The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Saddle Upgrade Suggestions

I am looking to upgrade from my Collegiate. I live the way it rides and I feel extremely balanced. I want to upgrade to a nicer saddle, and was wondering what brand or brands were similar in style? Thanks you all!

Personally, I love Pessoa. I'm not sure how much you are willing to spend though. I have never been in a Pessoa that I didn't like! Jaguar is very nice as well, I use one in my lessons sometimes. I used to ride in a Circuit (Dover Saddlery) and it was pretty nice, a few people at my barn have one. Pessoa seems to be the closest to a Collegiate, in my opinion. Good luck choosing your new saddle!

Quote Originally Posted by MSHunter13 View Post
    I am looking to upgrade from my Collegiate. I live the way it rides and I feel extremely balanced. I want to upgrade to a nicer saddle, and was wondering what brand or brands were similar in style? Thanks you all!
    Since Collegiate makes a pretty huge range of styles on a variety of trees, we'd need to know which Collegiate you're riding in before anyone could give meaningful advice.

You could also save yourself some heartache by stating your exact budget, which will keep folks from recommending saddles that are way out of your financial reach.

I also like the Pessoa, which is what I was thinking about purchasing. I also enjoyed riding in a Jaguar. Prefer to spend under $2000

I have an old Collegiate dressage saddle that I like more than saddles costing five times as much. I have eight saddles now, and the Collegiate is the only one I would not sell. It is well-balanced and doesn't have the huge blocks so many dressage saddles now have.

For jumping, I just got a Pessoa A/O Pro that I really like. I had been riding in an Ovation saddle that fit my horse but not me (the flap was way too far forward for me), and the Pessoa has the same panels and gullet system as the Ovation. I'm only a few rides in, but the Pessoa appears to be a keeper.

I got the Pessoa from Dover in 'almost perfect' condition, which actually was what I would call 'good used' condition, for well under $2000.

Stubben is great quality, reasonably priced and I love the way they ride. Most of the models are a pretty minimalist design. If they have blocks, they're not typically huge ones. I have several different models (they're all 10-30 years old) and they're all well balanced.