The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Looking for book/DVD recommendations to progress from introducing bit to ground drivi

Does anyone have any book or DVD recommendations for safely teaching a horse to ground drive or long line? From introducing the bit, at least through the basics (including halt and reinback).

I am looking for a complete "system" as it sounds like some people start with the lines on the halter, some right to the bit, some through the bit onto the halter, etc. Some start with a side rein on the outside and the long line hooked from outside in on the inside... Many people have a lot of different reasons for what they do, so I am looking to learn one safe system for progression (least liklihood of causing a rear, or one that is known to fix rearing if you don't know the horses history or they are young).

Thank you!

I've been really enjoying Long Reining to Break Horses to Harness, Training the Safe Way (By Heinrich Freiherr von Senden). I also have the Doris Ganton book Breaking and Training the Driving Horse, though it's not quite as detailed as far as techniques, it's a great book to have in your driving library anyways as it has great info about harness, vehicles, and hitching. I'm also ordering Training for Safety (by Margaret Beeman and Ona Kiser).

As far as rearing, my pony was really badly abused and was quite literally broken when he was started under saddle by his original owner (as a barely gelded almost 9 year old). I've had to undo a LOT of damage, and rearing was a big issue for us. What we had to do was introduce the bit, but work off the side rings on a halter so there was no mouth contact. Only once he was going rock solid off the halter did the lines get moved to the bit, and even then it took 14 different bits to find the right one for him that didn't cause him to rear when there was contact added. Once I found the best bit for him, I focused on double lunging for the first while, because working him on a circle made it more difficult for him to rear and lunge forward, I had more control. When he was finally going well that way, I moved back into driving position, and we haven't had a rear since. But that's just what we did, every horse is different!

1 members found this post helpful.

Thank you for the recommendations and for sharing your experience. I hear what you are saying about the bit! I know some of them don't like pressure on the poll, other's don't like pressure on the tongue... what kind ended up working out for you?

I just ordered "Long Reining to Break Horses to Harness: Training the Safe Way" and "Horse Training In-Hand: A Modern Guide to Working from the Ground: Long Lines, Long and Short Reins, Work on the Longe".

I have other books and DVDs on my shelf but they are not very in depth, or seem to skip steps.

A good overview of the traditional way most Saddlebred and Morgan trainers go about starting a horse http://www.amazon.com/Training-Your-...ride+and+drive

Bumping thread to fix display issues on front page

Ordered it for .54 on Amazon! Thanks!