The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Lightweight Fly Sheet and the Deep South

Considering purchasing a Crusader ultra light fly sheet for my horse who is extremely sensitive to flies and other biting insects. He is kept in the stall during the day and turned out around 5pm. During the summer months the hottest part of the day is between 5 to 6 pm before the temperature starts to drop. During this time the bugs are really bad and the horses are extremely sweaty and miserable. Considering buying an ultra light fly sheet to give him so relief. The company advertises that it will keep your horse cool while protected from bugs. My concern is because of our high temps and humidity - we live in the deep South - that layering my horse with a fly sheet could overheat him. Does anyone have any experience with these sheets that lives in the South or know the material they are made of? Also has anyone had an adverse experience with turning their horse out at night wearing a sheet?

I can answer part of your question. The material is very light weight and not as form-fitting as many fly sheets. That it stands off from the horse allows greater air flow. It's very reflective, which would be desirable for daytime turnout.

Not the same fly sheet, but I bought my horses Amigo Mio fly sheets this year. Yesterday was their first day wearing them. They're reflective and lightweight, although my horses were quite warm in them. Both of them were sweaty when I took the sheets off. The high temp only got up to 80 yesterday, although it was more humid than usual. I'm hoping the high humidity was the issue and they'll be able to wear them on less humid summer days.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I'm not familiar with that one personally but have used Kensington since 98 with great results. While it feels heavy, it breathes...the key is to get your horse accustomed to it early. My horses wore their sheets 24/7....I need new ones. AND your horse will have the shiniest coat ever!

Having said that...someone gave me a Weaver with belly and neck all in one. It was great..and very thin...but my horse pretty much shredded it first season.

Oh yes, I'm in South Florida!
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

I've had good luck with the Baker fly sheet. Breathable and durable. Mine is going on year 4 right now and has stood up to my mare's whorish ways with the geldings on each side of her paddock.

I think the lightest sheet out there by far is the saratoga horseworks one. Anything else my horse sweats in.

We're warmbloods, and in the sticky, humid south.

The Bucas sun shower sheets are too sweaty now. They were OK in the winter, but now, well, too hot to wear in the rain. (They were not for bugs but for rain sheets.)

We bought the rambo sweet itch hoodies and hope they work this summer. Usually we're just coated with fly spray each day, and turned out at night in summer. Too dark for flymasks all night, so we have a layer of fly spray on our faces, especially under our eyes, and on our ears. We're almost ready for summer turnout. Bugs are out and bugs are biting.

One of us once boarded where a horse had the mesh rambo fly sheet. It worked well for him as it was not heavy or hot. The Dover flysheets a BO had our owner buy years ago were too heavy and hot so she gave them away.

I live in Va and my Tb mare lives out 24/7. I have used the Schneider's brand micro mesh fly sheets for quite a few years. My mare does get a little sweaty under them, but when I look at the other horses, she is no sweatier than they are. I try to have several of them on hand so I can change and wash at least once per week.

Bumping this up what fly sheets do you use?

My other favorite thing I purchased last year is the Amigo Fly Rider sheet. Great for riding and it doesn't make the horse too hot. My mare wears her turnout fly sheet pretty much 24/7, except when I remove for grooming/riding.

These are BY FAR the lightest fly sheet I've ever seen. They're cheap and they wear decently well. I love them and and hope they always make them. I use them in the summer when it gets really warm. Although I don't really have to worry about that anymore being up here in the PNW, they worked really well in the 100 degrees plus with 100% humidity weather in Indiana. You can find them in other sizes but it takes some googling.
    "Be the change you want to see in the world."
    ~Mahatma Gandhi

After a week, my guys have really come to appreciate their Amigo Mio Fly Sheets! They don't seem hot at all in them now, I think it was the humidity that first day.

The donkey has a Schneider's Micro-Mesh Fly Sheet. It's really nice quality but the neck/chest has a weird fit. I'm not sure if the larger horse sizes would have the same problem.

Our weather has only been in the mid-80s so far this season, we'll see how they all fare when it gets really hot!
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

I am trending towards being an Old Geezer based on my "over 50" age and I am very traditional in my horse care- keep it basic, correct and I don't use gimmicks. Let them be horses for goodness sake!

That being said I noticed my nearly black Connemara seemed unusually uncomfortable with our heat and fly's the past two summers that I've owned her. A fly mask alone with liberal fly spray use just wasn't cutting it so I ordered the Amigo Mio Fly sheet for her. My jaw dropped watching her turned out with the sheet on beside my other un-sheeted mare. In 5 minutes time that I spent leaning on the fence watching them graze, the Connemara did not swish her tail or swing her head around once, not one time. My chestnut mare was in constant motion swishing her tail and swinging her head around.

I am a believer now and have ordered a sheet for the chestnut mare.

1 members found this post helpful.

How about for a very wide big chested mare? Paint with pink skin on neck. 15.2-.3 with huge barrel.

Not answering your question, but responding to Mariequi. I'm getting ready to try the Amigo Stock Horse Flysheet. It says it's made for the broad stock-horse type.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

Hi there, you may not remember posting this but I wanted to find out if you tried the Amigo Stock Horse Flysheet. Did it fit? Hold up to daily use? Thanks.

Schneider's Mosquito Mesh Fly Sheet - with belly band. Just posted about it on another thread. Very light weight yet durable.

I would definitely go with the Saratoga Summer Turnout from Saratoga Horseworks! They are by far the lightest fly sheet I've seen. They work great for the hot and humid temperatures. They are also very durable and have this "invisible gusset" in the shoulders that prevents shoulder rubs, which was a problem I had with other fly sheets. You can order right from their website www.horseworks.com. You can even customize your fly sheet's trim color!
    Proud owner of Belle- 17.2h PerchxTB-wannabe dressage horse & Fayah 14.1H arab-trail horse extroidinaire!