The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Bummed about Devon....

Feeling very sorry for myself. I was going to ride my homebred young hunter at Devon this year after having to bow out due to my knee injury last year. My friend ride her and she was fabulous and got a good ribbon.

This was going to be "mommy to ride" year. Even with being turned out in a pristine pasture with one buddy.... 1 week prior to trailer home- she not only abscesses but hit herself in the same front leg. Stall bound except hand walking, poulticed, wrapped and a 50/50 chance of being sound in time. The 10 hour trailer ride "home" tells me even if she is sound Mon, the ride isn't fair. (We leave Wed to come home).

Good news- though she seems sore where all the swelling is
    up high on her cannon under her knee, vet doubts suspensory is involved and she just needs time. Yeah in the long run.

Guess we'll be leaving them at home ( DD us doing lead line but we can borrow a pony. No sense trailer up all the way. )

I know I'm lucky...but it's a bummer.

Whine over. Just lamenting to people who'd understand...
    Come to the dark side, we have cookies

So sorry about your horse and not being able to go to Devon. Enjoy yourself anyway, no worrying over your horse while you are there. Have a cocktail and enjoy !

1 members found this post helpful.

North Carolina

Sorry to hear.

Please get loads of lead line pics and share.

I posted a cartoon lately of a dressage horse saying "Oh boy- show season's almost here! Time for an abscess!" - So damn true. Mine kicked the wall and got 4 months off for a bruised coffin bone. We're finally back in training. She wears a kicking chain on that one foot at night.