The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse completely intolerant of Back on Track Quick Wraps

He's been stocking up on stall rest and I've kept him in no-bows and standing bandages 8 on, 8 off. I have long-standing travel obligations coming up, though, and bought the quick wraps to make it easier on all involved. He's completely fine with the fronts but the rear boots drive him absolutely crazy. He kicks out with so much force trying to rid himself of them that I'm worried he's already set back the healing of his suspensory. I have not been able to find a single reference to a horse that doesn't tolerate these (and we've checked fit and positioning). Geez, is there anything else to check or am I back at square one for the time I'm traveling and have help tending him?

Does he have this behavior as soon as you put them on him?

The directions say to start by leaving them on for 20 minutes, then gradually working up to longer time periods. If you have left them on longer, from the beginning, then they may be too much for him to handle.

Just a thought.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

1 members found this post helpful.

He started right away. He's accustomed to the ceramic fibers because I've been using their no-bows without problem, but something about this boot specifically I guess.

Do your standing wraps usually come as low as the Quick Wraps? He may not like that around his feet.
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

Maybe he doesn't like the closer fit around his fetlock and pastern?

I used to use the BOT no bows in back and the wrap boots in front. This spring, the BOT's were 15% off, so I bought the large size wrap boots for the back, too. My mare did not have any trouble with them. They are so much easier to put on, than have to wrap with the no bows (especially for my aged knees and back .)

Sorry that they are not working for you. They really help to bring down any filling that my mare has in her legs.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

A lot of horses don't like wraps that are too low behind. I always have to make sure to wrap fairly high on my boy or he'll kick at them all night.

My mare wears them without complaint It's too bad he hates them so much!

Going to hijack this thread for a minute..

Does anyone ship with the quick wraps?

Quote Originally Posted by bM View Post
    Going to hijack this thread for a minute..

Does anyone ship with the quick wraps?
    When I ship in wraps I ship in the BOT quick wraps.

The benefits of wraps is questionable to very minimal in the first place unless there is swelling that needs to be controlled. If he objects to them that much, I'd not use them.
    Click here before you buy.

My aged gelding will wear just about every product BOT makes (and the quick wraps work amazing on him), but absolutely will not tolerate the hock boots... which is what I assume you mean when you say boots? My horse will respond violently the instant they are on. I don't know why, he's fine with BOT products anywhere else on his body, but I trust his judgement and don't use them.
    Worry is the biggest enemy of the present... it’s like using your imagination to create things you don’t want.
    An adorable photography book, makes a perfect gift.

If you are strictly worried about stocking up; I would try high dose MSM. My horse is at barn with limited turnout and would stock up all the time. I put her on 15,000 mg of MSM and no more stocking up. Ran out of the MSM once and stocking up came back pretyy quick and went away again as soon as she was back on MSM. I recommened to another friend whose horse stocked up in his stall and she had the same positive effects as me within just a few weeks.