The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Bad saddle wounds-ideas?

Tried someone else's saddle Wednesday morning. I rode better than I ever have because we really worked on my position. My seat and body position fixed my hands, too. it was amazing.

The saddle didn't make me ram my pubic bone into the pommel, so I really felt plugged in. I did sitting trot for most of the lesson, and didn't move out of the seat at all for canter. It was like being one with him.

Saddle was too small. I have given myself 3" open wounds on each side of my body where my leg meets my rear. I've been using special salve...they are really bad. Stage 3. I'm in quite a bit of pain.
    Of course, if you remember the long saddle saga...fitter is coming tomorrow morning. Then not again til July.

I bought some Spanx that come down my thighs to wear instead of undies. I have Duoderm patches to put on the wounds. I just bought the thickest maxi pads I could find to tape on them if necessary. I have a bony butt.

Any other suggestions? Not riding isn't an option; I have to try saddles. I know it isn't ideal.

Ouch.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

Yep, thats not fun at all and I feel for you. The same happens to me but on my feet - my skin is very sensible and anything from different socks to new spurs gives me huge sores. I also run, so again, I have a lot of experience with this sort of (very painful) injury!

I found the best way to handle it when you have to ride no matter what is to put tape right on top of the wound. It will allow you to ride as you won't feel any pain, but be sure to remove it very carefully when you get home - and be prepared for it to look absolutely awful for a few days.

Let it breathe during the night - if you can sleep with a PJ that doesn't touch that area, thats great. I use bacitracin (antibiotic) mixed with biafine (heals severe burns) and apply it liberally on the wound.

I learned all these tricks from my doctor who hates me as he thinks I am absolutely suicidal - I tend to push through pain and end up with really terrible injuries. This method has saved me from showing up at his door too often.

1 members found this post helpful.

You want to be careful about the tape. It too can give a nasty rub. So STOP, if once you feel it's rubbing otherwise you'll just compund the ouches.

moleskin
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Nothing to add, but I feel your pain... had that happen once when I was on the college equitation team (the coaches insisted we wear thongs because lines are such a terrible thing.. but a thong + the wrong saddle... wooooohooo!)... was way too embarassed to tell my coach, and ended up doing an entire no-stirrups lesson in that condition. Nearly died.
    *#~*#~*#~*#~*
    Proud Momma of *Capital Kiss* and Bottle Rocket!

Had one of those. The long legged underwear is a must.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Commiserations
    a bit late, but you might try the new skin type bandages - lots of thin multiple coats, allowing it to dry in between, if you want it to hold.
    (note: the first might sting a bit ... OK , maybe a lot)

I second the moleskin. Has helped me through a few mishaps (though I have more padding than you now ) in similar as well as other places.
    Ranch of Last Resort
    www.annwylid.com

"Body Glide" for the future.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

moleskin.

I used to get this occasionally. Body glide is very helpful.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

What kind of saddle is this amazing thing?
    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

I agree with the body glide or anti-monkey butt powder in the future. I have also used blister bandaids that i bought at Super K-mart. Having had to use duoderm for my mother's bed sore, depending on the size of the wound I still liked the blister bandaids better as they can survive a shower if necessary and lasted about 3 days.

Thanks, everyone! I really appreciate your help, and sympathy (sorry for those of you who can, unfortunately, sympathize)!

I rode this morning in many saddles, using the duoderm and the Spanx. I didn't have any pain while I was riding. I think the Duoderm worked like the tape or moleskin would. Although I haven't looked yet, nor have I taken off the Duoderm yet, the only new injury I seem to have is on my arm from when my sweet, innocent horse BIT me HARD when the fitter had his hands on the billets getting ready to undo the girth after the 6th or so saddle. He drew blood, and I reacted totally appropriately (screaming an obscenity, grabbing my arm and bending over at the waist in tears). Nice, huh? I think he was expressing that he was DONE with saddle fitting. He has always been girthy. First bite. I actually felt bad for him. He clearly felt bad for himself. Maybe.

Thanks so much for the recommendations of the tape, new skin bandages (which I LOVE for finger cuts, etc.), Body Glide and Anti-Monkey Butt, along with the moleskin and blister bandaids. I should have bought some when I saw the Anti-MB stuff at Mary's in Del Mar!!

Thanks for the private messages/texts as well! Apparently this isn't a rare. phenomenon.

As far as the saddle from last week, I wasn't at all clear in my original post...it wasn't a miracle saddle, nor am I blaming the saddle, but we just used the opportunity of a different saddle in order to try to make me ride differently. I apologize - I should have made that clear. But the saddle did allow me to ride differently than the one I was using. It was interesting: because the saddle allowed my knees to extend past the blocks as they were not external blocks, I was able to sit, not perch. It was a too-small Custom Advantage that someone is selling.

I think that between me, my trainer, and two saddle fitters today, we have figured out my issue (well, one of them, anyway ). The long rolls lock my legs in, because my thighs/knees brace against the blocks and this shoves my butt to the back of the saddle, tilting me forward. Then I arch my back in order to sit up, and I brace. This shoves my pelvis into the pommel, which causes my problems. I was never riding on my seat bones, I don't think.

As my trainer said, "no saddle is going to fit you if you are not riding with a good seat."

So...cross your fingers. I'm hoping that the one we decided on is the ticket (for at least the next few years). I don't want to jinx myself by getting too excited...

What can I expect with a new saddle, even if it is the perfect fit? Will I get blisters? If I am not used to riding on my seat bones, will I get sore in different places? This one allows me to drop my legs and open my hips, not FORCE my legs back using the blocks. Does that make sense?

THANKS. I'm looking forward to riding in this saddle and seeing if it works for me for the long term. I am so hopeful. It would be nice to put this to bed.

ETA: I know that some of you called this issue dead on from the get go . I appreciate your advice!

also ETA: just surveyed the damage. None. But I will remove Duoderm from the list of solutions...it...um...migrated. Now I need to ride tomorrow without it to see if it inadvertently protected a different sensitive area... Moleskin next time
    Last edited by right horse at the right time; May. 19, 2013 at 06:22 PM.
    LarkspurCO: no horse's training is complete until it can calmly yet expressively perform GP in stadium filled w/chainsaw juggling zombies riding unicycles while flying monkeys w/bottle rockets...

In my experience, rubbing sores are a painful demonstration of a poorly fitting saddle. It won't happen with every saddle that doesn't. It should never happen if the saddle does fit.

I sympathize about the saddle shopping. I bought my Custom Saddlery VLX years ago for my mature horse. Now I am looking for something for my youngster. She is quite expressive about her preferences and if it is really not right she wants it off. The fact that I might by sitting in it at the time is just a minor technicality

I have a pretty long femur so I'm not a fan of knee rolls. If they are too long, they won't let me bend my knee/leg enough to keep my heel under my hip unless the flap is set pretty forward.
    See those flying monkeys? They work for me.

If you're ordering a saddle special built for you, request removable blocks (heavy duty velcro) so you can choose to ride without any blocks or adjust the positioning to better suit your leg as your riding position develops.

Not quite as pretty as sewn in blocks but ever so practical

Glad you survived the day
    Next time horsie bites you, remember to add jumping up & down to any shrieking, this is pretty effective at telling horsie it was a bad idea

Nhwr, thanks for the info. I am VERY HOPEFUL that this one will work-it has short rolls...so my knees have plenty of room...I am going to see if I can rope trainer into doing some video tomorrow . And lol-I wish my horse would tell me when he doesn't like a saddle (well, I guess biting me might be a clue...), but wow, you really have to get it right or you're going for a ride! Have you narrowed down your choices?

Alto, thanks! Is this an option with Custom?? It's so funny (well, sort of...), I've gone from being upset about the way the leather looks to at this point not even caring if the saddle is bright pink, as long as it fits us!! Moveable blocks would be amazing!

And about the jumping up and down, do you know this from personal experience . Not that I expect my innocent angel to EVER bite me again...we are far too codependent for that nonsense. This is the same horse who followed me around his stall this morning when I was trying to muck, begging me to scratch his ears, and licking my back and playing with my hair when I ignored him.

Quote Originally Posted by right horse at the right time View Post

Alto, thanks! Is this an option with Custom?? It's so funny (well, sort of...), I've gone from being upset about the way the leather looks to at this point not even caring if the saddle is bright pink, as long as it fits us!! Moveable blocks would be amazing!
    Just ask, it is quite easily done - I've seen one locally but don't know if it was done aftermarket or at the time of order.
    Hmmm, quite liking the Bright Pink option - you could have this done just on the piping

And about the jumping up and down, do you know this from personal experience
    Maaaaayyyyyybbbbbeeee ...........................

Dont forget to curse when your jumping up and down, really adds the je ne se qoi

Coming from the person who rarely swears
    Beyond the Ring-para dressage, training, coaching
    www.facebook.com/btrparadressage

Proud Team Four Star Minion! Renegade for Life!

My brand-new roughout ATE my thighs and butt the first few rides. I thought I was going to have to give up my $3000 custom saddle I had just bought, until an endurance rider friend of mine told me to wear tights under my jeans. Worked like a charm! No more chafing, no more bleeding, no more cursing under my breath with every ride. Good luck! Saddle sores are no fun, for horse OR rider.
    Life is short. Ride your best horse first.