The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What do you think of this idea?

Regarding my jingles needed thread, so far my mare is making small but positive improvements each day. The filly remains great. I am hopeful that they will come home in the next week or two and want to get my place ready as my mare is going to need a ton of aftercare. The mare needs to be stall confined for the next 30 days and then allowed into a small paddock for another 60 days, then hopefully back out as normal to her full pasture.

Obviously all this confinement is not great for the foal. During the first 3 months I can hand graze the mare in her large pasture for 15 minutes 3-4 times a day which will allow the foal to run around during those periods.

I had an idea this morning that might work but wanted some opinions. When I bring them home I am going to keep them in their run in and use my pipe panels to shrink the attached paddock size and make the space very small. Over time I can keep moving these pipe panels out to allow more use of the attached paddock that is approx 40X200. However, I was thinking today what if I cut out the lower three rails of one of the pipe panel, just leaving the top three rails. This way the foal could go under and have access to the entire paddock while my mare is confined to the small area as she would not fit under. I don't think my mare would mind too much as she would be able to see the foal the entire time.

What do you think? I am trying to figure out how to balance what is absolutely needed for the mare, but would be beneficial for the foal at the same time.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

I think that might cause panic in one or both of them. I would continue to handwalk when possible. Best of luck!
    Kendra
    Runningwater Warmbloods & Mare Station

Home of SPS Diorella (Donnerhall/ Akut), EMC What Fun (Wolkentanz I/ Lauries Crusador), and EMC Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) 'Like' us on Facebook

4 members found this post helpful.

I totally agree with RunningWaterWBs comment. Handwalk is the best way to start out. Have someone walk with your mare on the opposite side as a precaution. Do what your vet says and do not cut any corner!

2 members found this post helpful.

Handwalk, sure, but if you had a fairly calm mare and showed the filly the "reverse creep feeder" and the way in and out while you had the mare under control (and maybe the filly haltered as well) I'm sure she'll quickly learn how to get in and out.
    Click here before you buy.

Young foals routinely panic, and will go through fences before they figure out where the opening is. Not to mention what mom might do if the young foal gets too far away. By the time the foal is old enough to cope well with that strategy, the mare will be on full turnout.

Hand grazing (track-style... with one person on each side of the halter for the first few times) is the way to go. Though this not ideal, many foals have had to deal with restricted turnout and have grown up just fine.
    "No matter how cynical I get its just not enough to keep up." Lily Tomlin

2 members found this post helpful.

had that happen by accident last year - bottom rail was knocked out, and they way the fences line up (pipe fencing) it looked like it was still in place. Colt (about a week old) was ducking into the next paddock to play with the yearlings. Colt was precocious and independant from day one, mare is very calm in general and she could still see jr. Worked out ok is this case, wouldn't do it on purpose -a foal trying to scramble through the wrong spot in the fence could go badly to say the least.

This. Granted, your proposal might work, but it might backfire disastrously. It would not be a chance I would take, no matter how much anecdotal evidence I got that it might be okay.

Quote Originally Posted by ahf View Post
    Young foals routinely panic, and will go through fences before they figure out where the opening is. Not to mention what mom might do if the young foal gets too far away. By the time the foal is old enough to cope well with that strategy, the mare will be on full turnout.

Hand grazing (track-style... with one person on each side of the halter for the first few times) is the way to go. Though this not ideal, many foals have had to deal with restricted turnout and have grown up just fine.

The list of things that could go wrong would outweigh the benefits for me. I can see one or both panicking with possibly disastrous results. I hand grazed my mare and let her foal run around for almost 3 months. It was tedious but worked out just fine. My foal was introduced to the others at 3 months and within a couple of weeks he was exactly like all the other foals raised normally (except that he thought that he and my Great Dane were the same species)...

Are those metal panels safe for foals?

Ditto what has been said already, plus, you don't exactly want to teach your foal to go under fences...
    www.EquusMagnificus.ca
    Breeding & Sales - Currently: Eventing & Derby prospects
    Facebook | YouTube |Twitter | LinkedIn

Well that answers that! That's why I asked here...good points. I have seen barns where they have this pole in a large stall that the foal can go under to eat some feed but the mare can't get under. But it is in a stall and not a paddock so I'll just keep it as is.

I put non-climb fencing along the entire panels so it is safe for foals. this way it is essentially the same as my pasture fencing.
    Read about my time at the Hannoveraner Verband Breeders Courses:
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2011.html
    http://blumefarm.com/hannoveranercourse2012.html

Your idea can work - I had a mare have c. torsion surgery with a three month old colt by her side. He was overly rambunctious in a very small area and constantly jumping on mare and kicking out at her. We used straw bales stacked to create a "fence" to make a small area for mare and left a small gap at one end with a 4ft jump pole at the top. The paddock was not huge so mare could see baby at all times and we kept no other horses around so mare wouldn't feel need to protect. It worked great- he would wander out and run around and come right back in to nurse. It stopped him from acting out on the mare and was safer for both involved. This was during day when we could keep an eye on both. They both came in at night.

1 members found this post helpful.

I would say if mare is calm and confident with Baby, I would test it. First teach it being lead. Handwalk it a bit away from mum and see how both do and if this really works, you could try the pole Thing. I have also seen These big sheds with more Mares and foals and a big pole in the middle to allow to feed the foals special food. As said for me it depends on mare and foal whether I would try or not.
    I am not responsible for spelling misstacks - just my PC
    www.hannoveranerzuechter.de
    Filly Londontime - Sandro Hit - Rouletto
    http://youtu.be/1O23BeiKpkY

I would rather make a system similar to the one used for meat cows. Basically when they have to be in, you have an individual box for each, and on one of the walls there is an opening wide enough to allow the calf to pass but not their mother. That opening leads to another box with water and a fluffier bed and some age appropriate food.

You could do the same. Leave an opening at the fence wide enough for the foal to pass but not the mare.