The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone Still Use Flannel Wraps?

I've reached a point where I need to replace my old flannel wraps and I was looking at the options. I use them over quilts and primarily for shipping or when stalled at shows. I have the old fashioned kind (without the stitched edges) that need to be fastened with masking tape or bandage pins, but lately I've really been liking the convenience of velcro.

Most people seem to use the polyester knit bandages, such as the ones Dover sells. What are the advantages or disadvantages of these versus cotton flannel, or even cotton knit, assuming an experienced wrapper? One thing I like about cotton is how well it holds up to repeated washings and lasts forever.

I was looking at the Jack's flannel wraps, which are fairly pricey, and was wondering if they're worth it.

I still use them. I prefer the hem finished-type with velcro.

I've always heard that you can't pull a bandage too tight with flannel and that's why people continue to use them. Too tight wrapping can cause damage, particularly if you use the stretchy type bandages.

My dad's pretty old-school and swears up and down that using flannel bandages keeps whatever you applied to the legs before wrapping last longer. I doubt that's true, but I've never put a thermometer against the horse's leg to check.
    Fan of the Swedish Chef

I still use the old, non-hemmed flannel that you described. Velcro is handy, but knowing that I can't pull too tight is more important to me, especially when I need a really snug wrap. Some tack shops still stock the fabric and you can cut/tear your own widths. Masking tape is cheap/easy so I am staying with old tried and true.

I love my flannel wraps! Masking tape is just as easy as Velcro, IMO, and when I make the lesson kids roll wraps after they come out of the laundry, it doesn't matter if they roll them the right direction or not.
    Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
    www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

I use flannels with finished edges and Velcro. I don't like masking tape since I want to be done wrapping at the end of the flannel.

I have an older set of polyester wraps that I prefer to flannel. They have some heft to the fabric and a little -- but not much -- stretch. They practically wrap themselves. The little bit of stretch provides just that much of an edge as far as wrapping with consistent tension, but there's not so much stretch that I worry about overtightening. They also wear like iron.

But I bought another pair of polyester ones recently, expecting the same, and got these lightweight, flimsy, uber-stretchy crap things. They are very hard to wrap with because of the stretch, and I can see why there are so many "no bow" pillows on the market these days -- with wraps like these, you have to have a pillow that will protect against/forgive inconsistencies. I hate them and only use them if both my good polyester and my flannels are unavailable.

But if I could find more good polyester wraps, I'd never use flannel again.

I make my own flannel wraps. I secure them with masking tape, too. I like using flannel sooooo much better than using the colored knit bandages!

The knit ones always seem more prone to slip or bunch or have uneven pressure. They don't hold up as well to regular use and washing, either.

It's convenient to have velcro if you misplace your masking tape or are wrapping a horse that's not standing still. But velcro is less convenient when it comes to washing and rolling, plus it wears out over time. I usually end up putting masking tape over the velcro anyway.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I have wrapped plenty with both finished and unfinished flannel. Really, the only reason I don't use flannel now is because I am bad about rolling wraps as soon as they come out of the dryer and the flannels get SO WRINKLED they are impossible to roll! (Laundry = my absolute least favorite chore whether for me or the horses! Especially the folding/rolling part!).

There is definitely good poly wraps and bad. I also like the ones with some heft to them.

What is everyone's favorite brand of poly? (Not to hijack, but its related)

I still have a bunch of the flannel wraps that I ripped myself(no velcro). I don't show much anymore and when I do, it's just a day show and my mare goes back out on pasture when she gets home(lives out 24/7). SO I haven't used them in years.

Yes. I still use flannel wraps, and will not wrap with anything stretchy, like those polyester wraps. I have made the jump to the new technology of velcro, but I actually still have a couple of sets that need pins. The velcro wraps were purchased for my kids while they were in Pony Club, because it was just too hard for them to use pins, and Pony Club frowns on mom doing all the wrapping, especially for those ratings! I found our flannel wraps with velcro at Dovers, but I don't know if they still sell them. I do have some lovely homemade ones, which is an option if you want to use pins. Just buy some heavy flannel and make them yourself.

I still keep my flannel wraps around and will use them again if I need to, as I prefer them to the stretchy sort. I've used both Velcro and non and don't really have a preference. Mine are unfinished on the edges for the most part. I have one set that is stitched edge to recent unravelling, but I don't like how they make a tighter spot, like it might be like a string tied around the leg.

If you have a wrap eater, however, flannel tears more easily than knit and mine figured that out fast. Of course, knit might not tear as easily, but then they pull and stretch around the leg and I worry about that damage too. Oh, that horse gave me fits (bowed tendon meant wrapping, especially after some of the treatments)!