The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Niedersuss Saddle Fit

Bouncing over from the Eventing Forum with a dressage saddle question. I've got a young horse and I want to find a temporary saddle for him that is affordable. He does not fit in the County Perfection that I use on another horse. I've read good things about the Niedersuss Symphonie and there are quite a few out there that are affordable. So this guy is about average, a bit round across the wither and a bit slab-sided. He goes in a MW Pessoa Jump saddle and a Medium Devoucoux Chiberta (which runs wide).

Is the Niedersuss pretty average in width? If so, he needs a wide (I don't think they come in MW). However, I am guessing that they may run a tad wide so I've been looking more at the mediums.

Also, the seat sizes are 16.75 and 17.7 and I ride in a 17 County dressage. So I am guessing I should size up and look at the 17.7 Niedersuss. Anyone suggest otherwise who knows the Niedersuss?

I've read that this saddle tends to fit a good range of horses so that's one reason I've narrowed it down to this make. I've also considered the Anky. He doesn't get his very own saddle to fit until he's done developing.

Thanks for advice!

Nice saddle but it is sooooo heavy. I can't tell you too much about fit as I tried one and quickly passed on it as I hate heavy saddles.

Quote Originally Posted by sonomacounty View Post
    Nice saddle but it is sooooo heavy. I can't tell you too much about fit as I tried one and quickly passed on it as I hate heavy saddles.
    ^^^ uh oh.

I have one, and while, yes, it's a tad heavy, I don't think it is THAT bad. No, it isn't as light as some french monoflap dressage saddle, but I don't find it terrible. Really, it only weighs a bit more than my jump saddle, and probably more because it has fillis irons on it instead of composite!

I have a medium and it fits my MN/M horse decently. I would definitely go wide, I think, if you think you really need a MW. Caveat: mine is older, so I don't know if they have changed over the years. A newer saddle may fit better. Mine is also very minimalist in the blocks department and most I've seen seem that way. So, if you like big and cushy blocks, you may want to move along.

1 members found this post helpful.

Haha. Yellowbritches followed me over here from eventing land. I love the cushy county but with a young horse, I really do need something more minimalist/flat. Interesting about fit. I will look more at the wide trees. He's Oldenburg with only 25% tb blood.

YB, is yours a 16.75 or a 17.7?

I have Welsh Cobs and 3 Niedersuss saddles, one symphonie and 2 olympiks. I find that they run wider than your typical saddle. I like that they have little knee or thigh roll. They are hard but I was brought up on saddles like that.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

Gee, my Neidersuss/Hippostar is neither heavy nor hard. No Hanoverian "grew" out of it (a wide) and now takes a County Connection wide. Neidersuss used to be considered one of the widest treed saddles around. Not so much, now, I guess!

I used to ride in that saddle on a TB and didn't consider it to be heavy. Schleese - that can be a heavy saddle. It made ME feel high off the horse's back, but that's me. As I recall, this model has the billet flaps on the sides of the tree, not near the point of the tree. If your horse is the type who needs a point or a more forward billet to keep the saddle off the shoulder, this may not be the saddle for your horse. I'm also not a fan of the fixed rear "y" billet and I was glad to see that they changed to a sliding "d" billet. I have a story about riding in a smaller size of this saddle (17" and I'm a 17.5" person) that is waaaaaay TMI. Go for the slightly larger size.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I have a KN Allegro in a normal tree on my SWB.
    It really is my favorite saddle that I've ridden in, fits my horse well and is no muss no fuss, and was fairly inexpensive even new. I've had it for 4 years and it's still a great saddle.

Good luck!

I second the running wide. A Bates Maestro MW is too narrow for my horse, but a symphony MW is perfect (for now, she seems to be outgrowing that. When do warmbloods stop growing again?)

I have a Neidersuss Symphonie. My guy was a MW in other saddles but I tried the M and it fit him great.
    The you may find that if the model you are looking at has a more flat seat (like my Symphonie) then you may want to go for a smaller seat size. That is what ended up happening with me. My Klimke was a 17.5 so I got the 17.5 (or 17.7 whatever it is) in the Neidersuss. It was ok for a while, but after a season, I found the seat to just be too big for me. I'm in the process of selling it to pay for my replacement saddle (a Tekna...which ironically is a 17.5, but has a deeper seat so it fits me perfectly. GO FIGURE!)
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.