The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I like my IRH Elite Eq. Good value and centilation with still a semi-traditional look. Best prices (new) are on EBAY

1 members found this post helpful.

I Just bought a One K and WOW I love this helmet It fits perfectly Weighes less than my Tipparary sport. The liner comes out and can be washed. I was brave and bought the shiney black. I really like the way it looks and it flattering its so stream line it dosent make my head look huge!!!
    Its the Journey not the Destination.

I ride in a navy colored suede One K Defender to go with my navy coat. I simply love it.
    "It is not necessary for you to let everyone know everything about you. In fact, it is probably wise that you don't. There are some things that you need only discuss with God."

http://www.smartpakequine.com/irh-4g...x?cm_vc=Search though mine is not velvet finished. It's finished like the Elite Xtreme and is the most comfortable helmet I've ever dealt with. It's my day to day helmet as well and I LOVE IT! Not hot or heavy and deals with my mass of hair nicely.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.

Well, I have a velvet Charles Owen Hampton that I bought thinking I'd wear it for shows, because I like that 70s hunter velvet-helmet look, but I'm so comfortable in the AYR8 that I school in that I now plan to just wear my schooling helmet to show. Maybe I'll break out the hot glue gun and stick some rhinestones on there to add a little pizzazz, because yes I am that tacky.

Another vote for OneK helmet, but I got the Pro with the sunshield. I love since I just started wearing glasses last year (the negative side effects of sitting in front of a computer all day ) and I'm too chicken to get contacts. I used to wear sunglasses all the time, but now I can just put down my sunshield when it is wicked bright out.

When I don't need it, it tucks up in the helmet and you can't really tell that it's there!
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Pegasus helmets are nice, different styles, round and long oval, and not expensive!

I am wearing an Ovation schooler. I bought it because it was convenient and cheap and I was able to try it on, and it turns out I really really like it. http://www.ovationriding.com/helmets...-helmet-467566

People are wearing pretty much every make and model, it seems. For years I showed in a Troxel Sierra without any comment. The first time I wore it, I didn't plan it, but just figured I was expecting a naughty pony and didn't want to buy a new one. No one noticed and the pictures looked good, so now my plan is I buy one helmet for all occasions instead of having one for schooling and one for show.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Quote Originally Posted by Lost_at_C View Post
    But I'm also intrigued by the new Patey Corne, though I suspect it's out of my price range! http://www.pateyhats.com/hats/patey-corne-riding-hat/

Pateys are custom made - so you'd be paying an airline ticket and hotel !

This is pretty traditional looking though; http://www.charlesowen.co.uk/us/products/vtn+rider+2000
    ... _. ._ .._. .._

I love my Charles Owen AYR8. Fits my head really well (the GR8 did not!) and the ventilation is quite good for a show helmet. I have it in midnight/midnight (aka navy/navy).

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    Another vote for OneK helmet, but I got the Pro with the sunshield. I love since I just started wearing glasses last year (the negative side effects of sitting in front of a computer all day ) and I'm too chicken to get contacts. I used to wear sunglasses all the time, but now I can just put down my sunshield when it is wicked bright out.

When I don't need it, it tucks up in the helmet and you can't really tell that it's there!
    Ooh, I was wondering about those! Hate the sun shining in my eyes and often ride in glasses - but not in the show ring. Good to know that it folds up and down; I assumed it was fixed.

Man, the OneKs are getting a lot of votes! What shaped head do they fit?

Quote Originally Posted by Equibrit View Post
    Pateys are custom made - so you'd be paying an airline ticket and hotel !

This is pretty traditional looking though; http://www.charlesowen.co.uk/us/products/vtn+rider+2000
    Yes, I suppose that's true for most COTH folk! (For me it's just a short train journey). Still, since the regular Patey hunt caps cost roughly $750 USD, I doubt the airfare would be too much of a deterrence to potential customers. I imagine the helmet will cost significantly more, so it'll be a CO for me, certainly. I like their combination of quality and good ventilation.
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

Question re: One K sizing - I am a 64 (6 7/8), but saw in an older thread that someone that size had found the small size to fit them best.

Those of you who have a One K, what size are you in other helmets and what size One K do you have?

Edit: That said, I could just buy an extra liner ($21.95) in the other size and have both. So I guess it's NBD.

Quote Originally Posted by kalidascope View Post
    Question re: One K sizing - I am a 64 (6 7/8), but saw in an older thread that someone that size had found the small size to fit them best.

Those of you who have a One K, what size are you in other helmets and what size One K do you have?

Edit: That said, I could just buy an extra liner ($21.95) in the other size and have both. So I guess it's NBD.
    I wear a 52/53 in a GPA, so a 6 5/8ths with my hair squished up inside. (I'm a pinhead)

In the OneK - I'm happiest in an XS with my hair in a net but not tucked up for everyday riding. I have a S liner for showing and having it tucked up + a net. My hair is above shoulder length fwiw.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4739s.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	12.6 KB 
ID:	38243

I'm a total pinhead - need a 6 1/2 helmet, and have found the CO's are really heavy for me.

I school and show in this one:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/irh-ai...cm_sp=CS-_-IRH Air 10 Helmet-_-NA&cm_vc=Rec. It is by far the lightest and most comfortable helmet I've ever worn. I really wish it came in Navy and Brown.

I also have the IRH Elite EQ in Navy, which is a really nice helmet, and has good ventilation, but I find it just a little more bulky than my Air 10.

My DD replaced her GPA with the IRH ATH SSV and likes it more than her old GPA. She has a rounder head than me.

Most important is to find the right shape, some helmets fit round heads better and others are better for more oval heads.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Most helmets give me the "bucket head" look that I really don't like.
    I've been very pleased with my Aegis helmet. It's super affordable at $85, fits my head perfectly, is comfortable, has great ventilation, and it really is the most attractive, low profile fit for me. It has a nice show-worthy finish to it. This one looks way better than the Uvex and other $$$$ helmets. Worth checking out! :-)
    http://www.thewirehorse.com/store/pc...lack-p7783.htm

I like the new ventilated tipps or a CO. I have an IRH and YUCK YUCK YUCK it has terrible padding compared to a CO and not nearly as comfy

Southern California - on a freeway someplace

Quote Originally Posted by Tasker View Post
    I used to have a GPA but it gave me a wicked headache (pressure on the forehead) after 4-5 horses. Last fall it was hitting the expiration date, so I shopped around and ended up with a One K Defender. Love, love, love this helmet!!!

Several of our friends and students have upgraded from their CO, IRH and GPA's as their budget allows. The big selling point - the removable/washable liner. No more stinky hat on hot summer days!
    So does this mean that they will fit a person with an oval head well? I had the same experience with a GPA. Trainer in a HJ barn insisted on GPA only until I pointed out that I would never be able to remember my courses with my brain compromised by being squashed.
    The Evil Chem Prof

Quote Originally Posted by Peggy View Post
    So does this mean that they will fit a person with an oval head well? I had the same experience with a GPA. Trainer in a HJ barn insisted on GPA only until I pointed out that I would never be able to remember my courses with my brain compromised by being squashed.
    The OneK might be the answer. All of our friends that were in GPAs with that same headache are happier(est) in a OneK now. It's worth trying on to see if it fits better.

My Charles Owen is 5 years old and I'm replacing it with the T-4 in black. Love the T-2 I wear everyday and I've worn that to show in as well. The IRH Elite Extreme I have just doesn't fit me as well. I would show in that too though if I liked it more.