The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Do you think flea products are safe purchases on Ebay?

I have three cats, a Chihuahua and a Pit Bull mix. We are battling fleas this year (again) and I noticed you can do bulk purchases of things like Advantix and Comfortis on Ebay for better prices than what I pay to buy them from my vet. I've never gone this route before, but if they are non-expired, are there any other factors I should think about before purchasing them?
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

I 'think' there is an issue with diluted/fake product being sold over the net. Not flea stuff specific, but in general.

Do read the feedback on the seller, and not just the positive (I generally skip that and go straight for neutral to negative)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Isn't Comfortis an RX item?

I would not even CONSIDER purchasing an RX item via eBay. Get a script from your vet and shop around real, actual pet PHARMACIES. But not eBay. Who knows what you're really getting, or where it came from. Yikes.

2 members found this post helpful.

You can get Frontline, and Advantage from places like petsmart, etc now. I agree then I would be leery of buying stuff over e-bay especially if its Rx!

Thanks for the replies. You just confirmed what I was already suspicious about. I didn't know you could buy Frontline and Advantage from PetSmart these days. There is one that is semi-close to me so I will check it out on line and see if their price is better. I love my vet, but he does a pretty good mark-up on the flea stuff.
    Susan N.

Don't get confused between my personality & my attitude. My personality is who I am, my attitude depends on who you are.

Sorry but there is no way I'd buy something from Ebay that I was planning on using for one of my animals - I'm talking medical stuff like flea/tick/heartworm stuff etc. Just too risky and not worth it. Have you checked out Foster's & Smith? They're widely known and reputable. I've seen a lot of decent deals from them and I've used them plenty of times in the past - and they offer free shipping over $49. They along with Smartpak are pretty much the only two companies I feel okay with ordering that kind of stuff from.
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Which is better: Frontline, Advantage or Advantix (maybe the latter is Canadian name)? We are overrun with ticks this year - I come in covered, I pulled one off Jack and found a crawler on Tippy this morning and a couple of crawlers on me. Or should I call the vet and get something? Not a clue what they use.
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

With a small dog and three cats I would stay away from Advantix. Or anything else with pyrethrin in it. Just too risky for little guys.

Sorry just noticed you're not the OP. haha. I like frontline, they just release a new version that has been tweaked and more effective. I have also had good luck with the PrevenTic collars, they do work well for ticks too
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

I'm a groomer and I'm going to put in a quick word here: I have a lot of responsible clients who have brought me dogs with fleas in the past two summers. Every last one of them said they were using Frontline. It seems like when it went over the counter it got far less effective. I don't know if the formula changed or if the fleas are just resistant to it.

I use Revolution on my dogs (it also does heartworm prevention). It does a great job on them. It is a prescription thing, so you will need to get it from a vet, but it works.

My mother actually orders hers from Australia (we are in the US). Apparently it's cheaper to order pet meds from Australia and have them shipped here. I've not done it, but its a legitimate pet pharmacy.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Candysgirl - I've never heard of Revolution, but I will ask my vet about it as I have an appt. today. It's also interesting that they can be ordered for less from Australia. What I'm trying to do is purchase in bulk for a lesser price because my vet doesn't offer discounts for bulk purchases.

I am completely abandoning the idea of ebay - too many here confirmed my suspicions, so it was obviously a bad idea.
    Susan N.

Quote Originally Posted by bludejavu View Post
    I have three cats, a Chihuahua and a Pit Bull mix. We are battling fleas this year (again) and I noticed you can do bulk purchases of things like Advantix and Comfortis on Ebay for better prices than what I pay to buy them from my vet. I've never gone this route before, but if they are non-expired, are there any other factors I should think about before purchasing them?
    Believe it or not, Amazon. Best prices in town.

I went back to Advantage because Frontline Plus quit working for me. No problems with the Advantage for the past six months. I've discovered that it helps to rotate flea products every year or so.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

Revolution is my favorite as well. I live on an island with lot of fleas and ticks. My dog gets revolution and a preventic collar and he is flea and tick free.

I third Revolution.

I also order online from Australia. It's cheaper and ships quickly. You can also order heartworm meds without script.

DO NOT get your flea/tick & heartworm prevention online from anyone but YOUR vet (Ontario - myvetstore.ca from your own vet to purchase online)! I work very closely with veterinarians and drug manufacturers; according to the very well known drug manufacturers I have spoken with, IF something happens (a bad reaction, etc.) and you have purchased directly from your vet, in most cases the manufacturer will cover the vet bills... not if you purchase the drug from anyone but a vet though.

Also, Frontline is not effective once you have an infestation (and not that effective compared to other treatments - esp. if your dog swims), use Advantix to get rid of the infestation. Be sure your pet has been dry for at least 24 hours before treatment and keep them dry for 48 hours after treatment. And like someone else mentioned re: Advantix - if your cat likes to lick your dog be very very careful!