The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is the best tendon/ligament supplement?

I'm wondering what supplements people have used after bowed tendons and/or tendon ligament strain?

My horse just has tendon and ligament weaknesses all around and I want to help him!

Thanks,

Proper nutrition is important, but supplements are not drugs. They cannot and do not make things heal by their own actions. Even pharmaceuticals have tremendous limits. Adding this and that because it sounds like it might help is probably harmless, but largely a huge waste of money. Unless you like supporting the economy, which is a noble gesture, save your dollars for things that actually make an impact. A lot of which (proper hoof care, great footing, fitness, etc.) don't even cost extra.
    Click here before you buy.

3 members found this post helpful.

Thank you, you are always so helpful...and mindful of my pocket book! So thanks! I'm feeling a little helpless. My horse is lame/short in behind due to a right hind annular ligament issue. My vet thinks surgery is the best option, but he's older (20) and I HATE to put him through it just so he's comfortable out in the pasture.

He goes crazy inside and has had ulcers in the past so I've been turning him out and he has weak tendons/ligaments in front from not being worked and he naturally has long pasterns. He's a Thb./Trakehner and will occasionally run about. He's just happiest that way. But since he hasn't been worked he'll run and then come in with swollen/strained tendons.

This hind end issue has just created a domino effect on his digestive system and his front end and I am admittedly grasping at straws to stop the downward spiral!

Suggestions?

I feel like we need a separate board..."My horse is stressing me out!"
    It would have a lot of traffic
    As Peter, Paul, and Mary say, a dragon lives forever.

6 members found this post helpful.

BAAHHHAAA, you nailed it!

1 members found this post helpful.

Can you get him in a smallish paddock that will limit his shenanigans? Maybe a very lazy pasture buddy?

If only we could give horses even the tiniest conception of "this is bad for you, don't do that"!

I have no idea if either of these are efficacious, but SmartPak has something targeted for tendons/ligaments and Foxden Equine has one called Ligand3. Supposedly, ligaments being body parts requiring collagen synthesis and repair, one would think that adequate protein and minerals would help keep those in good working order.
    ETA mineral deficiencies or imbalances can cause bodily processes to be less than optimal, including turnover/repair of connective tissues.
    Last edited by sdlbredfan; May. 19, 2013 at 09:11 AM.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    Can you get him in a smallish paddock that will limit his shenanigans?
    This was going to be my suggestion as well. I used to board at a stable that had a few tiny paddocks that served as basically outdoor stalls, and horses seemed to be way happier there than actually in stalls in the barn the vast majority of the time.

And a couple of years ago when my older mare was recovering from a tendon injury she was totally enthralled by the neighbor's cows, so she got to hang out in a little paddock because she would just stand there and watch them all day long. It was bizarre, but it worked for her.

So depending on your horse's preferences (or freaky bovine obsessions), it may be posible to find a scenario where his turnout can be peaceful and limited at the same time.
    "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
    -Edward Hoagland

Supposedly, ligaments being body parts requiring collagen synthesis and repair, one would think that adequate protein and minerals would help keep those in good working order.
    One SHOULD think that adequate nutrition, time, good genes and an absence of setbacks would be sufficient. But there's a billion-dollar supplement industry out there constantly SHRIEKING that we need to do "more".

I've got a horse who had a Suspensory injury a few years back. It was a pasture accident that occured while he was on Smartpak's Ligament/Tendon supplement (as well as a multitude of other things), he was on it for preventative purposes. Though I do feel some supplements help, I feel conditioning, proper hoof care, proper recovery, nutrition and keeping a close eye on your horses overall are key. Now I'm not saying Smart Tendon or others of similar quality won't work, but I'm starting to go to the theory of less is more. We've reduced many of the supplements and so far so good. If it's something you want to add, it's not pricey to give it a try.....
    "If you've got a horse, you've got a problem"

I'm with Deltawave on this. Over the years I have rehabbed me, and horses. Never used a supplement! Just 'cause they say it does something doesn't mean it really does that something.

Some things are clinically proven, and others are wishful dreams. Your vet will provide the first, and your supplement supplier $$$$$$$ the second.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I have my mare on Smartpak's SmartTLC (tendon, ligament, connective tissue) - it's specifically filed in their "anti-inflammatory" supplements. Back in December she bowed her left hind DDFT and SDFT pretty significantly. While I have her on proper nutrition, and followed the vet's orders, I really thought that she should have a little "something" in her diet to help. I saw tremendous improvement on the TLC, and have decided to keep her on it. However, YMMV.
    “Riding a horse is not a gentle hobby, to be picked up and laid down like a game of Solitaire. It is a grand passion.” ~Emerson

i have a 22 year old mare who for 4 years has been dealing with bilateral hind suspensory issues (not DSLD but injury related).
    Dr. Xie's tendon and ligament health supplement has done wonders for her. it's prescription only from the Xie institute. if i understood correctly, i think it addresses liver health thereby improving the tendon/ligament health.

i know my lameness vet (surgeon with a clinic) recommends it to a lot of her clients. they recommend that you use it for a period of time and then stop. i did that initially. the improvement was dramatic. since then, however, my vet recommended that i just leave her on it.

if you search it here, i think there may have been a couple of threads on it.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique