The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Ivermectin packaging... There IS a difference!

For the past few years I've wondered about the different types of generic ivermectin syringes. There are basically two types. The blunt ended tubes and the pointy ended tubes. The pointy ended tubes always leave some paste in the tube.

Today I had all the pieces for a test:
    a tube of each package (both labeled 6.08 grams @ 1.87%)and a milligram capable scale.

After weighing each tube before and after dosing... The blunt tube delivers about a 1/2 gram more than the pointy tube.

Data :
    Pointy tube dose 6.178 grams
    Blunt tube dose 6.671 grams

Conclusion: Each delivers at least the labeled dose but the blunt tube delivers more.

Question: is this significant? assuming all gets into the horse.

I'd say it depends on how close you're cutting your dosing. If you are dosing your 1100 lb horse with 1100 lbs of drug (per the markings on the tube) that small amount of missed dose might be enough to be underdosing your horse, and could cause issues with resistance down the road.

I always try to go a couple hundred lbs over when I dose, to account for stuff like this or small amounts of the drug spit out or wiped on my back. In that case, it's unlikely to matter.

How many tubes of each shape?
    Click here before you buy.

If each tube delivers *at least the labeled dose*, then it doesn't matter. You're dosing by the weight on the tube, so assuming you are getting an accurate (enough) weight of the horse, then if you use the appropriate tube dosing, you won't be under-dosing.

Anything extra is not going to harm the horse.

Oh, I totally missed the issue. Read too quickly. Glad to hear each tube is delivering the labeled dose! Anything extra is bonus. Ivermectin has such a wide margin of safety.

Because of the wide margin of safety, my vet recommends to give up to one and a half times the labeled dose...all to allow for some spittage and the various types of syringes. My 1050-1100 lb mare gets 1 1/4 tubes = 1560lbs of drug. My friend with a 1600 lb draft cross gives 2 full tubes. I think that is some of the"resistance" to ivermectin...insufficient dosing.

Susan

I always give the full 1250 pound dose to my 2, who weigh just under 1000 and almost 1100. This allows for some being spewed out or wiped on me. If I had a legitimate 1200+ pound horse I'd give a tube and a bit more--I always have random half- and one-third doses hanging around from the Shetland.
    Click here before you buy.

yep - my 1250lb+ horses just get 1.5 tubes - I don't have enough horses, or deworm often enough, to warrant 3/4 or 1/4 full tubes just to give "only a little more", so for ivermectin (with or without prazi) I just do 1.5 tubes.

The key point is both packages deliver the labeled dose at a minimum. That was my main question since there was always a residual left in the pointy tube.

Thinking another way ... The blunt tube worms 101 pounds more horse over the labeled 1250. If you manage to keep it all in the horse...

Deltawave... this is a limited (very) study "a tube of each..." Not meant to be statistically significant to the world. Just my idle curiosity.