The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I paid $3500 for one "just" off the track (2 weeks at new farm). He is the calmest, most trustworthy horse ever. He is a saint, and is worth every penny. He is not too athletic, so didnt make a good show horse but I can trust him with my life. This purchase was about 10 years ago.

Recently, we purchased a REALLY nice one for under $1000. Will be debuting on the A's this summer. Also found a nice but not A quality one for free.

For me, free because I can get one from the hubby lol.

If not for that connection, I would probably not want to go over $1,500 unless I was completely in love (maybe up to $2,500 for that).

The real estate adage "location location location" applies in horses. In places like the mid Atlantic where there might be 7-8 tracks quite close, a buyer can be choosey. There are literally hundreds of horses available nearby at tracks and training centers.
    In areas with fewer tracks or training centers (Iowa, Minnesota etc) the nicest ones are sought after by all the potential buyers and often go for top dollar because of the competition.
    F O.B
    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

The most I paid was $3300.00. He was advertised in the Blood Horse as a show horse prospect for 10K. The people were very negotiable & I still feel, though he passed away at age 17, after 11 years with me, that it was the best $3300 I ever spent. I miss him! All 17.3 hands of him...

He was off the track and on the farm, so I was able to ride and jump him (over a pile of fire wood & that sealed the deal!)...I did not vet him, he was very lightly raced and I had a gut feeling he was fine. And he was.

The last one I went to see was priced at $2000.00 and I ended up paying $500.00. The trainer wanted him to go to a good home. He is still with me...

It can't hurt to negotiate. A lot of the time, the idea of their horse getting a great home is more appealing than the money.

1 members found this post helpful.

Where do you all look for these horses? What are the connections to get in the "loop"?
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

I paid $9,000 for one that was essentially right off the track (raced a few weeks before I bought him), although he was with a dealer (not actually at the track) at the time, and they let me take him for a week long trial.

I definitely overpaid, but I really, really liked him and I'm still glad I bought him. Super smart. Took to jumping like a fish to water. Has probably the best natural lead change I have ever encountered on a horse. He's actually kind of tricky and opinionated (very common in his line), but that wasn't especially apparent when he was a three year old. He didn't "go rogue" until he turned four, lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
    Where do you all look for these horses? What are the connections to get in the "loop"?
    I used the racetrack vet as my personal vet for a while and he found me the perfect horse.

Quote Originally Posted by showidaho View Post
    I used the racetrack vet as my personal vet for a while and he found me the perfect horse.
    Well, I'm in an area where we don't have racetracks, so I wouldn't know where to look to find that connection to see what was available...
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

In Vermont you are pretty remote from tracks so secondary re-trainers would be the best option. Many re-sellers are hoping to "flip" horses fast. They acquire the from the track and immediately offer them for sale while putting them into a program. The profit they earn is many times worth it because you may ride them and in many cases they have started to learn basic lessons and have jumped. Depending on where you are, Suffolk (Boston) is probably closest and they do have a CANTER affiliate. CANTER volunteers are very helpful and usually have a good idea of who's who.
    Finger lakes out near Rochester also has a very active placement program as well. Saratoga is close by but being as it's pretty high end, the horses that are available there are usually those with issues, as those not able to win on the NY circuit often have many options for success elsewhere.
    F O.B

If I can try it in a ring and vet it freely, no more or less than I'd pay for any other horse. If I had to buy without really trying/vetting I probably just wouldn't buy. That's just not a scenario I am equipped to deal with. I'd never pay more or less for a breed. Ever. Not for a hunter. I don't care what it is, I only care if it can do the job. Good size, good color, good age-- that I'd pay more for (or be more likely to buy) but not breed.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

[QUOTE=Linny;6990897] Many re-sellers are hoping to "flip" horses fast. They acquire the from the track and immediately offer them for sale while putting them into a program.

Last year I was going to buy a horse listed through an OTTB site (not canter) Had to back out unfortunately due to losing a horse at my parent's and my old horse coming to live with us unexpectedly. A week or so later things had settled down and I was back on the hunt. I contacted someone who I had seen advertising OTTB's and she had ended up with the horse. She didn't know that I was supposed to get him and literally had him a week when she tried to sell him to me for 3k. She got him for no more than $750. What's funny is the group always mentions her on their facebook page for having adopted horses from them. They have to know that she is immediately selling them but they make it sound like they have a life long home with her. When I asked if it was the same horse and said I would be willing to buy him but not for more than she had paid for him the week before her response was "It's ok, I didn't want to sell him anyway. I love him." He has recently been relisted for 6k (which a year later he may very well be worth) with the same " I have to sell due to a new job and don't have time for my horses" that has been in all the ads for pretty much every horse she adopted from this place over the last year. Why not just be honest that she is adopting them and they will be up for resell soon instead of making look like someone actually adopted the horse? She is one of the volunteers with them.

Now I have to say, the place where I got my gelding had a Comet Shine gelding while we were there. Absolutely gorgeous!! Didn't get to see him out as he was pretty much sold and there was a long waiting list for him, but I would have paid a bit more for him as I have a ton of eventing friends and would easily have been able to resell him if I wanted (I wasn't looking for a resell project) since Comet Shine babies are so popular right now. At the least if he wasn't spoken for I could have found someone that would have bought him! If I could have been convinced to part with him. He was a sweetheart!

[QUOTE=Star's Ascent;6991209]
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Many re-sellers are hoping to "flip" horses fast. They acquire the from the track and immediately offer them for sale while putting them into a program.

Last year I was going to buy a horse listed through an OTTB site (not canter) Had to back out unfortunately due to losing a horse at my parent's and my old horse coming to live with us unexpectedly. A week or so later things had settled down and I was back on the hunt. I contacted someone who I had seen advertising OTTB's and she had ended up with the horse. She didn't know that I was supposed to get him and literally had him a week when she tried to sell him to me for 3k. She got him for no more than $750. What's funny is the group always mentions her on their facebook page for having adopted horses from them. They have to know that she is immediately selling them but they make it sound like they have a life long home with her. When I asked if it was the same horse and said I would be willing to buy him but not for more than she had paid for him the week before her response was "It's ok, I didn't want to sell him anyway. I love him." He has recently been relisted for 6k (which a year later he may very well be worth) with the same " I have to sell due to a new job and don't have time for my horses" that has been in all the ads for pretty much every horse she adopted from this place over the last year. Why not just be honest that she is adopting them and they will be up for resell soon instead of making look like someone actually adopted the horse? She is one of the volunteers with them.

Now I have to say, the place where I got my gelding had a Comet Shine gelding while we were there. Absolutely gorgeous!! Didn't get to see him out as he was pretty much sold and there was a long waiting list for him, but I would have paid a bit more for him as I have a ton of eventing friends and would easily have been able to resell him if I wanted (I wasn't looking for a resell project) since Comet Shine babies are so popular right now. At the least if he wasn't spoken for I could have found someone that would have bought him! If I could have been convinced to part with him. He was a sweetheart!
    What she paid for him has absolutely nothing to do with what the selling price is. Honestly if I had someone tell me that they wouldn't pay more then $750 for a horse they came to see at $3000 I would be quite irritated. If I get a horse for $500 and have it for a week and advertise and sell it for $8000 that is my business. Right place right time.

My point is that she had had him for a week and in a week I don't think you can do much to him to make him suddenly worth 3k. It would probably be better to do something like that if you are buying straight from someone at the track instead of an OTTB organization that lists all the horses on their site and facebook page with the adoption price and are advertising the horse. For me, knowing all the horses she has "adopted" and is selling because of "lack of time due to a new job" (why would you continue buying horses if this is your excuse for selling?) I wouldn't trust buying a horse from her. Hopefully she is sharing some of that money with the organization she keeps adopting from and is a volunteer at. Maybe they have some kind of an agreement, but that's not the way it sounds when they post on their page that the horse has been adopted by her. Like I said, if I didn't know either the person or the horse beforehand then sure, price is price. But to go from the horse supposedly having a forever home to being offered for 3k in a week is different.

I pay between zero and $2000 depending on the situation and the horse's attributes; mostly I offer around $500. I rarely go above this because of the limited opportunity to assess the horse's attitude and gaits in that setting - it is inherently more risky than when you are able to ride and watch the horse's gaits in the farm setting. The $2000 dollar horse was beautiful and at the time I considered him a steal for that price. Not so much - alas he turned out to be chronically unsound and was never able to do an honest day's work except as a babysitter for weanlings. He does take that work quite seriously, though!
    Last edited by visorvet; May. 24, 2013 at 10:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Flypony View Post
    Where are all you people, I have a stunning 16.3 hand gelding at the track , I started him over fences last winter, but ran him twice this year, He's sound sane and great over a fence, he jerks his knees to his chin, no takers.....because he's **gasp** a lowly thoroughbred :-( and no I will not give him away, because if you cant' afford to buy the horse , you certainly will not be able to afford to keep the horse.
    Thoroughbreds aren't "lowly" in the eventing world! As a matter of fact, they are getting more popular each year.

The horse trials my horse is in next week is offering a $1000 award to the highest scoring OTTB in the Prelim Challege.

Eventers love TBs. Try and get affiliated with your nearest CANTER group, which in your case, would probably be California based on your Phoenix location.

Go to the eventing forum. People are gushing over OTTBs all the time, and yours sounds like a great horse!
    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Organizations like CANTER have a 2 tiered structure. On the one hand they offer a place for trainers to market horses to non racing homes. Under this scenario the buyer and seller are dealing with each other and CANTER merely provides the marketing tool. A person with a sharp eye could easily buy a horse for (say) $500 and take him home and put a $2k sign on his butt. If the buyer thinks he worth it, they'll buy. Otherwise they make an offer, or just pass.
    If the reseller is reputable, their stamp of approval could be all that's needed. Let's face it, when a BNT is selling a horse, the cache of the BN barn adds to the price. Some resellers have that BN reputation within the TB community. Those resellers have learned from whom to buy, what to look for, how to interpret the data available on the horse.
    Yes there are unscrupulous resellers. There are shady characters all over the place. If you don't like the price and the seller won't budge, keep looking.
    F O.B

There is actually a cross posted thread on this same topic in the Eventing Forum, and people over there are willing to pay much more for a nice TB than folks say they are willing to spend over here. Although in general, I think eventers pay less for their horses unless they are proven at the higher levels.

I think eventers value TBs over other young prospects because they know: (a) that the TBs have been exposed to a lot of stuff; and (b) they usually have a good gallop.

Quote Originally Posted by CrowneDragon View Post
    As much as I'd pay for the same horse that hadn't come off the track.
    A quality horse is worth money. You can get $500 horses off the track like you can get $500 horses off Craigslist.
    x2. Plus a horse that's come off the track sound gives me good a good feeling about them staying sound.

To answer the original question, I'll be in the market for an OTTB in a few months, and I expect to pay 4-5k for one who's had time off to relax, clean legs, possibly a few re-starting sessions with a pro.

Quote Originally Posted by Button View Post
    x2. Plus a horse that's come off the track sound gives me good a good feeling about them staying sound.

To answer the original question, I'll be in the market for an OTTB in a few months, and I expect to pay 4-5k for one who's had time off to relax, clean legs, possibly a few re-starting sessions with a pro.
    The original question is what is the maximum you would pay for a horse AT the track, as in a horse who is still racing or has not been let down or had any retraining.The second part of the question concerns a horse who though still a "racehorse" might be available to see at a farm where he could possibly be ridden or where you might be able to see him at liberty.

Actually, I don't mind taking them straight off the track. To me, a horse that is sound while in work at the racetrack is more likely to be a sound horse. The ones that are lame/injured/NQR often get sent back to the farm to be rested up and rehabbed in order to be (or appear) sound enough re-homed. I think that soundness while in hard work is more meaningful than soundness after three months relaxing in a stall/pasture.