The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Default Pom with "seasonal cough"? Ideas needed.

Our Wee Pom has tracheal collapse (diagnosed by vet)--we adopted him last June and he coughed terribly for about a month, but it tapered off over the summer and has not been an issue since August of last year. He was treated for flea allergies (huge hot spots), he's on a grain-free diet, and had 4 rotten teeth pulled.

Since early last week, he's begun coughing again, and sounds congested when he breathes. Nothing to be alarmed about, he's still the bouncy, whacky little fellow he always is, but clearly something is going on. I've begun to wonder if this isn't related to a spring allergy or something like that. Everything is blooming and growing like crazy and I'm sniffling/sneezing too!

So...without investing in a trip to the doggy allergist (yet!), would a trip to the vet regarding a possible allergy-related cough be worth it? What is the treatment plan for this? Definitely worse in the AM, but will cough at random times, too.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

I would make a trip to the vet just to make sure his lungs are OK; you mentioned a congested sound when he breathes. The vet can also give you a dose for an antihistamine if it appears to be an environmental / seasonal allergy (I have a Lab that takes Zyrtec) and/or steroids if indicated.

The irritation from inhalant allergies(like pollens etc) can cause irritation of the mucous membranes, increase mucous production. Both of which can cause sudden worsening of symptoms from collapsing trachea or brachycephalic syndrome. I would feel it is very likely due to this, however tarynls is right, a trip to your regular vet to rule out more serious causes and to pick up some allergy meds would be money well spent. Typically coughing from heart related causes is worse in the am too, so symptoms can be misleading.
    You can't fix stupid.... but you can breed it!

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Thank you for your answers! He's a bit better today--less exertion, too, as I wouldn't let him play fetch last night (mad Wee Pom, mad!). We are in high allergen season here--everything is blooming, flowering or seeding out! My horse vet is also a practicing small animal vet (by necessity) so I'll ask her what she thinks. She is giving all the dogs their rabies vaccines on Tuesday--timely visit!
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!