The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 49
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,460

    Default What the hell??

    My brain is about to explode from the things I've witnessed this week. Like people in denial about horse health to safety, to training.

    In the last week I've witnessed a beginner (who calls herself an expert trainer) ride her 'wild' OTTB bareback and helmetless INTO my low-ceiling, concrete-floored barn and dismount 6" from my horse's nose WHILE HE WAS IN CROSS TIES.

    I've had people absolutely dumbstruck why their horse was backsore and belligerent about tracking one way... and in the next breath lament that they really can't afford a new saddle even though theirs has a broken tree.

    People 'training' their baby to let people cross UNDER the belly.

    People crying that their horse was lame, and that I "should keep an eye on that" even though 5 months ago the vet warned the horse will likely need the big sleep if his arthritis and subsequent joint damage isn't addressed-- which it has not be.

    People who are alarmed their ulcer suffering horse is 'so lethargic' after spending an hour or two on pasture.

    Folks who can't understand that ringworm makes horses bald. And use blankets, brushes, and equipment interchangeably.

    People who think it's okay to handle a fractious horse with a 3' threadbare cotton rope for a long walk along the road to turn out because they're too cheap to replace it. Better their horse hurts itself, gets hit by a car, squashes the handler, etc. instead of spending $10 on a chain shank.

    This is just a little bit of it. I can't believe the level of stupid in horses these days.. Sometimes I think it's just me being a hard-ass, so please.. share your stories of dumb horsemanship.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2009
    Location
    Virginia
    Posts
    621

    Default

    From your second paragraph, I get the impression that you own the barn? Correct me if I'm wrong.

    I've seen a few things this week, too.

    Beginner lesson rider had her horse's halter on upside down. One of the barn staff immediately stepped up and showed her the correct way to put on the halter.

    Boarder who should know better took her horse out of the stall without a leadline. While one barn worker asked "Where's your leadline?", another boarder simultaneously handed her a leadline.

    A rider started to mount her horse in the indoor and several other riders immediately called out, "You forgot your helmet!". Sheepish rider gets down and puts on helmet that is handed to her.

    When the BM/BO sets safety standards and enforces them, it sets the tone for the whole barn and incidents of stupidity decrease.


    40 members found this post helpful.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun. 9, 2012
    Posts
    215

    Default

    I pray your insurance agent/company never reads this thread and refer to everything Beasting said, especially the last paragraph. The last paragraph needs to be read over and over and over again.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug. 9, 2008
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    42

    Default

    Been there....and learned to look the other way. Stupidity has no limits. Sadly Darwins theory should eliminate them, but it is much like drunks in traffic accidents, they survive and the innocents die. Ignorance is indeed bliss.


    4 members found this post helpful.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Sep. 7, 2009
    Location
    Lexington, KY
    Posts
    17,808

    Default

    That's why I have only one boarder...I assume you own the barn. If you do, enforce sensible rules, if you don't...I'd be moving to a barn that does.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant


    3 members found this post helpful.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2005
    Location
    between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina
    Posts
    2,936

    Default

    I agree with BeaSting. If it is your barn, do you think now would be a good time to start setting standards which you expect to be followed? You cannot stop people from making stupid mistakes once, but you can teach them the correct way so they know for next time.

    Shockingly to those of us who have been around horses for years and think we've seen everything there is to see, often people genuinely don't know any better and would like to learn the easy way, for a change. Or they make a mistake. No one is perfect. Next time you see something ridiculous - complain and sigh in your head, take a deep breath, wait 10 seconds, then do something about it. You'll feel better about yourself too.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey


    4 members found this post helpful.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    My brain is about to explode from the things I've witnessed this week. Like people in denial about horse health to safety, to training.

    In the last week I've witnessed a beginner (who calls herself an expert trainer) ride her 'wild' OTTB bareback and helmetless INTO my low-ceiling, concrete-floored barn and dismount 6" from my horse's nose WHILE HE WAS IN CROSS TIES.

    I've had people absolutely dumbstruck why their horse was backsore and belligerent about tracking one way... and in the next breath lament that they really can't afford a new saddle even though theirs has a broken tree.

    People 'training' their baby to let people cross UNDER the belly.

    People crying that their horse was lame, and that I "should keep an eye on that" even though 5 months ago the vet warned the horse will likely need the big sleep if his arthritis and subsequent joint damage isn't addressed-- which it has not be.

    People who are alarmed their ulcer suffering horse is 'so lethargic' after spending an hour or two on pasture.

    Folks who can't understand that ringworm makes horses bald. And use blankets, brushes, and equipment interchangeably.

    People who think it's okay to handle a fractious horse with a 3' threadbare cotton rope for a long walk along the road to turn out because they're too cheap to replace it. Better their horse hurts itself, gets hit by a car, squashes the handler, etc. instead of spending $10 on a chain shank.

    This is just a little bit of it. I can't believe the level of stupid in horses these days.. Sometimes I think it's just me being a hard-ass, so please.. share your stories of dumb horsemanship.
    You mention "my barn" in here, so I am reading into that ownership of said place. If it was me, these things would add up to the straw that broke the camel's back and I'd be serving notice to vacate to everyone. Especially the one in the cross ties and the one with the broken saddle. If they can't afford a saddle that isn't broken, how can they afford their board?

    On the lame horse issue, you could have a real hot potato there if someone doesn't do something soon. Trust me on this. A very long, sordid and sad story behind my view on that. Either insist they get veterinary care NOW or tell them to move on.
    Last edited by RubyTuesday; May. 19, 2013 at 12:17 PM.


    6 members found this post helpful.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2011
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    Not really sure what your situation is but it sounds like you either board in a really sucky barn or have ignorant/trashy clients boarding in your barn.

    If you board there you could high-tail it our of there.

    If you manage/own the place why in God's green earth haven't you:
    1. Put the know-it-all trainers in their place re: barn safety and
    2. Lay it out to owners what acceptable standards of care for boarders choosing to patronize your facility? Your barn, your liability, your insurance, your ass, your reputation in the community, horses in your care!

    My BO would be on bloody rampage if that were going on in her property. Whatever your situation is I feel for ya. I wouldn't want to be stuck around something like that and I sure as hell wouldn't want to be in any sort of position where I could be held liable for the actions of those sort of people. Hope you get it under control or end up in a better place.


    5 members found this post helpful.

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    On the weekends I have been going out later after 5:00 pm to avoid the toddlers in the ring, loose dogs, pavement riders and other things that just make having a young OTTB too stressful. I have mentioned it to the BM but really it is just not worth the stress.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Mar. 27, 2010
    Location
    TX
    Posts
    249

    Default

    If this is a barn you board at I would leave. I have left barns before because of constant behavior you describe. If this is your barn, makes rules and enforce them. Otherwise, you will chase away the type of people you would like to have.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Jan. 6, 2003
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    3,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    On the weekends I have been going out later after 5:00 pm to avoid the toddlers in the ring, loose dogs, pavement riders and other things that just make having a young OTTB too stressful. I have mentioned it to the BM but really it is just not worth the stress.
    Pretty much the philosophy I've adopted. I make myself scarce, but then I'm accused of being anti-social.

    'My' referring to where I board. Many situations witnessed in other barns I attend in passing.. ie: not FT ee, not a trainer or boarder.

    I agree on the insurance thing. Owners see this stuff and turn a blind eye, perhaps afraid of losing clients in bad economy, but not afraid of losing it ALL in a lawsuit.

    And sadly, when I take a deep breath, check myself and timidly try to offer the suggestion that what they're doing is unsafe or even detrimental, I get the "PFFFFT!!! What do you know?! I've been doing it this way for YEEEEEEEARS" response.

    Fools and idiots indeed have guardian angels working overtime. Thankfully.

    Would love to hear other stories. Head's still about to explode over here. More gems:
    Wondering why Trigger breaks out of a LITERALLY rope strung paddock perimeter
    Why Trigger is lame and has severe thrush while shoes are overgrown around feet by 3/4"
    Wondering why all the Triggers drag you into the stall, when you've habitually put the grain in BEFORE the horse.
    Bad hay, and feeding it for fear of pissing off the hay man (he's my only contact)
    Wondering why barefoot horses turned out on pebbles get broken up feet
    Bringing new horses into an essentially unvaccinated barn. Straight from the show.

    Again, the above is a conglomeration of what I've seen in recent month and not specific to one area/ barn/ business. Which is particularly frustrating thinking this goes on in so many places.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jun. 18, 2011
    Posts
    1,324

    Default

    Damn. You need a new barn.

    I once went on a trail ride with a girl who thought it was cute to let her mare rub her head on my gelding's butt, encouraged the horse to do it, while we were riding! I warned her twice, both times the twit giggled and told me "it's so KYOOOT when she does that her wittle face it itchy!!!" Third time I let my horse double barrel her and her horse (got the mare in chest and the girl in the knee). She backed her horse off my horse's ass the rest of the ride. I *lost* her number after that, never rode with her again.


    16 members found this post helpful.

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Oct. 27, 2009
    Posts
    1,725

    Default

    It is threads like these that make me SO incredibly appreciative of my barn. My trainer/owner is very selective about who she lets in to board and does not put up with crap. The barn and grounds are immaculately kept and we've got a fabulous barn full of conscientious, friendly people who thrive on learning. We've got one person who I would consider our bad egg... But she's probablyonly a bad egg in relation to everyone else at the barn. Anywhere else I'm guessing she's only be considered a minor PITA.

    Find a new barn. They are out there, although you often have to pay a premium for them.


    3 members found this post helpful.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sansena View Post
    Pretty much the philosophy I've adopted. I make myself scarce, but then I'm accused of being anti-social.

    'My' referring to where I board. Many situations witnessed in other barns I attend in passing.. ie: not FT ee, not a trainer or boarder.

    I agree on the insurance thing. Owners see this stuff and turn a blind eye, perhaps afraid of losing clients in bad economy, but not afraid of losing it ALL in a lawsuit.

    And sadly, when I take a deep breath, check myself and timidly try to offer the suggestion that what they're doing is unsafe or even detrimental, I get the "PFFFFT!!! What do you know?! I've been doing it this way for YEEEEEEEARS" response.

    Fools and idiots indeed have guardian angels working overtime. Thankfully.

    Would love to hear other stories. Head's still about to explode over here. More gems:
    Wondering why Trigger breaks out of a LITERALLY rope strung paddock perimeter
    Why Trigger is lame and has severe thrush while shoes are overgrown around feet by 3/4"
    Wondering why all the Triggers drag you into the stall, when you've habitually put the grain in BEFORE the horse.
    Bad hay, and feeding it for fear of pissing off the hay man (he's my only contact)
    Wondering why barefoot horses turned out on pebbles get broken up feet
    Bringing new horses into an essentially unvaccinated barn. Straight from the show.

    Again, the above is a conglomeration of what I've seen in recent month and not specific to one area/ barn/ business. Which is particularly frustrating thinking this goes on in so many places.
    I'd be running away from such a place...just showing up with my trailer and taking off with my horses. This is exactly the sort of stuff that first moved me into a self-care facility with no other horses and then prompted me to buy my own property. If I had to be in a "full care" (and I use that term very loosely, because the word "care" seldom happens in such places) facility again I would just sell out my horses and be done. I can't live with that kind of aggravation nor can I stand by and see MY property mistreated, misfed or badly kept up after by someone I am paying $$$ to.



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Sep. 6, 2012
    Location
    Moved South from North Pole
    Posts
    727

    Default

    Makes you wonder if a lot of horse owners ever read books on horsekeeping or took riding lessons or use the internet to research anything about horses or riding.

    You really do have to turn your head and ignore so much. And even people who claim to be trainers and experts and claim to have been in pony club do things that are totally crazy and dangerous.

    OP try to ignore things, try to avoid things, and go home and have a glass of wine.


    2 members found this post helpful.

  16. #16
    Join Date
    Feb. 14, 2010
    Posts
    2,993

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
    Makes you wonder if a lot of horse owners ever read books on horsekeeping or took riding lessons or use the internet to research anything about horses or riding.

    You really do have to turn your head and ignore so much. And even people who claim to be trainers and experts and claim to have been in pony club do things that are totally crazy and dangerous.

    OP try to ignore things, try to avoid things, and go home and have a glass of wine.
    Why should she? She is PAYING to be in this place!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 7, 2006
    Posts
    8,644

    Default

    It's just the general human condition where a truly surprising number of people can't help themselves.

    Like, just because successfully cooking rice by reading the instructions in the side of the bag and...following them is easy for you (just an example I have recently encountered), that does not mean that other people can figure it out. So when you substitute 'a cup of rice' with 'a large, living horse,' it is not like these people suddenly grow brain cells.

    Recently a town clerk asked me, after I handed her a proof of rabies which stated the dog was two years old in 2011, what year my dog was born in. I refused to help her out with this on principle so I just widened my eyes and said, " well, she's from a shelter so it's anyone's guess."
    You think if that one buys a horse she will suddenly be able to, literally, put two and two together?


    2 members found this post helpful.

  18. #18
    Join Date
    Nov. 18, 2010
    Location
    california
    Posts
    4,222

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by RubyTuesday View Post
    Why should she? She is PAYING to be in this place!
    Because you run out of facilities. Sometimes you have to ignore the stupidity and be protective of your horses and find a way to cope. I have been at my current barn for over 10 years and I have boarded at worse barns with my young OTTB having to go where his baby trainer worked. It is also a small horse area where I live and I don't want to go from barn to barn nor be known to go from barn to barn.


    9 members found this post helpful.

  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov. 13, 2009
    Posts
    4,571

    Default

    Yep, this kind of stuff goes on all over. So far, the two best places I have encountered as far as these kinds of things go are: (1) the h/j facility where I boarded as a teen which was owned by Beezie Madden's parents (they ran a tight ship); and (2) the eventing barn where I currently board (tight ship, and also a pretty educated client base supported by trainer involvement).

    Other than that, I've seen places that are all over the board. One high end h/j facility where the owner/trainer would get on her GP jumper stallion IN THE CONCRETE AISLE and RIDE HIM AT A TROT down the aisle and out to the outdoor (or into the indoor in winter). Every day. She developed this system with him (mounting in the aisle and trotting out) because he would otherwise rear upon mounting. Anyway, she was very talented and otherwise made *mostly* reasonable choices most of the time...although she did once accidentally JUMP my horse that was rehabbing a suspensory while he was only at the trot stage of his rehab. She was looking down at her phone, and he jumped a small jump. Nice.

    The multi-discipline place I boarded for a short time was probably the worst, though. Those people were just plain terrifying in a generalized way, and really never made any good or safe decisions at all, ever.


    1 members found this post helpful.

  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2005
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    10,420

    Default

    Sigh! Just came off a discussion with another rider about the vocabulary of long time "horse people", and the knowledge acquired over the years. So that when you lead a horse with out a lead rope from stall to crossties, the back of your mind is nagging you about it. That you can spot good hay from bad hay and different hays from across the room, locking feed up is automatic, reading equine body language is second nature, etc. etc.

    Sounding like a safety drill sergeant, and setting good example, while being able to explain why you do what you do is just part of a BO,BM's job description. Lucky them. The good ones earn their pay.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.


    2 members found this post helpful.

Similar Threads

  1. Clinic hell
    By Elegante E in forum Dressage
    Replies: 105
    Last Post: Jan. 18, 2007, 12:42 AM
  2. Neighbors from hell...continued.
    By TropicalStorm in forum Off Course
    Replies: 196
    Last Post: May. 24, 2006, 11:25 PM
  3. What the HELL Does the USOC Think It's Doing Now?
    By Portia in forum Hunter/Jumper
    Replies: 142
    Last Post: Sep. 27, 2002, 05:50 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
randomness