The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default PDS dressage saddles

Does anyone own or ride in one of these? Can you give me opinions and specifically which panels you got and type of horse back conformation. How easy are they to adjust? Any specifics would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

No one? In case PDS isn't sounding familiar, these are the new dressage saddles by Pessoa.

Argentinian saddles are not that popular here.
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

Dover would allow one out on trial perhaps? I have never tried one but looks intriguing. See if you can trial one from Dover and let us know!

My close contact saddle is a Pessoa with AMS panels. I ride a TB with some withers and a relatively flat back. I and my horse love it. They look like they come with a lot of fitting options.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

I sat in it at Dover and really liked it, just wondering who has bought one. I am considering test riding it. The nice thing about them is the difference in panels for a better fit. And the fact that the gullet is adjustable without needing a saddle fitter, you can do it yourself.

I actually just sat in the monoflap version and really liked it. It is a middle of the road saddle cost wise but I think nicer then most I have seen for that price range.

I had given to me as a retirement gift. I had planned to use it on my TB mare; she has a fairly flat back and no withers. It's a lovely saddle, very easy to change the gullet. They have 3 different panel's to choose from to fit different backs, mine had the alto panel which is for a horse with higher withers; which ended up not working for my mare. The fact it's made in Argentina doesn't bother me at all, it's as well made as many others made elsewhere. I've sent you a PM.

I love these saddles. They are lightweight and have a very close contact feel. If you like to ride bareback, you will like these saddles. They have a wider twist because you are sitting down around your horse. If you like a high narrow twist that lifts you off the back, like with a typical Schleese, then you will not like these saddles at all.

I think the quality is wonderful. They have a lot a great features and the gullets are quick and easy to change. Because of the light weight tree and soft leathers they may not be as tough as some saddles, but comfort and communication for me and my horse are my priority.

My horses also really seem to like them. They are a scoopy type saddle designed for modern warmblood/TB type backs. One of my clients bought one for her Andalusian and it fits him really well too. He seems much more through in this saddle too.

I would love to see a corto panel as I am wondering if it would be a good fit for the older style warmbloods. I hope PDS will make a cob type tree for horses with low withers and flat backs.

I like them. Have to disagree about the wider twist, though.... the original version was quite wide, but the design has since been modified to what I'd call medium-narrow. Comfy seat, for sure - grippy and squishy in a good way. Large external blocks. Very straight flap (the one thing that makes it not a saddle for everyone). Nice workmanship for the price. Good fit for the average back with the regular panels... a little curve to the tree. The "Alto" panels do work well for horses with high withers/relatively low back. Roomy throughout the length of the channel. Priced correctly, I think.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Thanks for the info everyone. I may take one out on trial.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissa.Hare.Jones View Post
    Have to disagree about the wider twist, though.... the original version was quite wide, but the design has since been modified to what I'd call medium-narrow.
    Schleese saddle are also rather known for their relatively wide twist, certainly not a narrow twist ...

How does the PDS compare to Pessoa's Anky saddle?

Sent you a PM

Our PDS saddles could be the older models with the wider twists. I am sorry to hear that they have modified the design. The straighter flap did take some getting used to for me, but I found I could relax my thighs down more without fear of the pommel and ride with a longer leg. I wish the blocks were shorter, or were velcro so that I could customize it a little more. The leathers they use are unusually grippy, even the smooth version.

As far as Schleese, they strive to make saddles with narrow twists, as stated in their marketing materials, and in my experience they succeed (Wave, HK). They may not be brutally narrow, since I can still actually ride in them.

Another saddle I ride in which IMO has a fairly wide twist is the Black Country Eloquence. I like this saddle for older style warmbloods/cob types, but I wish the stirrup bars were set further back.

A trial of this saddle is on it's way!