The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Afternoons are usually the quietest time at our barn. I am schooling Mr Ay rab, just trying to enjoy the day and the riding. All of a sudden from back barn a barrage of WHOA! ....WALK!......WHOA!.....WALK! in a very loud voice, accompanied by gaited horse rhythms, a sorrel streak going by door...yes, it's the lady who rides once every 6 months. She takes a turn, then her friend. All commands given at 1000 decibels. You know you've reached the pinnacle of horsemanship when both you and your horse look out the arena door and think WTF! at the same time. Well, we managed to finish our ride in one piece, but believe me, if they had come into the indoor, it would have been immediate dismount. I've had one trip to the ER this year and that is my limit!

I like the woman but I'd love to take her aside and say, in the kindest way possible, yelling commands as loud as you can does not make the horse behave any better. Really. Perhaps riding her more often would help?

I was at a barn similar to the one described by OP. Facilities were nice, but I saw things that made me want to smash my face against the wall on a daily basis.

Here is the thing: not only are certain ppl clueless, they DO NOT LEARN from experience. Example: one guy who didn't tie correctly had a horse with rope burns on his legs. one month later, same guy ties his daughter's horse the same way. Guess what happens?

This dude is president of a chapter of Western Saddle Club Assoc. The entire chapter, from what I could see, was made up of similarly minded idiots, and lots of kids getting a poor horse education. A lot of them have had horses for decades. All of them have had accidents, dead horses from poor management, saddle sores, etc etc. No one gets a clue.

I decided after that experience to never board at a barn without a resident trainer & involved BO again.

You really do run out of facilities. The place I have been with best horse people was ratty. Do I let my horse live in mud, or do I board with idiots who put me, horse & themsleves in danger?

1 members found this post helpful.

Boarding is really crazy. Lots of lama drama going on that is for sure.

This is why I saved $$, and finally got my own place.

3 members found this post helpful.

There are some folks at our barn who think what we do is crazy. Like clipping, jumping, etc.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

2 members found this post helpful.

Nutty week for sure. Had someone scream at me about the gashes in their mare's face. Um, no. It was places where she'd rubbed the hair off itching on a tree with sap. Literally, hair rubbed off. Not a gash. No blood. Just exposed the skin.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Shudder. I tell you, I do not miss boarding. And I will remember this thread the next time I lose my mind (in, oh, January or so) and want to go back to it. You have my sympathies my friends!

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    There are some folks at our barn who think what we do is crazy. Like clipping, jumping, etc.
    Ah, yes.. I was told by my dear monster-in-law after she witnessed me vacuum my sand covered horse "In Texas, WE don't spoil our horses".

I told her, 'Yeah.. here in CT we like to cure and avoid rain rot and saddle sores. Guess that's spoilin' 'em".

We need another OT day just so I can vent on my MILs philosophies on animals yet, how much she wuuuvs them. (insert eyeroll here).

Man, I'm cranky.

5 members found this post helpful.

Heh-heh; this is why I've learned to board mostly retirees. Horses are EASY--it's their PEOPLE who'll make you talk to yourself and take up drink!

The best are the owners on "Auto-Pay," who live out of state . . .

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Slewdledo View Post
    Nutty week for sure. Had someone scream at me about the gashes in their mare's face. Um, no. It was places where she'd rubbed the hair off itching on a tree with sap. Literally, hair rubbed off. Not a gash. No blood. Just exposed the skin.
    Are you serious???
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    . . . after she witnessed me vacuum my sand covered horse "In Texas, WE don't spoil our horses".
    . . .
    Who's spoiling the horse - I'm spoiling me if I get me a little Dirt Devil to get the clods off and get down to the skin and give a good massage. They're $59.99 at the Kroger marketplace but I know I can get one cheaper if I just shop around or wait.

This isn't a boarding story, sad to say, my DD has a friend with a pony and Dad parks the tractor in the little Carolina carport/barn/hay storage. Pony somehow gets hung up in the tractor and must have lightly degloved herself, taken off all the hair and some skin as no stitches were mentioned. Winds up at vet's, now has to be wrapped daily.

Dad is all PO'd at little friend for letting the pony get into the tractor, which was parked by him in the open access stall bay. So. Whose fault is that anyway?
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

3 members found this post helpful.

OP can I come drink with you?

Went out to feed my girls today and their gate was wide open. Umm.... I'm the only one that does anything with them, including feeding. Both of them are standing in the middle of their field, staring bug eyed at something in the distance. Turns out one of the boarders (who comes out mayyybe once a month) had decided that it would be nice to hack around their girl's paddock with one infant in one of those baby carriers and his 4 year old TIED TO HIS SADDLE. Literally. With rope.

He comes cantering over (spooking my girls in the process) and says that he didn't think that my horses would leave but he didn't want to have to get off again to open the gate, since it was a hassle with the kids.

No. None were wearing helmets. After I tightened his girth and told him that he'd gotten lucky this time, but he really needed to read a book, he cantered back up to the barn. This kind of crap happens all the time.

I mention it to my BO and she says.. not my problem. It will be honey, if MY horses get out. I can't wait to get out of that place.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

6 members found this post helpful.

Oh, Minion.. Im so sorry.
    Reminds me of a story a friend shared about HER barn. No open gates, but horses being free lunged, 2 at a time in the indoor. Geezer/ noobie/ wannabe on his wild 5 y.o. decides he'll take free lunger's word that it's safe to ride in arena at same time of free lunging.

He decided it was a bad idea after his horse got mounted a THIRD time with him still in the saddle.

More beer please. Heineken light or Spaten..Thanks.

Hmm the other day my BM took some clients over to a public place for xcountry schooling. Another group was in the ring lunging w/ the ring gate closed = good; group got on, still w/ gate closed = good.. group finishes in the ring -starts untacking but first opens the ring gate hmm. then group decides to remove bridles completely so they could put on their halters = loose horses. Good thing my BM and her crew were there on the XC course to help round up their horses LOL

Oh gees where do I begin?

- Leading horses without leadropes
    - Allowing badly mannered dogs to run in ring and chase/follow horses (while I am TRYING to enjoy my ride thank you very much!)
    - cantering horse INTO barn while laying on horses neck to avoid head getting taken off (rear horse rear! jk)
    -keeping various dogs in hayloft as they urinate ALL OVER THE HAY!!!
    - SMOKING IN THE BARN!!! ( can you get any stupider?!?)
    - yelling and hitting horse after they finally catch him a half hour later (make that an hour next time you try)
    - immediately forcefeeding horse grain when he is sick and vet is coming and they don't know what's wrong with it (overweight horse that only hadn't ate that morning I might add!)
    - yelling at me because I use a "cruel" bit (D ring snaffle with French link) while they yank on their mechanical hackamores that are adjusted so low they are ON horses nostrils!!
    - Continuing to feed their horse grain after vet told them horse is obese and to stop feeding him all that grain.
    - telling me their horse is not thin he just needs to build muscle and once hes ridden more he will gain weight. Huuuhhhh???? (Horses bcs: 2.5, I am still scratching my head over that one)
    - Wondering why Donkey gets thrush all the time while donkey stands nearby in mud filled poop filled pen and never gets hooves cleaned out.
    - Wonders why mini is literally rubbing herself bloody, doesn't bother to take closer look and see that mini is CRAWLING with lice
    - Horse show parent screaming at child to SMILE and LOOK LIKE YOUR HAVING FUN! (poor kid looks terrified)

Icould go on and on but I think I'll stop there for now And don't get me wrong, I've done some things that Ive regretted, but I LEARN from my mistakes (mostly) and none of them were to crazy
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

I do not board, thankfully, anymore. I did take a project pony to her pony kids' 4H fun show yesterday, where I saw:
    - a terrifying gaited horse with an equally terrified looking kid riding around. The horse was spooking, threatening to rear, etc.
    - a TB with a body condition score of ~2.5 with a teenager who rode him *all day* who still had "energy", with her bragging ringside loudly how she had saved him, and all he would do is rear when she first got him. She rode him in all the English classes, then switched to a western saddle and did all of the gaming classes
    - gaming horses who were obviously good and hot gaming horses, with terrified children up, one of whom had tied feet into the stirrups
    - a not so small girl on a medium pony with a very ill-fitting english saddle who was so unfit that she couldn't mount him from the ground, and she was gaming this pony.
    - a beginner on a thoroughbred that couldn't be long off the track in a huge shanked bit, who was rearing and bunny hopping so much that he kept dislodging her from the saddle
    - a large adult man who had a gaming horse with so much equipment...and the horse was so hot and gate sour he had to walk it into the ring, he would wrap the reins around his hand, and then flap his arms so much that the bit actually flipped around in the horse's mouth, which he then had to fix by nearly pulling the horse over on himself because he couldn't get her stopped (terrifying)

Lest you all think I was picking on the gaming horses, this particular club just had an extremely large number of them. There were good gaming riders there also, and good English riders.

At this same show another breed show was going on, and I saw a woman riding a gorgeous horse in tight draw reins in a ring bit with a single twisted wire mouthpiece (yes, I saw the mouthpiece as he came trotting by me).

Another horse was trantering as she popped him repeatedly in the face with a curb bit. Another woman came into the ring where all of these 4H kids with the aforementioned interesting horses were warming up, and proceeded to longe her very lazy horse, while proceeding to pop and snap the longe whip at him every 3 seconds. Also, someone brought their border collie to the show who came down to the 4Hers ring and was nipping the horses in the heels as they went by.

*blink blink*

It did, however, prove to me that the stupid and cruel somehow have luck that will let them live forever, and that horses are the most patient creatures in the world. It also proved to me that my project pony is an absolute saint, as this was her first show, and she proceeded to not only deal with all of that completely in stride, but also won a bunch of ribbons with her kid, and snoozed ringside!

Jeez Louise!!! Y'all have some seriously scary stories. Things like that just do NOT happen at the barn where I board. Only bad scary thing I can recall happened to me when I first got there - hot wire at ground level was hidden by grass and my horse touched it while grazing, resulted in serious rope burns to my hands (idiot me didn't instantly let go). Ever since then the grass near this hot wire has been kept immaculately trimmed.
    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Oh the joys of boarding.

We've had this discussion before. There's something about horse people that makes them less than willing to admit they don't know something or just maybe they are wrong.

And I agree, the BM sets the tone for the barn and of course, I am right about this.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

Quote Originally Posted by Thoro View Post
    This amazes me. I've been riding for 35 years and every barn I've been to people smoke. I'm surprised more barns don't burn down.

Quote Originally Posted by Hippolyta View Post
    Here is the thing: not only are certain ppl clueless, they DO NOT LEARN from experience.
    This is what I completely don't get.

Sometimes I want to ask people, "OK, if you saw some anonymous poster on COTH typing out what your trainer **just said** and asking if this was a good idea, would you REALLY be ok with it? You'd be typing back, "Yes, that sounds lovely!" Because I'm just wondering since when did "Just put a mack truck in the horse's mouth and let the bit do the training" become all okey dokeys?"

Quote Originally Posted by Thoro View Post
    Oh gees where do I begin?

- Leading horses without leadropes
    - Allowing badly mannered dogs to run in ring and chase/follow horses (while I am TRYING to enjoy my ride thank you very much!)
    - cantering horse INTO barn while laying on horses neck to avoid head getting taken off (rear horse rear! jk)
    -keeping various dogs in hayloft as they urinate ALL OVER THE HAY!!!
    - yelling and hitting horse after they finally catch him a half hour later (make that an hour next time you try)
    - immediately forcefeeding horse grain when he is sick and vet is coming and they don't know what's wrong with it (overweight horse that only hadn't ate that morning I might add!)
    - yelling at me because I use a "cruel" bit (D ring snaffle with French link) while they yank on their mechanical hackamores that are adjusted so low they are ON horses nostrils!!
    - Continuing to feed their horse grain after vet told them horse is obese and to stop feeding him all that grain.
    - telling me their horse is not thin he just needs to build muscle and once hes ridden more he will gain weight. Huuuhhhh???? (Horses bcs: 2.5, I am still scratching my head over that one)
    - Wondering why Donkey gets thrush all the time while donkey stands nearby in mud filled poop filled pen and never gets hooves cleaned out.
    - Wonders why mini is literally rubbing herself bloody, doesn't bother to take closer look and see that mini is CRAWLING with lice
    - Horse show parent screaming at child to SMILE and LOOK LIKE YOUR HAVING FUN! (poor kid looks terrified)

Icould go on and on but I think I'll stop there for now And don't get me wrong, I've done some things that Ive regretted, but I LEARN from my mistakes (mostly) and none of them were to crazy
    Are you seriously AT a barn where all this is happening right now? Because this is one mistake I would learn from, and leave...