantastic deal on the HS Bow Balance at a local consignment shop and have used those for the last few years.

The difference in relief was impressive. No more numb feet, no more aching joints. However, with my current horse, who has some serious hops and is not always consistent over fences, I found that with the jointed stirrups, I wasn't getting the support I really need.

So this led me back to regular fillis irons for jumping, which helped my security over fences with him immediately. However, it brought back the numb feet and aching joints.

I just recently bought composite stirrups and have them on my saddle now. They are a happy medium, especially for $35. I kind of wish they didn't have that give to them, so I do want to try one of those MDC stirrups I listed above to at least see how I like that. They do not give nearly as much as traditional jointed stirrups can, so it is better.

I have the MDC hunter classics on one saddle and the Wildkart Jins on another. Like them both, but like the Jins better...not sure exactly why, but they just feel a little more comfortable to me. I have had other wide tread stirrups, including the Reflex, Royal Rider, and Bow Balance, but much prefer the current ones. I hate cheese graters as they grip a little too much, and the MDC/Jins I have now have the perfect amount of grip.

I looked at those "cheap" Jin stirrups on eBay...they don't say Wildkart and are tagged with another name on it, so I think they might be knockoffs of some sort. I'd be leery to try them unless someone can vouch for them or returning wasn't too much of a hassle.

I have the MDC Sport Classic stirrups, and love them.
    I had been riding in the Sprenger jointed, and my weak ankles (sprained them so many times as a kid I lost count..) were getting sore and rolling.
    The wide foot bed in the MDC, enable me to keep a more stable position and I have not had any issues since I began using them.
    I have heard that they have been very helpful for those with knee issues as well.
    Big thumbs up!