The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Has anyone used M-T-G on horse's face?

Has anyone ever used M-T-G on a horse's face? Long story, but my horse has recently developed what appears to be some kind of fungus on his face (on the tip of one ear, below his eye/along bridge of his nose, and on the front of his nose).

He is on an EPSM diet, and therefore eats 2 cups of oil per day. He gets the oil all over the inside and outside of his bucket, and then rubs his face on his bucket and bumps his ear against the oily bucket when he is eating his hay at night. I think constantly touching the oil is what led to this problem. As soon as I figured that out, I started feeding the feed/oil in a ground feeder that I remove as soon as he is done so there isn't anything oily for him to rub on. I've also gently scrubbed/washed his face with a mild shampoo, and had been applying aloe to the raw areas until it struck me that this might actually be a fungus rather than simple irritation.

So, has anyone used M-T-G on a horse's face? I've used M-T-G plenty on this horse before, so I know he is not allergic to the sulfas in it. But, putting it on his face makes me nervous (particuarly near his eye - if I do put it there, I will be very careful and use a very minimal amount).

Anyone have other ideas on how to get rid of this? It is almost like scratches or rain rot, but on his face. It came on very quickly - I would say it went from no problem to fairly prominent in 2-3 days.

Although MTG probably won't hurt him, I highly recommend another product for these sorts of things on the face called Equiderma lotion. The "face fungus" think you are talking about sounds like it might be some sort of rain rot. My guy is getting a few patches now with the humidity setting in and lots of rain. I rub equiderma on it and in about a day it's gone. I've used it on his ears and face with no problems. Right now he has some "cannon crud" that it is taking care of.

Good luck!
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Quote Originally Posted by SaratogaTB View Post
    Although MTG probably won't hurt him, I highly recommend another product for these sorts of things on the face called Equiderma lotion. The "face fungus" think you are talking about sounds like it might be some sort of rain rot. My guy is getting a few patches now with the humidity setting in and lots of rain. I rub equiderma on it and in about a day it's gone. I've used it on his ears and face with no problems. Right now he has some "cannon crud" that it is taking care of.

Good luck!
    Thanks, I will see if I can find some of this!

It's really quite disgusting and became a problem pretty much literally overnight. I feel terrible, and it does seem sore/irritated. Poor guy!

Equiderma works like a miracle on my horse for exactly this sort of thing. You need to order from the website, it's a small company in Florida. I learned about the product from my eventer coach.
    "I am still under the impression there is nothing alive quite so beautiful
    as a thoroughbred horse."

-JOHN GALSWORTHY

Quote Originally Posted by SaratogaTB View Post
    Equiderma works like a miracle on my horse for exactly this sort of thing. You need to order from the website, it's a small company in Florida. I learned about the product from my eventer coach.
    Ah, found the website! Thanks! I think I am going to order some but try the MTG while I wait for it to arrive because I just can't STAND leaving it alone. To make things even better, this horse has to have a canine tooth removed soon, and I'd really like there not to be an active fungal infection on his face when we do that!

I have used MTG on my horse's face fungus with great results. Just use it VERY sparingly. It doesn't take much at all to clear up the fungus from my horse's face. One or 2 applications and no more fungus.

I do have one horse that can't tolerate MTG so it does depend on the horse.
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Quote Originally Posted by inca View Post
    I have used MTG on my horse's face fungus with great results. Just use it VERY sparingly. It doesn't take much at all to clear up the fungus from my horse's face. One or 2 applications and no more fungus.

I do have one horse that can't tolerate MTG so it does depend on the horse.
    Thanks! Yeah, I've known a few that have problems with MTG (I think that indicates a sulfa allergy), but this one has been fine with it when I have used it elsewhere (knocking on wood!).

The active ingredient in MTG is a photosensetive oil called, cade oil. I wouldn't use it on the face for that reason, unless it's applied at night and then washed off in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by hundredacres View Post
    The active ingredient in MTG is a photosensetive oil called, cade oil. I wouldn't use it on the face for that reason, unless it's applied at night and then washed off in the morning.
    Yes, this is what I was planning to do. Apply lightly at night and then wash off in morning before T/O.

He also wears a mask in T/O.

The deed is done. And now, we wait.

I would use it a couple days in a row - that was all that was ever needed for my mare. I believe she was on night turn out when I used it. I would think a fly mask would help prevent it burning but definitely a good idea to wipe his face with a wet rag before turning out in the morning.

Good luck! I hate fungus, especially on their faces!
    Triple J Ranch Sporthorses
    www.triplejsporthorse.com
    Member - OMGiH I LOFF my mare(s) clique

Yeah, I put it on again tonight. In some ways I thought it looked better today (less pink/irritated), but in some ways worse (more flakey, and it has spread some). A new spot popped up on his nose today that looks frighteningly like ringworm!! No idea where he would pick that up (he is turned out alone), but gross! I'm really hoping I can get this cleared up quickly. As I mentioned, he has to get a canine tooth removed soon and I really don't want to send him for that procedure with this all over him.

He has allergic reactions to sedation and had to get dex last week due to hives/facial swelling from dental sedation. I kind of think the dex may have weakened his system and caused whatever this is to really take hold. Never a dull moment with this horse!

I don't like MTG with sun out. The oil in seems to fry the horse. You can get a powder sulfur powder at the feed store. Have used that. One thing that works for ring worm is athlete foot powder Lotrimin.

To update on this: I started using the MTG on his face Monday night. It is now Thursday. He has lost a LOT more hair on his face, but I think that was going to occur no matter what (the areas were already infected, but had not yet lost the hair/skin). I think the MTG has helped in that the areas are not angry/pink/irritated, which they were before I started using it. The areas with missing hair are basically just normal, healthy looking black skin now (and, as of this morning, a few hairs starting to grow in the area where the hair/skin first started sloughing off).

I've been lightly applying the MTG at night with multiple cotton balls (using a fresh cotton ball in each area of infection so as to avoid any spread). Then in the morning, I have been wiping with a slightly damp cloth before he goes out and putting him out in a fly mask. We have not had any problems at all with sunburn...this has probably been helped by the fact that it has been disgusting/dreary/rainy most days here. In fact, he is actually not even turned out today because of the weather.

Anyway, I think it seems to be on the right track with the MTG...

I know the MTG people personally (next door neighbours) and can ask her about use on the face if you'd like.

Quote Originally Posted by DancingFoalFarms View Post
    I know the MTG people personally (next door neighbours) and can ask her about use on the face if you'd like.
    I've already done it, but sure! I would actually love to know if they contemplate use on the face - thanks!

You can tell her I love MTG, by the way!

1 members found this post helpful.

Will do! I like it too -- other than the smell. But she said they're working on fixing that.