The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I tend to buy and use my own stuff mostly, but the two things I ALWAYS forget to bring with me to the wash rack are:

1) A sweat scraper for when I'm just hosing down post-ride. I remember my own when bathing, but never when hosing down! I like the long, plain aluminum ones.

2) Towels in close proximity. They don't have to be clean or large, just a hand towel so I can dry my hands off after I soak myself/the horse. I always forget to bring one, especially when I'm just hosing down.

The other things I like for bathing are shampoo, conditioner, gentle dish soap (for grimy gray horse tails), purple shampoo (same), medicated shampoo, a scrubby mitt or curry, a variety of sponges, and some smaller buckets.

The other thing that drives me bonkers is when the hose in a wash stall doesn't have a good sprayer-nozzle thing with multiple settings.

eta: Also a good rubber matt so it is safe!!!
    Last edited by suzier444; May. 20, 2013 at 02:12 PM.

Racks are handy, but, ummm.... I guess I'm too low end for you guys. I guess fancy barns may have all that stuff, but one of our washracks has hot/warm water, the other doesn't (whatever). Anything else? Nope. Bring your own! Frankly, I don't WANT to use "community" scapers, spongers, rags, etc. To me a washrack is....available hose and water, safeplace to stand/tie. Period. Like I said, rack would be handy, but I ALWAYS bring my own bucket, sponge, scraper, conditioner, soap, rags, etc., etc., etc., all exclusive to MY horse. Am I just from the "other side of the tracks?" (Well, I do have an Appy..........)

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy M View Post
    Racks are handy, but, ummm.... I guess I'm too low end for you guys. I guess fancy barns may have all that stuff, but one of our washracks has hot/warm water, the other doesn't (whatever). Anything else? Nope. Bring your own! Frankly, I don't WANT to use "community" scapers, spongers, rags, etc. To me a washrack is....available hose and water, safeplace to stand/tie. Period. Like I said, rack would be handy, but I ALWAYS bring my own bucket, sponge, scraper, conditioner, soap, rags, etc., etc., etc., all exclusive to MY horse. Am I just from the "other side of the tracks?" (Well, I do have an Appy..........)
    I think the OP has a private barn, so leaving what she uses out on a rack is handy, no need to bring it in and carry it off every time she goes to bathe a horse.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    I think the OP has a private barn, so leaving what she uses out on a rack is handy, no need to bring it in and carry it off every time she goes to bathe a horse.
    This was how I interpreted the post.

I suggest keeping a bottle of hand cream (I cheat and just use bag balm, since it is what we have around) for after you bathe the horse. My hands always get extremely dry.
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingofdressage View Post
    This was how I interpreted the post.

I suggest keeping a bottle of hand cream (I cheat and just use bag balm, since it is what we have around) for after you bathe the horse. My hands always get extremely dry.
    So many good ideas, I will do that also, have hand cream right there.

Ha ha -- yes, this is for MY wash stall in MY barn at MY farm! I can definitely see the confusion -- Why is she wanting to put all of these supplies out there for everyone?

I do now have hot water on-tap and one of those coily-hoses for the spray wand. Compared to not having a wash stall at all, which was my situation prior to Sunday, this is the taj mahal of wash stalls! I guess I should be clear -- I have mats over crushed limestone, cross-ties, and the hot wash type system. My next step is to figure out handy storage for wash supplies - which really sort of begins with figuring out what supplies I'm going to want on-hand (hence this thread).

I also have an infrared heater above and next need to install proper lighting. Then, I think I will really enjoy a very functional space!

Lots of great ideas here -- love the idea of the hand cream, too!

1 members found this post helpful.

So many great ideas, OP your wash stall will be the cream of the cream!

I feel blessed just to have access to hot water outside...also much appreciated by my horse lol

My essentials are those previously mentioned half moon rubber sweat scrapers, a sprayer nozzle with several settings, my jelly curry comb, and clean dry towels.
    Sore No More for after workout rub or brace, and Muck-itch for pesky cannon bone crud.
    I keep a pair of waterproof rubber boots at the barn, and hydrating 30 SPF cream in my grooming box.
    Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Oh, okay. I just thought it was odd for a boarding barn. LOL!!

The wash stall is ALMOST complete! Still need to install proper lighting, and I'm still looking for one of those shampoo dispensers -- can't WAIT to get one-hand shampoo dispensing! But otherwise, this is how it turned out:

Hot water wash system: https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.n...52703344_o.jpg

(The water hose slinks over the rafters and drops down on the other side of the barn aisle to quick-connect to the hydrant! Completely out of the way, and always at-the-ready!)

Another shot. I left space for the shampoo dispenser: https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.n...27133338_o.jpg

Supplies: I got a vinyl-coated wire rack for about $15 at Home Depot, then re-cycled these bucket brackets (new buckets) so I would have buckets handy, to contain some of hard-to-corral items like sweat scrapers and the toilet brush, and so the sponges in the wire rack above will drain into the buckets instead of on the floor! https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphot...09257195_n.jpg

Added an extra small bucket, nested inside one of the bigger ones. This one will be easy to grab for those pesky things like washing faces or rinsing wounds. https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.n...08464809_o.jpg

You can't see it in any of these photos, but there is an infrared heater above, too.

Overall, I'm really happy with it! Thanks for all the great ideas!

Looks great in there!

I have been using lately those soap dispensers with a magic eye.
    You don't have to touch anything, soap just dribbles down into your hand or sponge:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...FVIV7AodoBEA5A

Except when I bought mine and some for gifts a few years ago they were half that price.

I don't know if something like that would work for your purposes.

I LOVE it! I didn't know I could go hands-free! That is so cool!

King's Ransom, the bucket rack idea is a good one! I wonder how many times my guys would check for food before they finally figured it out?

Kind of silly thing, but I'm so happy to see a fire extinguisher on the wall. So often overlooked, and it was one of the very first things I bought for my own barn. I'd say 9 out of 10 barns I boarded at over the years had none...crazy.

ETA, I like that hands free soap pump idea too!

2 members found this post helpful.

Thanks horsepoor, I believe the fire extinguisher was one of the first things I bought, too. Fortunately, I haven't had to use it!

I am definitely on the hunt now for the hands-free pump, that is just too cool for school!

LOVE it KR!!! I'm SO anxious to finish my 'outdoor' washrack at the widdle ghetto barn....your thread and photos will really help me, too. I also have one of those heaters (not yet put up) but heading back down to the farm this coming week to hopefully get a lot done! Y'know I wanted to ask you: I've been toying with the idea of: a 'splitter' type brass "y" thing mounted just under the wall hanging heater so that: I can have a 'by pass' just cold water hose as well as the second warm water one that will 'go thru' the heater first......do you find? that is a good idea with this type of heater? I DO love the idea of the 'pump' valve type dispenser vs. the 'pick up the soapy wet bottle and invert' idea.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Ayrabz, I have a splitter at the hydrant, with the quick-connect on it. You know, if want to bypass the heater and get just cold water, you just turn off the heater. It will still deliver cold water.

By the way -- I LOVE my hot water system! It is soooo nice and I find the temperature controls to be absolutely sufficient. I can get HOT water, warm, tepid or cold. I really really love it, it's made such a difference for us for everything from baths to serious wound cleansing. Don't know how I got along without it!

hmmm...ok, I'll need to think on that one. basically, I have a splitter at the hydrant which is in the barn aisle that adjoins the washrack. This is so that I can have a short coily hose in barn aisle, and then water supply hose going to wash rack. Problem I can see would be: Our well water is VERY hard....even in the house we go thru faucet screens and shower heads pretty often with the mineral build up/etc. Those heaters warn you of that being an issue (I'm researching the smaller 'screw on to the hose' water softener thingys..but ) still? seems for me it may be a good idea to not filter water through the heater if I'm only using a cold hose at the washrack.......
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Another consideration, I don't think you will have room on the heater for a splitter. There's already three connections under there and it's tight! Maybe use a quick connect attachment and just disconnect when you want cold? Sounds like a pita to me. Would depend on how much cold you use. For me, hard water is not an issue. Flipping the little switch on the heater would be easier!

gotcha. No...I was thinking the splitter would be on the wall, maybe to the side.....a loop going from there up to the heater, but on the other part of the Y the 'cold ' water hose separate...? anyway, just cause our well water can 'stand up' by itself practically (!) (and I didn't want to wear the heater out for no reason)----I'll letcha know how it all ends up! (and SO good to hear you love the unit! Did you get the L 5 or the L 10?) I opted for the L 10.....dunno if it'll make a difference or not
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Oh, your idea would probably work great. Will you have two wands as well?

I got the L5. I remember when we were all discussing the water pressure / flow issues. I am happy with the pressure and flow from my unit. I do not "pressure wash" my horses. I wet them, soap / scrub with a jelly or sponge, then rinse. I own a pressure washer, ha! Don't need that much on my boys!

BTW...'infared heater'............Soooooooo jealous.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett