The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Results 1 to 12 of 12
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep. 26, 2010
    Posts
    3,499

    Default GM column spinoff: assessing scope

    This is a spin-off of a previous post on GM's horse and rider critiques in Practical Horseman. He often makes comments about a horse's scope or lack thereof. That got me wondering how he assesses scope from photos and then how people judge that in the first place.

    Let say for example that you have a youngster who is jumping small jumps, but isn't ready to do anything beyond 3' with a rider (yet). How would you assess whether it has the scope to do the bigger jumper classes without actually going in them?

    While I imagine one could send a horse through a jump chute to test scope, having a rider aboard would change things I imagine.


    So how do people assess scope?



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    15,856

    Default

    Bumping thread to fix display issues on front page



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Fort Collins, CO
    Posts
    15,856



  4. #4
    Join Date
    May. 22, 2010
    Location
    Central Texas
    Posts
    33

    Default

    I'm not entirely sure, but my instructor was talking about a certain horse's scope compared to another's lack thereof. From what I gathered, the scopier horse was the one who could use his body well over the fences, using his back and shoulders, while the one with less scope just took the fences without really using her body. Again I'm no expert, but that's what I got.
    My Blog of Photos and Random Anecdotes
    Proud owner of Jones: 15.3 HH Chestnut TB



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 3, 2010
    Location
    for now, Ohio
    Posts
    413

    Default

    I don't jump big on my horses (3' on the greenie and 3'6 on my more made mare). Both are considered very scopey. Even over the smaller fences, they use their bodies well, but for me, where scope becomes very evident is when I miss the distance. If I miss like a champ, my horses are able to compensante and jump well despite me. If I go long, they can stretch and power over from the long spot, if I chip, they rock back and rocket over anyway. A horse with less scope would at best scramble over the fence, at worse, crash or stop. So when I'm assessing a horse's scope, I evaluate their jump when the distance isn't just right. How do they get themselves out of trouble? Even though I have no aspirations to jump a 4' course, knowing that my horses have the power and scope to save us at a bad fence gives me the confidence to push myself and is a safer ride allaround.
    A good man can make you feel sexy, strong, and able to take on the world.... oh, sorry.... that's wine...wine does that...


    7 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 14, 2007
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    796

    Default

    To me, scope is a synonym for athleticism. A horse who, even when jumping little (say 3' or so) can loft himself, make it look easy, perhaps one that even overjumps some, says to you that he could go MUCH higher, is the scopey one.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElementFarm View Post
    where scope becomes very evident is when I miss the distance. If I miss like a champ, my horses are able to compensante and jump well despite me. If I go long, they can stretch and power over from the long spot, if I chip, they rock back and rocket over anyway. A horse with less scope would at best scramble over the fence, at worse, crash or stop.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brooke View Post
    To me, scope is a synonym for athleticism. A horse who, even when jumping little (say 3' or so) can loft himself, make it look easy, perhaps one that even overjumps some, says to you that he could go MUCH higher
    ^Both of these. I think there are different "types" of scope, as mentioned in both of these statements. But above all, I think the scope is most apparent when you miss--your horse's ability to get you over the jump well.
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Apr. 2, 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    2,473

    Default

    ^Everything said above, plus I also think of scopey as a way of setting athletic ability apart from style. To me, a scopey horse can jump a bigger fence safely or bail you out of a bad spot, even if it isn't doing it in textbook style. On the other hand is the horse who jumps super tight and even over a 3ft fence, but can't really go higher and can't take a miss over a 3'6'' fence.
    Currently blogging for Chronicle of the Horse. Articles can be found here: http://www.chronofhorse.com/category...ryan-lefkowitz


    2 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jul. 10, 2008
    Location
    NC
    Posts
    886

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rel6 View Post
    To me, a scopey horse can jump a bigger fence safely or bail you out of a bad spot, even if it isn't doing it in textbook style. On the other hand is the horse who jumps super tight and even over a 3ft fence, but can't really go higher and can't take a miss over a 3'6'' fence.
    ^ x2
    Quote Originally Posted by rustbreeches View Post
    [George Morris] doesn't always drink beer, but when he does, he prefers Dos Equis



  10. #10
    Join Date
    May. 6, 2013
    Posts
    389

    Default

    [QUOTE=Brooke;6990822]To me, scope is a synonym for athleticism. A horse who, even when jumping little (say 3' or so) can loft himself, make it look easy, perhaps one that even overjumps some, says to you that he could go MUCH higher, is the scopey one.[/QUOT

    Yes! Next time ottb decides to launch himself not only over the small ditch but also across the entire road and land somewhere on the opposite hill while on a nice relaxing trail ride with the kiddos and qhs, I'm going to call him "scopey" instead of the usual "settle down butthead!!!"


    1 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Apr. 28, 2005
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    1,762

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ElementFarm View Post
    I don't jump big on my horses (3' on the greenie and 3'6 on my more made mare). Both are considered very scopey. Even over the smaller fences, they use their bodies well, but for me, where scope becomes very evident is when I miss the distance. If I miss like a champ, my horses are able to compensante and jump well despite me. If I go long, they can stretch and power over from the long spot, if I chip, they rock back and rocket over anyway. A horse with less scope would at best scramble over the fence, at worse, crash or stop. So when I'm assessing a horse's scope, I evaluate their jump when the distance isn't just right. How do they get themselves out of trouble? Even though I have no aspirations to jump a 4' course, knowing that my horses have the power and scope to save us at a bad fence gives me the confidence to push myself and is a safer ride allaround.
    Sorry to derail, but ElementFarm your signature line is hilarious!

    Carry on.
    ~ Citizens for a Kinder, Gentler COTH...our mantra: Be nice. ~


    1 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Sep. 4, 2011
    Posts
    47

    Default

    @snicklefritzG I just tried to PM you and your inbox is full, just wanted to let you know



Similar Threads

  1. Spinoff- how are you selling and to who?
    By buschkn in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Jul. 12, 2008, 09:44 PM
  2. Spinoff of a Spinoff--Top 5 things about Eventing
    By Sightunseen in forum Eventing
    Replies: 27
    Last Post: Jun. 28, 2008, 10:02 PM
  3. Assessing the canter: spin-off from Eventers forum
    By pwynnnorman in forum Sport Horse Breeding
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: Mar. 5, 2008, 04:44 PM
  4. Spinoff: What makes you NOT a DQ
    By Reiter in forum Dressage
    Replies: 60
    Last Post: Nov. 27, 2007, 07:43 PM
  5. New format - now last column of posts are cut off
    By Huntertwo in forum Help Forum
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: Mar. 26, 2007, 08:10 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness