The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question saddles...narrow twist, long/forward flap

So I was at a 3-day event this weekend, and there were a few saddle reps there. I finally talked to the CWD rep, and he basically told me that a CWD might not be the right fit. I have a 17.5 3C that is beautiful, but the seat doesn't accommodate my femur, the wide twist makes for an uncomfortable ride, and the 3C is just too small at least in the 17.5'' seat. He put me in a 3L and a 4C in different seat sizes...and it just never felt "right."

I also sat in a couple of voltaire saddles, and the rep (who was super helpful!!) said I was a 18.5 3AAAR. To me...that just seems so...large. My own horses weren't at that show, so I couldn't sit in the saddle on a horse, but I liked the feel when I sat on the fake horse barrel or whatever that is. Here are some pictures from that saddle:

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...psb9431ea4.jpg

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...psf7bee513.jpg

http://s65.photobucket.com/user/reay...238bc.jpg.html

I'm just worried about the flap potentially being too large, especially when I jump...maybe I am just not used to a flap that fits me correctly?

Additionally...I basically figured out that I need a more narrow twist instead of a wider one. It this says anything, I am more comfortable in a '96 brick 16'' beval with a 2.5 flap, than my beautiful 17.5 cwd 3C. Not that my butt fits in the saddle...but I love the twist and flap size, which still might be too small?

CWD:
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...at105004AM.png

Beval:
    http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...7at72056AM.png

http://i65.photobucket.com/albums/h2...0/2ba75ed0.jpg

Which CC saddles are known for a med or narrow twist? Thoughts on the voltaire? Help

Uh. Well, I can say the CWD doesn't appear to fit well.

Why didn't the person taking pictures take one straight on of you in the Voltaire?
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

That would have been nice, eh? Unfortunately, those are the only pictures I have.

I'm only 5'7''...which is why I think the 3AAA intimidates me.

Quote Originally Posted by reay6790 View Post
    I'm only 5'7''...which is why I think the 3AAA intimidates me.
    It's really about your leg not your height, ask Voltaire to send out the best fit demo they have for you & your horse
    If you've always ridden with very little flap, it may take a while to accustom yourself to more flap.
    Do you want narrow twist or narrow seat or both?

PS
    They need to switch to the much more photogenic wood "horse" shown in this video - + rider at ~2:25

Sending you a PM.

Part of the problem with the CWD is that it doesn't fit your horse. It is too narrow putting the pommel high which obviously shifts the flap placement.

It is, however, a pretty good example of why a saddle should fit both horse and rider.

If you are saddle shopping without your horse, this may very well happen with the next saddle you buy.

I have an extremely long femur and take a narrow twist as well. I've sat in both a Beval Butet and Natural, both are similar in the twist and flap style. I enede dup with the natural because it was closer to my price point than the Butet, but I would definitely recommend looking at the Bevals for the twist/femur length.

FYI--Bevals run in whole sizes but measure a 1/2 size up. I have a 16" measures 16.5". Sounds like you'd need the 17."

The horse wearing the CWD is not my horse...I was riding him for my trainer. I am usually riding about 3 horses a day right now, 2 of which are mine. I find myself liking a more narrow twist, but not so much a narrow seat.

Quote Originally Posted by tua37516 View Post
    I have an extremely long femur and take a narrow twist as well. I've sat in both a Beval Butet and Natural, both are similar in the twist and flap style. I enede dup with the natural because it was closer to my price point than the Butet, but I would definitely recommend looking at the Bevals for the twist/femur length.

FYI--Bevals run in whole sizes but measure a 1/2 size up. I have a 16" measures 16.5". Sounds like you'd need the 17."

Thank you! I love my beval natural (although between the stitching and old foam panels I have totaled it!)...and I was playing with the idea of a Butet, but I have heard they run narrow.

Alto, that is a good idea. I found the exact saddle I sat in and they offer a trial period, so I was thinking about doing that.

I would try the Voltaire if it is available.

The CWD does not work for you.

If you like the Beval, why not see what you can get in a larger seat with similar flap? They often have tons of used stuff available that they can send you to try, too.

1 members found this post helpful.

and I was playing with the idea of a Butet, but I have heard they run narrow.
    You can get the Butet with the FB2 tree, which is wider than the original Butet tree and more open through the withers area, its designed to be more for the warmblood type of body.

Thanks guys!

Personal Champ, do you think from the (not so good) pictures, that saddle seems to fit me?

I have a Delgrange Virtuose, and it has a narrower twist than the CWD I sat in. My old Butet also had a narrower twist. Love my Delgrange.

Bruno Delgrange offers a narrow twist and based on the pics I agree a 18.5 is a little large for your size. I will send you a PM.

I will look into Delgrange, I haven't sat in one before.

Thanks guys!

Personal Champ, do you think from the (not so good) pictures, that saddle seems to fit me?
    The Voltaire? It's hard to say from the photos, as you said, but it seems like it might be a good match. I will say that I personally prefer less flap behind the leg for riders that are thin, which is why I like Butet's California Flap option.

I have a 19" femur and my eventer is a whopping 15.1h of TB LOL! so finding a saddle that fit both of us took a while.
    my top choice was the Albion Kontact in an 18"
    what I bought was the Collegiate Nobility because it was over $2000 cheaper and fit about 85% as well as the Albion
    I've also fit in a courbette vision, but they are for long backed horses, and I tend to prefer short coupled beasties.
    I've never sat in the saddle you've tried. I don't like french foam tack.
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Don't get too caught up in the "size" or numbers. Get what fits you. The first saddle looks like it fits your leg and seat well. The other pictures don't fit your leg and/or seat at all. Ride in a bunch of saddles (regardless of size!) and see what makes you feel most balanced
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis

I like the way the Voltaire fits you! I have the same type of issue. I currently have an OLD county stabilizer - with a narrow twist, which I adore. I ride in a friends Devoucoux which seams to have the same narrow feel but with a much deeper seat. When i was looking for a saddle I had tons of issues with the width. It is uncomfortable to ride for any length in them. You have to keep us posted if you go with the Voltaire - i've been looking as they are similar to the Devoucoux but the used seamed to be priced much more competitive.

I put an offer on the voltaire that was the exact size I sat in...I will let you know if/when I get it and take a bunch more pictures. Always different to ride in it as well.