The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Unhappy saving a kitty

Early this afternoon, my friend and I witnessed a cat being hit by a car. We pulled over (it happened right behind us), and immediately went in search to see if we could help. Another woman and her boyfriend also came to look. The cat was found, but it was too late. It was so, so sad.

I've successfully rescued a cat before, but thinking of that (and hugging my big purrball) isn't helping. If anyone has wonderful stories about saving/rescuing a kitty, please post them.

Rest in peace, little black longhair...

What a horrible thing to witness, and bless you for stopping. I witnessed the aftermath of a quail vs a car. I picked up the poor guy (he was still alive), but he died a few minutes later. Broke my heart.

1 members found this post helpful.

So sorry you had to witness that, but thank you for stopping. So many people just don't bother!

I've taken in so many foster cats and kittens over the years that friends are amazed we only have four of our own. Have one cute little 3 week old tabby that was not doing well in the beginning. He's now happily curled up in my lap purring away.

2 members found this post helpful.

See my story on the "Before and After" thread. Although, we just took him in. He rescued himself from horrible circumstances by climbing into a city truck.

I will tell you about two brother kitties that belonged to a neighbor of mine when I lived in Virginia. Not a rescue story, but a sadly sweet story.

I had a small farm and these two black and white kitties lived next door but roamed my farm as well. They were awesome with the neighbor's kids. Those kids could carry them around anywhere. They would just relax their bodies and allow clumsy little arms to support them as best they could. Anyway, the neighbors were nice folks but they were in a tough spot financially and couldn't continue to rent-to-own the house next door, so they moved back into town and left the kitties behind. These were first class mousers that were already working on my farm, so I just made sure they had food and water and gave them access to my outbuildings to get in out of the rain and snow. My house was tiny and my indoor kitty would not allow another cat inside, let alone two. I named them Charlie and Hobo (I never knew their real names). One very sad night, Hobo was hit by a car. My neighbor saw it and told me right away. I ran outside and we looked for him. Finally, we found that he had crawled deep into a drainage pipe. We couldn't reach him but I could see he had labored breathing. I called AC and asked if they had a come along to possibly move him out of the drainpipe so I could take him to the vet. I had my doubts that it would work. I worried just moving him would cause his death, but what else could I do? Meanwhile, we stayed near him and talked to him. The touching part was how his brother, Charlie, went in and out of the pipe to visit him over and over again. He would touch noses, ever so gently, and then come back out. He did this several times and stopped to look back as if waiting for his brother to follow him out to where we were. Then, Charlie went in and laid next to his brother. We could see that Hobo's breathing was worse by then. Charlie gently groomed his brother while snuggled next to him. His brother's eyes closed and his head came down. Charlie stayed in there until AC arrived, then, with a final nose kiss, left. Hobo had passed. I remember how sad it was, but I also remember how Charlie seemed to know his brother was dying and was there for him. AC pulled Hobo's body out for me to bury. I tried to make Charlie into an inside cat, but my resident cat would have none of it so I just let him be the barn cat he was and fretted over him when he crossed the road. When I got married and sold the farm, I gave Charlie to the very kind older lady next door. She had bonded with him and he had been spending more and more time with her. They were a good match. She had never had a cat before but she loved Charlie.
    Where the short cows roam.

War veteran

2 members found this post helpful.

Well, since you want happy stories, my BO down here made her husband stop the truck by the side of US-12 and they spent ten minutes cornering a fuzzy kitten (whom I referred to as fuzzbutt and who was officially dubbed "RK" for Road Kill) because she couldn't have stood it if they came back going the other way and she saw it run over. She joined hte barn cat population as the small, fuzzy, bossy one.

Years ago one summer evening my 12 year old brother had climbed a tree in our front yard to catch a cool breeze. While sitting up there, shrouded by leaves, he saw a car drive down the street. He watched as the car slowed in front of our house, never stopping, while one of the two figures inside threw out a 3-4 month old kitten who somersaulted end-over-end onto the pavement. My brother said he heard laughter as the car zoomed away. He immediately climbed down the tree and fortunately was able to go right up to the dazed kitten who stood on three legs still in the spot in the street where it landed. I'll always remember my surprise at seeing him gingerly walking in the house carrying the scraped and bloody kitten. My mother took the kitten to the vet the next morning, and despite its broken pelvis and many road-rash scrapes, the kitten thrived and lived happily with us for the next 14 years.

While not as dramatic a story, currently two of the four cats I own I consider rescues of sorts (and believe me I did not want FOUR cats - two would have been just fine, ha). Cat #3 was handed to me to me last fall to foster at three and half weeks of age. She was born to a homeless cat in a very dangerous, high traffic area of a loading dock of a strip-mall next to a freeway. No adoptive home was ever found for her and eight months later she is still living w/ me, sigh... . Cat #4 is a 8-9 month old cat I recently took home from the boarding stable One Sunday afternoon I drove up to the barn and another boarder was in the parking lot waiting for me. She greeted me with, "I'm glad your here. This cat ran in my tack room and I'm afraid to get it out." I was told he scratched the husband of the couple who'd taken him home from the feed store so they brought him back and deemed him unadoptable. I went into the fellow boarder's tack room, found the cat cowering behind a small chest of drawers. With trepidation and taking the caution to put on riding gloves (the only gloves I had handy), I fearfully reached down to pick him up. He didn't hiss, run, bite, or scratch; just tensely cowered in my arms. I thought poor guy, the boarding stable is "Coyote Central" and I knew he wouldn't last there any time at all. So call me a sucker, I ended up bringing him home. He is a very skittish cat; I suspect he has vision problems, and if he were a horse I'd certainly call him head-shy. But he is improving, and loves petting and will do the full-bore purring & kneading deal when he feels he's in a safe situation. And so far he's never offered once to scratch.

OP - kudos to you for being kind and brave enough to try and help. It does indeed take a certain kind of bravery to face that type of situation.

I'll bite. Someone (not me) found an kitten roaming near a freeway exit ramp. It had run away when very small and was wearing a macrame collar, which had sunk deep into its neck as it grew. They brought it in to the vet, who removed the collar surgically, and thought that the prognosis was very uncertain. Kitten might not live. Yours truly came in to for annual vaccinations, and the vet pulled me aside: "look what someone brought in" (handing me two pounds of emaciated tabby, no hair on tail, one eye wouldn't open), "wouldn't it be nice if Someone gave him a good home?" That was sixteen years ago. He finally gave out last Monday and is buried in our yard. R.I.P. to the finest cat I've ever known.

3 members found this post helpful.

We have 5 cats here that all came from the Vet clinic. They had all been brought in for euth for various reasons, but none of them had anything seriously wrong with them. No one at the clinic wanted to euth healthy cats/kittens and I am a sucker so they all ended up with me!

I'm so sorry . I don't have a happy story for you, but would like to let you know how much it matters that you stopped. My big, beautiful Coon cat disappeared last year, he didn't come home for dinner. I called Animal Control to ask her to keep an eye out for him. She got back to me the next morning and told me that someone had found a big Coon cat, hit by a car the night before and gave me his number.

I called the man and he told me what happened. He came across my cat while driving down the road and stopped to help. The body was still warm, but very clearly dead. He picked the cat up off the road and moved him to the edge of some woods and covered him with a tarp he found and called the AC and left his number.

I really, really, really appreciated what he did. I'd gone out looking for my cat, right on that road, but he'd already moved the body, so I didn't have to come across it myself. He called AC, so I wasn't looking for that cat for weeks or months, worrying and wondering what happened. And, he was willing to talk on the phone with me, a stranger, and reassure me that the cat hadn't suffered. And, my DH was able to go get the body, confirm it was our cat and bury him in our yard.

Sad as I was to lose my cat, it helped that someone had stopped to see if he could help.

3 members found this post helpful.

Sorry you had to witness the kitty tragedy. Glad kitty didn't suffer long.

Our time share kitty was rescued by her owner as she had been left with some siblings in a box at the end of her former barn's driveway. The BO thought briefly about just driving over the box after a long day, but thankfully did not. It contained 4 kittens...only three alive. Time share kitty did not get along with the resident cats, so she took her home despite being allergic. Kitty then discovered that the neighbours (me) have a large heated indoor litter box and a steady stream of laps.

This is probably the cutest, most friendly kitty ever. Amazing that she could overcome what she did and still be so awesome and trusting.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

I don't have any kitty-saved-on-road stories, but all mine are rescues from something, and I do save loads of turtles from the road -- in fact, I just had to have one PTS last week that was too badly injured to save.

Several years ago I went to the barn to feed and saw this tiny gray flash coming down the aisle at me. It skidded to a stop and pressed against the back of my legs, and I looked down to see huge blue eyes in a tiny gray face staring up at me. I glanced back to the end of the aisle . . . and saw a skunk running straight for us. Scooped up the kitten and ran for the house. The vet wanted to put him to sleep immediately ("It might have rabies!") but I couldn't do it. That was Rascal, and he's asleep on my bed as I type this.

Thank you all so much for your stories!

Canaqua, this kitty was also gone but still warm. The couple who also stopped were going to take it to the SPCA just in case. I hope they were able to have it scanned for a chip to see if they could find an owner.

I've always known that if I saw a kitty in need by the road, I'd never be able to forgive myself if I didn't stop to help. It's bittersweet, though; I'm glad I (and my friend) did, but I'm heartbroken we weren't able to save its life.

I do have a hit by a car and survived story. I was driving to work and a cat flashed out right in front of my car. There was no way I could have stopped in time and I did hit the poor thing. Thankfully it was early in the morning and I stopped immediately and scooped the poor kitty up. Cat was a gorgeous Persian with a beautiful collar on. That drive to the vet was horrid though! Not because of the cat but because I was allergic to it. From the moment His Highness landed in my car I was having issues breathing and when I had picked up the cat I was breaking out in hives. Got the cat to the vet and left my information with an under no circumstances is this cat coming home with me. Vet was nice enough to dose me with some benedryl and sent me on my way. I fretted over that cat all day at work. Vet finally calls me and says cat is going to live. Cat was microchipped though the owners were on vacation. His Highness (cat's name) still sends me a Christmas card every year.
    Adoring fan of A Fine Romance
    Originally Posted by alicen:
    What serious breeder would think that a horse at that performance level is push button? Even so, that's still a lot of buttons to push.