The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default **spinoff..Are there large sales in U.S.?

Kind of a spin-off to the Horse shopping woes.

Is there any large sales/Auctions in the U.S. of warmbloods off all levels? Its my understanding which maybe incorrect but Isn't some of the reason people go across the pond to shop is because they have sales/auctions where there are A LOT of horses of all levels found in one place? Certainly we (U.S. breeders) are breeding great stock for all levels of people.

I was kinda shopping and part of the problem for me was you could easily eat up your budget in travel just looking at prospects. If there not such a sale wouldn't it behove both buyer and sellers it have such a sale/auction with horses of all levels? Just a question ...there may be one and I just have heard.
    T.I.A

1 members found this post helpful.

Last year was the first year of the Pacific Sporthorse auction, and it had a decent selection of quality horses, many bloodlines, riding horses and a handful of foals. I think they'll have even more this year, since it was a successful first year.

We don't have anything (yet) like Germany has, but I suspect we'll see that changing. One big difference - the US is a HUGE country - we have individual states that are as big as many European countries, so it is more spread out.

Many years ago, Glenwood had two auctions a year that had a decent selection - one was a riding horse auction, and one was mares and foals. That was before there WERE a lot of Warmbloods in the US.

Lexington, VA has had an auction in July for the past few years. Some nice horses have gone through, but I think it's still a bit small to be effective. Like what MysticOakRanch said, the US is HUGE, and it's difficult to round up top prospects in one place for an auction. I also think there's a whole industry that funnels young horses into the auctions that is missing here in the U.S. That said, I also think the process is difficult on some horses. I realize that it is easy to go overseas, but I also think that some great horses are bred in the US.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I second the recommendation to check out the Sylvan Farm Auction mentioned above. There are quite a few there, and in different age groups.

You might also want to contact Mo Swanson at Rolling Stone Farm. She has a large breeding program, and usually has a lot of horses for sale, although I think most of them are youngsters and not doing advanced work yet.

There is the Fall Classic Sale in Olds, Alberta (an hour from Calgary, canada) over the Canadian thanksgiving. Usually a good mix of all ages and breeding.

Meant to post the website as well. http://www.fallclassicsale.com/

P.

when i was in ontario, canada about 10 years ago they RCMP had a yearly sale of their breeding stock - mostly HAN i believe.

Just ask PAS why they have gone online with the auction they used to hold at Frying Pan Park in VA.

Putting on an auction is an extremely expensive, difficult, complicated thing to do. American sport horse buyers are not accustomed to auctions as a place to BUY a horse. They are accustomed to them as places to by really, really, cheap horses.

We do have successful auctions in the USA, but they are for young racing horses or similar.

I think there is simply not enough people shopping for warmblood sport horses for there to be substantial auctions. If running warmblood sport horse auctions made $$ , then I think someone would be doing it. The answer to the OP is that there are not enough people willing to buy these types of horses in the USA to make it profitable/doable in the USA.

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Kind of a spin-off to the Horse shopping woes.

Is there any large sales/Auctions in the U.S. of warmbloods off all levels? Its my understanding which maybe incorrect but Isn't some of the reason people go across the pond to shop is because they have sales/auctions where there are A LOT of horses of all levels found in one place? Certainly we (U.S. breeders) are breeding great stock for all levels of people.

I was kinda shopping and part of the problem for me was you could easily eat up your budget in travel just looking at prospects. If there not such a sale wouldn't it behove both buyer and sellers it have such a sale/auction with horses of all levels? Just a question ...there may be one and I just have heard.
    T.I.A
    I have a friend looking for an Eventer prospect and she's having the same problems that you are, we're in Idaho and NOTHING is close. It's very disappointing to drive 8 hrs one way to look at 3 or 4 horses (or 1!) in the Seattle Area (for instance) only to find that the horses aren't what you're looking for.
    "It's never too late to be what you might have been." George Eliot

I just thought that if a large number of US -N/A breeders/trainers would/could come together in some central location once a yr it would be beneficial to all..breeders,trainers,buyers. I know the US is large but maybe a rotating sales place east coast then west and somewhere in the middle. I know there are many things I am missing here as to the logistics involved. But we (US N/A) have great horse that are being bred and trained but people cant easily get to them hence why so many go over seas because they have access to tons of horses in one general place. Just my random thoughts......

Pacific Sporthorse Selection in California will be held August 31st - September 1st 2013. They had a nice selection of dressage horses (from more developed riding horses to foals) last year and will be including a collection of hunter/ jumpers this year.

I just wanted to add, they are currently in their selection process for this years entrants. So, there is at least one platform available for any owner that might be interested in entering their horse in an event like this.