The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dressage at Devon

I want to show my Cunningham yearling colt at DAD. when do others with the same goal bring them in from their field? I will bring him in to be trimmed this week but I think it is too early to keep him in.

ALSO....he is very correct, but has a splint on one leg. He is out with other studcolts and they play rough. How big a deal is that to the Sport Horse judges? Is it detrimental enough to keep him out of contention?
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

bump
    "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    I want to show my Cunningham yearling colt at DAD. when do others with the same goal bring them in from their field? I will bring him in to be trimmed this week but I think it is too early to keep him in.

ALSO....he is very correct, but has a splint on one leg. He is out with other studcolts and they play rough. How big a deal is that to the Sport Horse judges? Is it detrimental enough to keep him out of contention?
    Sport horse judges will generally not mind a splint, as long as the legs are correct and the horse moves well.

I have shown at DAD for over 10 years now and mine all stay out in the field until the day before the show, when they get bathed and clipped. If they are a bit sunbleached, the sport horse judges do not care, as it is about the ability of the horse rather than the color of the coat.

For instance, this yearling colt lived outside all summer and just got prepped for each show the day before going to the show. He placed 3rd in his class at DAD.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.n...71426152_o.jpg

VERY pretty colt, Edgewood, who is he by and how is his dam bred!! Not surprised he placed well!!! Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Claudius View Post
    VERY pretty colt, Edgewood, who is he by and how is his dam bred!! Not surprised he placed well!!! Thanks for the info.
    Thanks Claudius, I think my boy is pretty too! He is by Royal Prince and out of an Elite Mare (Pablo - Gold Luck). Best of luck with your horse at DAD!

Depending on your set up, working with a young horse for a few minutes once a day every week (or just a few days each month) should suffice as "prep." Of course, getting them out to an additional show or two prior to Devon can really help in the long run - but it is important to remember your colt is a young horse.

There are a handful of professional handlers on the East Coast that would be happy to work with you to prep for Devon should you prefer.
    Quinnten