The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Duckz View Post
    Hunter Princess in disguise. It's ok. I won't judge you.
    Barely disguised, really. Despite not having done the hunters, regularly, in 12 years.

I raised myself on GM Jumping Clinics in Practical Horseman (Seriously....I've reading that column since I was 8 or 9 years old!). At some point, that stuff just gets into your DNA.

Also, Toby is little, my saddle is very forward, and those two things make most square pads a funky fit. I'm not sure I like my (custom made) contour pads just yet, though....

I was taken to a hunter show last month (emphasis on TAKEN)

I know there were a TON of people in the class... but hooooow many times do we have to canter around in a circle until the judge picks a winner?!?!? I felt like I had run the derby 5 times over.

Also,

No one told me that when the announcer said "hand gallop" that didn't mean let your OTTB acutally gallop. I was lapping people!

ROFL -- go for that gallop, Meredith, don't let those hunters hold you back!!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would love to go to hunter shows for mileage, but on the local circuit a) it is almost impossible to find a class over 2'9" and b) if you can, it will be 10pm before it runs. So we go do the jumpers, which start early, have few entries, and do not seem to require trainers to hold hands.... We just don't go fast.

Jennifer

2 members found this post helpful.

ThirdCharm, you've definitely got a point there. One of the series I grew up with ran high to low, so all the 3' divisions were in the morning and the greens and ponies went later in the day. I miss those days. Sometimes I default to the jumper ring just to get out earlier.

But talking about green beans who are still doing 2'6 and under...I think the hunter ring is the place to be

High in the mountains of Southwest Virginia

I have always maintained that, if you want to improve your show jumping, go do the hunters, not the jumpers. The courses are easy to remember (outside, diagonal, outside, diagonal, or some variation), so you can focus on rhythm, pace, using the turns, jumping out of stride, lead changes, etc. When you can do a 3'6" to 4' Handy Hunter course with each step and jump the same, you should have no problems successfully negotiating an Eventing show jumping course.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the Number 2 pencil is so popular, why is it still number 2?

I have become a (somewhat unwilling) participant in hunters this year. My coach told me I was on "eventing probation" until my show jumping improved.

Well, boy, it HAS improved, but not without a lot of struggle! Who knew doing a 2'3" course perfectly could be so hard? (I laughed at first, figured I could manage that... WRONG.)

Working on what many others have already said here - rhythm, relaxation, focus, lines, corners, and changes - has made me feel that I can ride the whole course, no first-fence-oh-$***-itis, no panicking at the combinations, not worrying about horrible distances (they've all but disappeared).

But (big but)... the braids. Oh, the braids. Kill me now. I am currently struggling with either paying $150-300 for braiding next weekend (actually, 5 day show), or not sleeping at least one night to get both horses done...
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

When my H/J trainer was given a horse w/ little step and I came back from Ireland w/a 4 legged souvenir we ventured over to eventing. It as then I was determined to write a what eventers can learn from hunters and what hunters can learn from eventers.. a perfect example was watching my trainer in a Phillip Dutton Clinic. Trainer is an awesome rider.. PD spent most of the afternoon telling her to quit riding like a hunter rider.. .To my uneducated eventing self I couldn't understand what the problem was - she hit every stride, every distance to every jump.. others in the clinic, who didn't ride like a hunter, got in too close, chipped, left long and rarely got the right spot. So on this occasion I have to give it up to hunter training. Show jumping time - I can't tell you how many rounds of SJ I see (lower levels) first w/ riders walking the course and then when they get on something happens... the 3 stride is now a 2 or 5 stride; horses cross or counter cantering all over the place (just pick a lead please or trot) - so I've got to give it up again to hunter/Jumper training.. NOW over the last couple of years, I've seen some pony club kids (h/j seem to think backyard which is just nuts) that can ride the pants off of H/J kids and let's face it eventers can somehow find their way to the bit check, start box and ingate without the help of their trainer - they also manage to make their way thru the dressage test, go XC and SJ w/o their trainer yelling diagonal, sit back, left/right rein, look up... and finally parking - parking field for a H/J show might get 20 in even w/ parking volunteers, same field for an event - 50 trailers... Bottom line the beautiful thing about horses and riding is we can all learn and take from any discipline and apply it.

10 members found this post helpful.

My name is Linny, and I am a H/J rider. (Thus begins my 12 step program...)

There are plenty of things that H/J programs do or emphasize that can improve event riders and the reverse is also true. Gottagrey is spot on about leads and distances and much of the fine tuning. It's not as easy as it looks to get 8 fences in a row exactly right.

Last week I rode with Xctrygirl at her place in PA. Though she's been mainly doing jumpers of late, her background is eventing. Her horses are all exposed to so muh more than most "showring" horses. They all learn to hack out and I rode her 5yo OTTB in the Paper Chase at Plantation on Sunday. Very few H/J trainers in my area would have taken horses on an outing like that. (Only one trainer I know in my area hunts regularly and encourages all her riders to get out of the ring.) H/J riders need to learn that sometimes what doesn't look "pretty" can be effective, like riding defensively into a muddy creek bed or slowing a jiggy horse by sitting back and making him carry you up an incline. (See Em, I did listen!)
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

I will be totally honest and admit that I do more schooling jumper shows (my area has tons of both) because I feel more comfortable. Both in terms of attire/turnout (no coat, nobody worries about your gear), and ride (I can aspire to a rhythmic, quiet trip with perfect changes but nobody snickers if I don't achieve). I feel very awkward, and very much like an outsider at hunter shows.

In 1995 or thereabouts, I won an A/O Hunter Championship at one of the regional "A" shows. It was the first time I had done the hunters since switching to eventing years prior. Everyone was so complimentary, asking how I learned how to ride so well, hitting all of the spots and being consistent. I told them I event.

At the Colorado Horse Park, they run a horse trial, dressage show, and H/J show all at once. The cool thing is that you are allowed to cross enter as well. I call it the "You suck as an eventer option." Last year my young guy just shut down on XC. I literally went straight from the XC course to the jumper ring, entered the 3' jumper division where we picked up several ribbons and my youngster learned that you still have to work even if you shut down.

What does this have to do with the topic? Perhaps one should not even try to differentiate between disciplines, and just simply be a good, solid rider/horseman. In so doing, you can easily switch from one to the other and be successful.

16 members found this post helpful.

I used copies of Horse and Hound to teach Pony Clubbers about style -
    The jumpers had the flailing leg, they don't have show hunters there, and it was the eventers who had the 'form to function' balance and seat and leg, plus the strength of position to withstand some turbulence.
    More along the GM eq. style.
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post

Last week I rode with Xctrygirl at her place in PA. Though she's been mainly doing jumpers of late, her background is eventing. Her horses are all exposed to so muh more than most "showring" horses. They all learn to hack out and I rode her 5yo OTTB in the Paper Chase at Plantation on Sunday. Very few H/J trainers in my area would have taken horses on an outing like that. (Only one trainer I know in my area hunts regularly and encourages all her riders to get out of the ring.) H/J riders need to learn that sometimes what doesn't look "pretty" can be effective, like riding defensively into a muddy creek bed or slowing a jiggy horse by sitting back and making him carry you up an incline. (See Em, I did listen!)
    The only horse people I knew that went to the Paper Chase were my H/J friends! I stayed in bed because the weather was iffy, and because my bed was comfy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    I have become a (somewhat unwilling) participant in hunters this year. My coach told me I was on "eventing probation" until my show jumping improved.

Well, boy, it HAS improved, but not without a lot of struggle! Who knew doing a 2'3" course perfectly could be so hard? (I laughed at first, figured I could manage that... WRONG.)

Working on what many others have already said here - rhythm, relaxation, focus, lines, corners, and changes - has made me feel that I can ride the whole course, no first-fence-oh-$***-itis, no panicking at the combinations, not worrying about horrible distances (they've all but disappeared).

But (big but)... the braids. Oh, the braids. Kill me now. I am currently struggling with either paying $150-300 for braiding next weekend (actually, 5 day show), or not sleeping at least one night to get both horses done...
    Um, I'm gonna need photos of this...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."

Would it be terribly rude to send this article to the lady I just got off the phone with about her event horse and my hunter-riding background? Teehee she was just so rude about her *perception* of hunter riding. I didn't mention that for a while I did ride with an advanced eventing trainer - and I have certainly used the info I gained from her riding my hunters.

Quote Originally Posted by Ibex View Post
    Um, I'm gonna need photos of this...
    As if I'd open myself up to this sort of blackmail...

(Actually, still trying to get my darn videos uploaded on youtube. Stupid youtube.)
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I actually got some nice ribbons showing hunters on my crazy grey mare. Not only were we baby level eventers who clocked around at a million miles an hour, but she's 1/2 arabian! However, she had nice lead changes and square knees.

I like hunters because it's about making it perfect and I could really use the emphasis on position, pace, and place.

RE: In the depths of time, the words uttered by early man as they leaped for the first time onto a prey animal with a brain the size of a golf ball, were undoubtedly, "Hold my beer and watch this...!"

Ibex, I am going to have to quote your "quote" to some friends, but I'll credit you!

Quote Originally Posted by Meredith Clark View Post
    The only horse people I knew that went to the Paper Chase were my H/J friends! I stayed in bed because the weather was iffy, and because my bed was comfy.
    I'm from upstate NY and in my area, it's rare to see a h/j barn or trainer at that type of event. One barn where I rode, I was told in so many words that riding was permitted ONLY in the arena and the outdoor ring. If it started to rain, I was to dismount and hand walk the distance from the outdoor to the indoor and re-mount inside. "The distance" was about 20 feet!
    I can't blame anyone for staying tucked in, but it was not that bad at all. Footing was fine (even for me, a big chicken!) and I was comfortable in a short sleeved polo.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Quote Originally Posted by Blugal View Post
    As if I'd open myself up to this sort of blackmail...

(Actually, still trying to get my darn videos uploaded on youtube. Stupid youtube.)
    Lol!

scary things happen in hunters too.... My trainer had a horse stumble and do a full rotational fall with her at the same show a couple of days ago...
    "Adulthood? You're playing with ponies. That is, like, every 9 year old girl's dream. Adulthood?? You're rocking the HELL out of grade 6, girl."