The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Photos post 29: What supplies do you want on-hand in the wash stall?

Continuing to work in the barn, and just finished installing the hot-wash system in the new wash stall. Next up, I'd like to put some wire bins on the wall there to hold supplies -- and am now wondering what all I would want to have on-hand. Besides shampoo and sponges -- what else should go into my space-planning?

Any suggestions for racks or wire bins to do the job?

Thanks!
    Last edited by King's Ransom; May. 26, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

A scraper, or maybe two different kinds. Spare nozzle maybe?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I like to keep a very soft rubber curry comb (like those Jelly Curry ones) in the wash stall. If you put shampoo on the side with the smaller nubs it can be great for scrubbing off hard to get stains. Since my horse is grey, this is especially critical!

3 members found this post helpful.

If you like them, swinging overhead hose holders.

Scrub brush. Towels (where you can keep them dry). Scraper, as someone said.

1 members found this post helpful.

We used an old wire milk crate to keep our wash stall supplies in.
    Nice, as any water or wet stuff put in there drained and dried well.

I expect today such wire baskets can be bought at Walmart, Home Depot and such places.

With a small kid helping, I would try to put some of the stuff where she can get it, even if it has to be hung/stored outside the stall itself.

Oh Bluey, that is SUCH a good thought! She shouldn't have to climb up on the mounting block for everything!

3 members found this post helpful.

Our wash rack has a wire shower organizer on the wall, mounted so that kids can reach it, too. It has sponges, scrapers and a couple of brushes. I particularly like a toilet brush that came from Dollar Tree for scrubbing feet with its long handle and stiffer bristles.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    Our wash rack has a wire shower organizer on the wall, mounted so that kids can reach it, too. It has sponges, scrapers and a couple of brushes. I particularly like a toilet brush that came from Dollar Tree for scrubbing feet with its long handle and stiffer bristles.
    I like that idea of the toilet brush!
    The right one may even be a good wash soaping back and croup brush for shorties like me.
    Thanks.

I also am a big fan of the toilet brush! The one I have is angled, and I thought that would be bad, but as it turns out the angle is perfect for those days when your (old) wrists are tired!

I also love the toilet brush idea!!

i am forever looking for things to clean wounds and clean towels!!!

A stiffer plastic bristled grooming brush - love to scrub the shampoo in, especially in the winter with longer coats.
    A small bucket, for mixing vetrolin in - because it is so nice to use in the summer!
    Those car wash sponges from Dollar Tree with microfiber "fingers" on one side.
    A few microfiber hand sized towels, also from dollar tree. good for drying around eyes, and pasterns. Also good for slopping on the vetrolin solution!
    A hoof pick
    Hair conditioner. I like Healthy Hair.
    I use a plastic shelf and basket - wire racks rust.

Get a couple of those Rubber Wrist Cuffs. Such a simple idea! This way the water doesn't run down your arm, into the arm pit and into your shirt, thereby soaking you in the process.

I also like to keep a pair of tall, cheap, rubber boots there... this way for those times you forget to change out of your sneakers, you can just do so right there, slip into the boots for the bath and then slip out of them again.

Lastly, if you can't do real rubber mats for the floor, get to Sam's Club and pick up a couple of the Restaurant Grease-Proof Mats. They lock together and have holes for very good drainage. Great non-slip option!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

These are some great ideas! Thanks, and keep them coming if you've got more!

ChocoMare -- I do not know about these Rubber Wrist Cuffs, what a perfectly marvelous concept!

The wash stall is matted, but I can see that I need to pull them up and work on the "slope" of the limestone underneath. I have not told my son yet, but we will need him to help us get this drainage just right!

Edited to Add: Wait! ChocoMare, can you give me a link? I am sure you do NOT mean what I found when I Googled "Rubber Wrist Cuffs!"

Technical Term = Aquashield Wrist Wrap
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

PERFECT! Thank you! Love it!

A while ago I read a GREAT suggestion for drying boots (or anything with velcro) - a few members tacked a strip of velcro to the wall and simply stick their boots on their to hang dry instead of throwing them on the ground or hanging over a fence or blanket bar.

My picks:
    - Medicated (antibacterial/antifungal) shampoo
    - Betadine
    - Orvus shampoo
    - Soft jelly curry (as others have said)
    - Sweat scrape (half moon w/ rubber and a plastic stick one)
    - MicroTek shampoo
    - QuikSilver
    - Sore No More (I like to use it as a bath brace after a hard workout)
    - Spare rags
    - I looooove the coily/stretchy hose we have in there - it never kinks!

Amy

"I decided I am going to live, or at least try to live, the way I want,
    with dignity, with courage, with humor, with composure."

Betadine, medicated shampoo, jelly scrubber (great for getting off caked on mud), liniment in one of those spray bottles...like THIS, regular liniment, Excalibur sheath cleaner, Suave naturals conditioner (great for when you want to work on tangled tails or giving the first bath of the season), rags, sponges, bucket brushes, lysol, bleach, sweat scrapers (I like the half moon squeegee kind), hoof picks, a mud brush, etc.

I think any sort of wire free standing rack would work, I have a small free standing rack with 4 shelves in mine, it works well.
    come what may

Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Buy a few large bottle with pumps and transfer shampoo, conditioner, liniment, etc to those. Much easier to use when scrubbing stuff with wet grungy hands, no need to keep dropping squeeze bottles. I would want/need a HazMat suit since I get absolutely filthy when I bathe ay animal, LOL!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

Great ideas! I'm loving this -- we will have the wash stall extraordinaire!