The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Although it sounds like your life is pretty busy to be getting a new dog. However, if you do want one, I would stay away from the bully breeds. Not because of aggression or anything, but because they are 'exuberant' dogs. All the bully breeds I've met have been solid masses of excitement. Even the most laid back ones tend to have a high pain threshold and play by body slamming. Most of the ones I've met also lack a good sense of 'this is getting to rough, I should back off' when human or dog tries to stop the play. No ill intent, their just so solid and have such a high pain tolerance, they don't get that they're too much! I'd rather get run into by a 100lb lab then a 50lb bully breed!

Something like a lab (black are apparently 'scarier' looking), shepherd, or collie type would be perfectly capable of barking and looking intimidating, without as much risk of having your children plowed over like bowling pins.
    Quote Originally Posted by pinecone View Post
    I can't decide if I should saddle up the drama llama, dust off the clue bat, or get out my soapbox.

I ended up getting a dog from the shelter today. I was able to take my daughter with me and we found a wonderful dog. It's a 6 month old "Great Pyreenes/Husky" mix, but I don't see the Husky at all except that he has a curled tail. He looks like a big, long haired yellow and white lab with the funny tail. He has a few bad injuries on his legs and didn't have a great life (he was found when the police arrested his owner on a drug charge and saw the dog's injuries), but he is kind and sweet and very laid back.

The tail is long and thin, yet curled. Any ideas?
    Last edited by keepthelegend; May. 20, 2013 at 07:48 PM.

You mean a JRT exists in this world that doesnt alert the whole neighborhood that someone new is in the house?? Shame on that JRT!

Congrats on your new addition. Nothing better than saving a life - and in return, probably saving yours

1 members found this post helpful.

I believe your JRT's should be on Dog Shaming for their lack of effort at the SWAT team running through the house.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Sounds like you already got a dog! But I thought I'd just chime in for the record about American Bulldogs... My parents recently got a purebred AB puppy, and she is just phenomenal... She's about 5 months old, SO smart, loves everything and everyone, and she's absolutely fearless. At 5 months, she's about 45 lbs; I'm guessing she's going to top out at around 70-80 lbs based on what she looks like at this point.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

Sounds like you have a nice dog. I hope things go very smoothly for you and he is everything he needs to be. Being a family dog is a tough job and the expectations we have of the dog are very high.

We had a big white fluffy pound dog before our son was born and he adapted quite well until our son was crawling. He growled at our son once, and only once, and he was re-homed with my dad. You don't know how they do with different situations until they are in the situation. A baby crawling does not look like a baby laying in a crib or on a lap. Just be aware and watch your dog carefully. Never leave a dog and a baby in the same room unsupervised for even a second. I taught our dogs to come with me when I got up to get something. Things didn't go well with Lucas and he is now very happy being my dad's dog and dealing with children on an occasional basis. He was surrendered bya family, so who knows what his experiences were. Our son never touched him. he just simply crawled his way and he growled at our son when he was still five feet from him. It was very clearly a "leave me alone" warning, but a crawling baby cannot understand so our dog went to live with grandpa and we got a puppy. Then, two more puppies. All three of our dogs were properly socialized and are wonderful around our son and any visiting children.

I was going to suggest an English Mastiff. If anyone else is in the same position, please consider this breed. They are rare and should definitely be preserved. Scariest looking dog (remember the movie "The Sandlot"?) but they are one of the very few guard dog breeds specifically bred to be good with children. They are not dog fighting type dogs, nor were they ever used as such. They were ancient war dogs used by the Britons in Roman times, but their role has been that of a noble guardian of children and families since then.

I believe in that critical socialization period that dogs have between 8 and 12 weeks of age. That is the best time to make a puppy safe around everyone, but especially children. As long as you are dealing with a stable temperament to begin with, if you introduce that puppy to as many people as possible, then things are likely to go well for the dog his whole life. Unfortunately, few pound situations can fill this role adequately. That's why fostering a litter is so important, but it only works if the foster owners follow the "make sure puppy meets 100 people before 12 weeks" rule. If anything, a puppy in a kennel at the pound can increase his sense of protecting his environment if the primary interaction is barking at people passing by. If he gets out and cuddled a lot, then he can be socialized properly. It really depends on the shelter/pound/rescue. If you miss out on that, because you adopt an older dog, it can still work out and it's a beautiful hing when it does. Maybe someone did right by the dog and things went sour afterwards. Either way, thank you for giving the dog a chance and I wish you and your family the best.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran