The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

I actually agree with JFCeventer And I was the one who said "technical" not sure if anyone else said that and not sure if Glenbriar was meaning my mention of that word, but kind of feel compelled to respond. I was not at Chatt, I heard from my boy's rider it was technical - and I'm not an eventer so I may have it wrong, or he may have said that to just make it easier for me to understand . FWIW, I have ZERO complaints about the course, and neither did my rider. It was my horses first 1* and HE didn't have any issues with it either LOL.

I agree also that we need more events here in the states that show the horses and riders crowds, tents, activity etc. I actually was more concerned about Tate running through that type of stuff than I was about the jumps , but apparently that was ok with him too.

The ONLY "complaint" that I heard from our group regarding the event was with regards to the food, location of vendors etc. And our group figured out that you could actually go into the VIP tent and get food, but they did say that it wasn't really obvious and that unless you "knew" someone it felt slightly wrong going in at first.... So that just needs to be better advertised. As for paying to get in as a spectator - meh, so be it. I think that is fine, esp if it in any way helps defray costs or ads to the event in some way - which maybe it will someday!

I think overall it was a good event and it is a beautiful venue (that is ALWAYS expensive to stable at btw). The kinks just need to be worked out. I also heard that the volunteers and all of the staff were fantastic.
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JER View Post
    Glenbaer has told me -- privately, however -- that there was, in fact, coffee available.

Now I feel better.
    Thank god! LOL. One event I went to, the food truck guy stopped making coffee at noon. I totally mentioned that on the evaluation.

3 members found this post helpful.

I was thinking of this thread as I was feeding my gang and cleaning water troughs - darn good thinking time that.

So if a rider enters OP/OI/OA at an event that is also running CIC*/**/***, they should be prepared to run the CIC course as is? Really? So you get to maybe pay a (precious) little less in entry fees and you don't get to show off your jog ensemble, but you'll be skipping around an international caliber XC track. That really does make the CICs just another HT in my book.

As for the riders not being prepared or being whiney, the scoreboard speaks for itself. You can't have that kind of alphabet soup (with some very experienced red coat riders in the mix) across the divisions without there being some issues.

I'm all for what Chatt Hills is trying to accomplish in terms of atmosphere and I happen to be a marketing person who does ride so the growing pains interest me very much. Everybody with the organization can work really hard and have the very best intentions and you can still lay an egg is some respects. If you keep laying eggs you've got a systemic problem. We'll see how it goes with Hugh and his crew with upcoming events; I wish them the best and if they are interested in some marketing/customer service input, call me maybe!
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

11 members found this post helpful.

I agree on the vendors and food. The VIP tent would let you eat for $15 which is what we ended up doing. The food truck was $9 for a gourmet burger but the line was huge. No snacks no coffee it was a huge fail considering they have hosted three AECs with decent food options. The vendors need to go back by the barns where they were before. I went to watch friends and got there Sat at around 9:30 they did'nt charge me.
    Gallop on

Quote Originally Posted by Willesdon View Post
    I'm a bit puzzled here - as a UK person - don't you have 'black flag alternatives' in the US? They provide a slower but easier option at difficult fences. It makes the course cheaper to build and prevents rider and horse being over faced. Just a question to increase my knowledge.
    This is what I'm looking for. There aren't always 'soft' courses available to practice moving up at. We have very good venues here in GA, and those of us that frequent them know what to expect. I have competed at Chatt Hills numerous times, and I was not expecting the course they had laid out, obviously nor did many of my peers. I did not sign up for a CIC**, yet my Intermediate course was exactly the same. You can't hold riders to a level that they're not expecting to be competing at. Did I still get around safely? Yes. But would I have liked to have had the option of where to challenge my horse or play it safe? Absolutely.
    Fade to Grey Farm
    Eventing, Foxhunting & Connemaras
    *NEW* website:www.fadetogreyfarm.com

10 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Robby Johnson View Post
    2 bags of shavings will never be enough. Take your own bags of shavings. Add 2 to whatever you deem acceptable. They are shavings, not heirlooms. Do right by your equine partner, and consider their value in the grand scheme of things.
    This needs to be printed in huge letters and hung by every show stall in the country.

It drives me crazy to see people pull in with expensive rigs, unload their expensive horse, enter a show that they paid hundreds of dollars for and then scrimp on shavings.

C'mon people -- bed your horse reasonably and don't be a cheapskate. They are away from home and working hard for you. The show gives you 1-2 bags -- that is not meant to adequately bed your stall. Pry open your wallet and buy a few extra bags or bring them from home. There are people like me that notice when you consistently under bed your stalls but are at shows all the time.

I bed with at least five bags for a 10 x 10 show stall for a weekend and usually have an additional bag to freshen up if we are there for more than two nights. If you can't afford to bed your horse properly, you can't afford to show. How you care for your horse at a show is a direct reflection on your horsemanship.

Rant over.

4 members found this post helpful.

Brief time for quick personal replies. Thank you to everyone who has had supportive, encouraging replies and messages. Everything will continue to be refined. Chatt is a phenomenal place to be, so let's keep this going.

ACottongim-- not directed at your post; somewhere in this myriad of posts was a different reply upbraiding the technicality. I believe the definition of "technical" has developed a poor flavor. Technical = good; that's what riding is about (otherwise, it's a free-for-all pony circus). Overly technical, unfair, and requiring backwards, rough riding = bad.

Regardless of that discussion, Tate looked incredible this weekend, and congratulations! I was mighty impressed with his demeanor, behavior, and athleticism. It very much caught my attention in the vet box after XC how he stood *like a rock* with many mares and chaos surrounding him. Andrew took care of him and untacked, while Tate was practically a statue, simply looking around. Gorgeous stallion with a clearly remarkable personality! He deserved this win.

GAeventer and others, I very much understand and appreciate your desire for options be offered. I believe that this will be the case moving forward, particularly for the July events. I can guarantee that there will be options at Training (because, well, I'm like that ), and I will try to discuss with Hugh what his plans may include.

I remember having a discussion years ago with a top CD regarding exactly this. He told me he was receiving numerous inquiries if a certain course would be a "soft" Advanced. This may be where the demeanor and attitude of modern eventing needs to change: Advanced is Advanced; Intermediate is Intermediate; Prelim is Prelim; and so forth. Yes, courses may differ mightily, but the same skill sets are tested. Be prepared. Practice the skill sets required. Teaching a horse/rider isn't about practicing every permutation of corner-ditch-drop-tiger trap possible, endlessly schooing XC in case you may come across such question on course. Preparation is about getting the skill sets needed to handle anything.

If one is *truly* an Advanced (or whichever level) rider, one has the skill sets needed at that level. Option fences may be available in case one is having an "off" day, etc, but if one is solid in the skill sets needed for a level, then pretty much any course should ride well.

Course designers typically design to test a rider's skill sets at each given level, while very much taking into consideration the environment, the area riders, the time of year, etc. All I can say is be prepared, do your homework, and be ready to kick butt on whatever course is presented. No excuses.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Auburn View Post
    Chatt Hills is nothing, if not elitist. JMHO

Having qualified for the AEC's three years and attended two of those, I thought the venue lovely, but highly overpriced. When I saw that they were charging almost as much to enter/stable at one of the recognized events, I knew that I would never go back there.

It is troubling to hear that there was only one food vendor and that they were "catering" to the folks who could afford the VIP tent. With events like this, the everyday man/woman eventer will become obsolete.

I understand that they want to have the same kinds of crowds as Rolex. However, that property is not conducive to handling large crowds. It is sad that they are charging the public to watch, too.

Thanks for the update on Bill Hoos. I am happy that he was not hurt more seriously.

Do other venues, other than Rolex, charge for folks to come watch? (Flame suit on just in case. )
    Last time I went to Richland a year ago They charge for parking, but all that goes to a charity I believe. Richland has become a big deal here in Michigan and I am happy to say it is very eventer spectator friendly. We are blessed to have such a big event in these parts.
    "you can only ride the drama llama so hard before it decides to spit in your face." ?Caffeinated.

I didn't read all of the posts by I can certainly say that when I was in the food tent/ vip tent on Sunday .. I was eating beside two beginner novice ladies. So I think your info about who was allowed in the tent is incorrect. Also, on sunday they served for lunch burgers that were very large, very good, for $6 and that came with some fruit and salad bar, and either lemonade or sweet tea. Yes, on Saturday the lunch was $15, however, it was some of the BEST crabcakes I have ever had and chicken with bacon and cheese on top, fresh rolls, frest fruit, etc, all you can eat. So actually, for $15 I didn't think it was a bad deal at all.. and they let kids eat for free. The only thing I would have said was that it would of been nice to have some cheap/easy munchie/burger stand up by the barn as well.. but i thought the tent was a lovely idea and I saw nowhere where it said anyone and everyone couldn't go in.
    As to the courses, I think people have to start realizing that with the increased presence of CIC's (due to the FEI requirements), that when you go to those events you will have to expect the regular prelim or int to be tougher than a 'normal' class b/c the shows cannot afford to run two seperate tracks.. they just cannot afford it! So often you will see (like you did at red hills) perhaps two or three differences max.. sometimes less. I do think they should of made more use of black flag options for the prelim esp (esp in the arena jumps) however.. people should of used their rider reps.. if you don't pipe up.. don't complain after.. that is always my motto lol. But anyways, you are going to see that more and more often now with cic's that the reg ht will be similar so start to expect that.. and don't go to those if you want an 'easier' run.. or .. when you do go.. demand some black flag options if you like.. make use of your rider reps.
    For what it is worth, there were no bad accidents at the event.. just a lot of technical trouble.. and maybe sometimes that is not a bad thing.. i don't so much mind finding out i haven't done my homework enough.. or what my horse needs to work on.. at least those people went home learning what to work on.. and it was SAFE.. not trappy, dangerous, etc..
    It's a great venue and the people there are trying very hard to make it something fabulous.. we need to try to support it that is for sure.. and I for one.. after coming back from Jersey Fresh where the 'competitors' party was $40 a person, even for THREE year olds, I didn't mind spending the $15 and having kids eat free and having all you can eat crabcakes lol.

9 members found this post helpful.

I don't really have any input on the real topic here, but I noticed the comments that shows give you 1-2 bags of shavings with your stalls. Really?? Not in H/J land. How much do you typically pay for a stall and is that normal for the shavings to come with it?

OMG, someone puts 5 bags of shavings in their stall? I guess I am a horse abuser with my two -- I've never had any come with the stall though, I always bring my own. I found three to be excessive. I bring three, but generally only use two for two nights. Maybe I just have clean horse?

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    OMG, someone puts 5 bags of shavings in their stall?
    Yep and they are banked on the three sides on the first day and pulled down as needed after cleaning, so that my horse always has a surface of fresh shavings. I may not be an upper level rider, but my stalls are advanced level!

I do think it is part of the reason my horses regularly lie down at shows and relax.

4 members found this post helpful.

But was the food as good as Lori's?

Quote Originally Posted by LesleyGrant View Post
    I didn't read all of the posts by I can certainly say that when I was in the food tent/ vip tent on Sunday .. I was eating beside two beginner novice ladies. So I think your info about who was allowed in the tent is incorrect. Also, on sunday they served for lunch burgers that were very large, very good, for $6 and that came with some fruit and salad bar, and either lemonade or sweet tea. Yes, on Saturday the lunch was $15, however, it was some of the BEST crabcakes I have ever had and chicken with bacon and cheese on top, fresh rolls, frest fruit, etc, all you can eat. So actually, for $15 I didn't think it was a bad deal at all.. and they let kids eat for free. The only thing I would have said was that it would of been nice to have some cheap/easy munchie/burger stand up by the barn as well.. but i thought the tent was a lovely idea and I saw nowhere where it said anyone and everyone couldn't go in.
    As to the courses, I think people have to start realizing that with the increased presence of CIC's (due to the FEI requirements), that when you go to those events you will have to expect the regular prelim or int to be tougher than a 'normal' class b/c the shows cannot afford to run two seperate tracks.. they just cannot afford it! So often you will see (like you did at red hills) perhaps two or three differences max.. sometimes less. I do think they should of made more use of black flag options for the prelim esp (esp in the arena jumps) however.. people should of used their rider reps.. if you don't pipe up.. don't complain after.. that is always my motto lol. But anyways, you are going to see that more and more often now with cic's that the reg ht will be similar so start to expect that.. and don't go to those if you want an 'easier' run.. or .. when you do go.. demand some black flag options if you like.. make use of your rider reps.
    For what it is worth, there were no bad accidents at the event.. just a lot of technical trouble.. and maybe sometimes that is not a bad thing.. i don't so much mind finding out i haven't done my homework enough.. or what my horse needs to work on.. at least those people went home learning what to work on.. and it was SAFE.. not trappy, dangerous, etc..
    It's a great venue and the people there are trying very hard to make it something fabulous.. we need to try to support it that is for sure.. and I for one.. after coming back from Jersey Fresh where the 'competitors' party was $40 a person, even for THREE year olds, I didn't mind spending the $15 and having kids eat free and having all you can eat crabcakes lol.

Quote Originally Posted by SevenDogs View Post
    This needs to be printed in huge letters and hung by every show stall in the country.

It drives me crazy to see people pull in with expensive rigs, unload their expensive horse, enter a show that they paid hundreds of dollars for and then scrimp on shavings.

C'mon people -- bed your horse reasonably and don't be a cheapskate. They are away from home and working hard for you. The show gives you 1-2 bags -- that is not meant to adequately bed your stall. Pry open your wallet and buy a few extra bags or bring them from home. There are people like me that notice when you consistently under bed your stalls but are at shows all the time.

I bed with at least five bags for a 10 x 10 show stall for a weekend and usually have an additional bag to freshen up if we are there for more than two nights. If you can't afford to bed your horse properly, you can't afford to show. How you care for your horse at a show is a direct reflection on your horsemanship.

Rant over.
    This made me giggle and I'm not 100% sure why...But even at little, dinky, local, non-rated schooling h/j shows I used to go to... and stable just for the *day* we used to bring extra bags of shavings. Who doesn't plan on needing extra shavings?

At the KHP, you have to have at least 5 bags of shavings, because the stalls are on asphalt.

Lately, I have been bringing 3 bags and a bale of straw. The straw keeps it comfy and the shavings soak up the urine.

If we are required to strip a stall, then I only use shavings.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!