The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Quote Originally Posted by Gestalt View Post
    The description of the type and placement of whorls is very important. Color can change or be chemically altered, but a whorl is a whorl is a whorl.

Is it really possible to be "racist" when discussing horse coat color? Aye-yi-yi
    What do you want me to call a color bias in horses', coatist? How about I just call it backwardest? Will that work and not offend your sense of propriety? Either way, ignoring the fundamental coat color characteristic, whether they are "raceyall" proclivities or not, is just stupid. Genetic characteristics, identifying the total animal, whorls, chestnuts, markings, and COLOR, are all part of the same package. It is different, it is interesting, and it should be taken into account. It is the genetic map of the breed. Look at Ben Green's work, he looked at coat colors totally differently than the accepted way, he had the view that the coat had frequencies of color, like scientists denote the frequency of the color spectrum on wave patterns. I also find that interesting and a lot closer to deciding how the coat will turn out than to look at the hair coat of an animal which is known to change colors as it ages.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

Quote Originally Posted by silverhorse101 View Post
    So I've been a lurker here for a few years and this is my first post so I hope I don't come off mean So here goes...Oxbow cannot be a true roan because 1) roan is a dominant gene which means that one of his parents has to be roan for him to be same with grey 2) true roan does not exist in the thoroughbred gene pool it's not about the JC not wanting to use the color it simply isn't there unless Oxbow is a new mutation or he is descended from Catch a Bird or his offspring. 3) roans have dark heads with no white flecking Oxbow has white flecks on his head 4) he has a white spot on his chin which indicates the presence of sabino at work. Don't mean to rant but I love equine color genetics and I've studied about them in school. Again hope I don't sound too mean
    How did you determine that a true roan has to have a one parent to be a roan? The JC has no standards for the color thus there is no accepted scientifically based standard. What about a recessive factor for the gene? If they are not allowing roan to be used as a coloring, and they are not, it is grey/roan only.
    "When written in Chinese, the word "crisis" is composed of two characters, one represents danger, the other represents opportunity."

John F Kennedy

I think you do have to have one roan parent to produce a true roan offspring.

We need ACC, RMT or JB here! I'll call em lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Madeline View Post
    Sure. But rather than saying that the JC has no idea about color genetics, you must realize that they don't care. TB's are a breed identified solely by bloodlines. performance is important, color is not.

That said, if anyone finds a bright bay with a belly spot, let me know...
    Easy:
    http://www.horseclicks.com/working-w.../horses/399332

Quote Originally Posted by Calamber View Post
    How did you determine that a true roan has to have a one parent to be a roan? The JC has no standards for the color thus there is no accepted scientifically based standard. What about a recessive factor for the gene? If they are not allowing roan to be used as a coloring, and they are not, it is grey/roan only.
    Genetically a true roan HAS to have a true parent.

Actually, that's incorrect. TJC DOES register horses as just roan.
    https://www.registry.jockeyclub.com/...markingsAnchor

Usually it's just chestnut horses that will gray as the old rules was "red and white hairs means a roan, black and white hairs means a gray".

Quote Originally Posted by Miss J View Post
    I think you do have to have one roan parent to produce a true roan offspring.

We need ACC, RMT or JB here! I'll call em lol.
    Present!

Did anyone actually read the HGS thread? I'm not meaning that to be snarky, just asking so I know what to cover and what not to.

His dam is definitely not gray. He is definitely not rabicano. He is definitely not gray himself (and his tail is BLACK). He was heavily roaned even as a yearling. His sire has a fair bit of roaning as well. He could be a new mutation of roan but it is very unlikely (especially given the amount of roaning his sire has and yet he doesn't have other offspring like Oxbow).

What else can I answer? I have studied this extensively.

ACC

2 members found this post helpful.

I headed over here, but ACC has beat me to it. She said exactly what I was going to say.
    Check out my Equine Genetics Blog! Updated April 25th with Splashed White!!!
    http://equinegenetics.blogspot.com/

1 members found this post helpful.

Since he can't be SB1 I suspect he's like a DW 321 where the ticking is the prominent marking! Being sarcastic but it seems that the researchers have researched our catch all term sabino (which was pretty good as far as a descriptive term) into oblivion! I'm thinking his sire's ticking got a boost from his dam's SB or DW whatever to create Oxbow. Have seen really ticked (even really ticked off!) TBs like him before but it is certainly unusual to see one that roany without more white markings. But cool! AND cooler yet, he'll have a chance to pass it on to hopefully classy offspring. Between him and Lucky Chappy (who is an extensive rabicano) we may have a lot more upper level colorful horses! Now if our DWs (up to like 20 now aren't they?) could just learn to run faster!!

This type of oh heck, sabino like roaning/ticking is not uncommon in stock horses. Lots of QHs show up like this and some are wrongly registered as true roan.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

It is nice to see other color enthusiasts weigh in here It will be interesting to see if he can pass on his color to his offspring and hopefully we can get more colorful thoroughbreds racing at the top level.

1 members found this post helpful.