The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default No Hoof, No Horse... Questions.

We are experiencing some toe-dragging since our chiropractor readjusted us on Wednesday (and by readjusted, I mean put sacrum back in correct balance and unlocked the entirety of the lumbar spine from being tight to hold the sacrum from shifting too much...). From the knees up, my horse looks absolutely fabulous while moving. He is swinging, feels good underneath me... Except yesterday Trainer said "He's dragging that toe."

Last fall when we started amping up our work schedule, it became evident how weak his stifles were - in particular the left one. We did Adequan and a slew of ground pole exercises and the problem sorted itself out.

In March we moved to a new barn, new horses, new terrain (read: hills) and now we are about 2 months there and the left hind is dragging slightly. Yesterday it was much worse, almost looking like he was just too sore to lift the leg and fully swing. Today it was just a few steps here and there where the toe hit the top of the indoor footing.

Upon closer inspection (again, his movement is looking NICE except the toe thing), I did notice that the hind left hoof looks different. The three other hooves look normal, round, a bit healthier at the top due to the increase in grass [yay!] but nothing bad.

The hind left looks like this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps34761c99.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ps72e2bd30.jpg

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/thet...tml?sort=3&o=2

It is definitely longer on the inside than the outside, and I am going by previous experiences that the adjustment will leave him landing far more balanced on that hind foot - however, the rings that only show on the inside? Any ideas? Anyone seen anything like this?
    The Rodeo Project - Tracking an Event Horse

The inside of the hoof is concave, outside is convex, judging by the shot from behind. So possibly the rings are from the pressure of the hoof 'collapsing' inward due to overall imbalance.... Or, possibly, there were rings on both sides but farrier rasped the outside smooth and left the flare on the inside for some reason. The hoof looks very long at the toe and narrow....

Jennifer

In general he has narrow feet (TB) but this one is about 1/2 a shoe size smaller than every other one. Up until his adjustment Wed, I believe he was putting the weight on the outside of that left hind, as opposed to evenly across the foot.
    The Rodeo Project - Tracking an Event Horse

You might have better luck posting this over in the Horse Care section. That is where the farriers hang out.

Of course, you will need to be ready to have photos of both hind hooves, with all of the correct angles, or they get a bit grumpy.
    When in Doubt, let your horse do the Thinking!

Since it was longer on the inside he was probably landing inside first then rolling over to the lower outside, hence the convex appearance.

If he's toe dragging it could be stifle, hock, hips..... If he's rolling to the outside to compensate, I'd trim him as short as possible (length = leverage), shoe with an outside trailer (to support the outside so he doens't roll over on it) and square toe (for straighter breakover) and use a sole support system (equimesh 'pad' filled with equipak to ground level most likely) to improve circulation and encourage the hoof to expand.

Jennifer

Is that a quarter crack on the outside? Do all the toes look like that? It is an odd shaped hind for sure, but hard to tell without more detailed pics as the previous poster said. From the curvature of the growth lines it appears that the bars are jammed up which causes pressure and can lead to lameness.

What does your farrier say about the imbalance?