The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Pony update

I just talked to my friend with the pony who was attacked, and she wants me to help her with her pony. I'd appreciate any tips and strategies on how to retrain.

I think we need to treat her as an unbroken pony. Her ground manners are pretty much a mess.

Just my opinion
    but I agree that you need to work as though you are just beginning

You need to search for this pony's comfort zone and use that frequently during any sessions - at least until the pony relaxes again into the job

For our Cooper - it was circles

work for a perfect circle - over and over again
    you should actually see the pony almost zone IN to the circle andtune out extraneous stuff

So until you get the pony's mind back - - work on something then go to The Zone - then work on something else and go to The Zone

Again - another thing Cooper enjoyed was ground work in hand where you asked for his attention and expected him to "stay with you"
    you turn left - he turns left to stay with you
    you turn right (walking into him) he has to turn right and keep moving away so you maintain your space
    You stop - he stops

Its going to take time to regain the pony's trust but then you may be able to move along faster

another thing to think about and be really truthful with yourselves about how well trained the pony was before the incident
    green - well broke with years of experience

usually an incident of this magnitude is still not enough to lose all training from a wellbroke and experienced animal
    they lose it because they did not have a base to fall back onto

but that is not a blanket statement and may not be correct in this case

best of luck and listen to what the pony is telling you

I think that the pony was not as well broke as she seemed. Owner bought her at an auction that we had just gone to for fun. Definitely an impulse buy. But owner is experienced driver (mules) and lives on farm, had a place to keep pony so not really as bad as it sounds.

We've been talking about it and wondering if Sugar was aced. She was being driven around by a couple of little Amish girls who answered our questions pretty well about the pony but you never know. There was a lot going on at the sale, lots of activity, horses, driving and noise and she was calm. Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised. I know some Amish in this area, but these were strangers to me.

I just got back into town and I'm going to call her tomorrow and tell her that if she'll provide feed/hay I'll work the pony (groundwork) for a while and we'll see what happens. I'm just going to pretend the pony knows nothing and go from there.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

RMom;
    Glad to hear pony is getting at least a 2nd chance with you.
    You're a good friend to offer up your time.

Again - as a total Driving Newb - what is working for me is pretty much what DriveNJ described.

And DriveJN: it is reassuring to hear my instincts are on course working with my pony. I have ridden for 40+ years, but have no experience training a driving horse.
    My guy positively does Zero In when I work him on the longe or leading.
    I can see the wheels turning and almost smell the smoke from his little Hackney Brain.

I hope it works out and pony is re-driveable for your friend.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

Is there any chance of working in an indoor arena, where the pony can focus on driving (or longing or ground-driving) without distraction? Then move him back outside once he's going well.

I forget if this is a bigger pony or a mini...minis are often subjected to less-than-thorough training. They are so patient and forgiving that some people seem to think they were born knowing how to drive and leave many holes in both training and experience.

If said pony is panicky, I would strongly consider a professional driving trainer to get him over the hump. (I say this not knowing your background or that of your friend, but I'd hate for anyone to get hurt driving a time bomb.)
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

Quote Originally Posted by Remudamom View Post
    I think that the pony was not as well broke as she seemed. Owner bought her at an auction that we had just gone to for fun. Definitely an impulse buy. But owner is experienced driver (mules) and lives on farm, had a place to keep pony so not really as bad as it sounds.

We've been talking about it and wondering if Sugar was aced. She was being driven around by a couple of little Amish girls who answered our questions pretty well about the pony but you never know. There was a lot going on at the sale, lots of activity, horses, driving and noise and she was calm. Anyhow, I wouldn't be surprised. I know some Amish in this area, but these were strangers to me.

I just got back into town and I'm going to call her tomorrow and tell her that if she'll provide feed/hay I'll work the pony (groundwork) for a while and we'll see what happens. I'm just going to pretend the pony knows nothing and go from there.
    I doubt the pony was aced. I would bet that she wasn't as broke as she appeared. IME sometimes we (English) literally speak a different language. When I bought my mare, she'd been broke and driving for at least 2 years and was road safe. In reality, she was functionally illiterate in harness. When I took her to an English trainer, I should have renamed her Sgt. Schulz - She knew Nothing. I've known the guy I bought her from for about 10 years - if a horse has any flaw he'll tell (a trait that drives his wife nuts, it can make life hard if you're a horse trader), for his purposes she was broke & safe.

Well, it came to nothing. Pony has been traded off. 8(

gothedistance is offline AERC Decade Team - 2000-2010 Premium Member

I wouldn't count that as a bad thing. Hopefully the pony will be at a place where it will only be ridden and won't have to drive. That will certainly be a relief on the poor thing when clearly it had been badly frightened by the whole accident scene and didn't want to drive anymore.

And the old owner was obviously saavy enough to suspect some chicanery with the pony at the auction, and cutting his losses was (in my book) a very smart move. He can now look for another pony that already has driving training, and hopefully won't have to endure another accident like the first one. Or, he can stick with his mules.

And you're off the hook.

1 members found this post helpful.

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

Oh well, at least you made the offer which was all you could do.

Hope your friend traded so pony will get another chance, but that is out of your hands.

What's that they say about No Good Deed...?
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009