The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eventing barns (or riderless horses) near Concord, MA?

Hoping the collective COTH knowledge can help me out!

I'm starting grad school in Cambridge in the fall, and the wonderpony (who technically belongs to my mother) is of course staying in Oregon. So I'll be horseless and living in a city.

But, my lab has a field station in Concord, and I'll spend at least a few days a week working out there. I'll also have access to a car. I'm not looking to buy or lease a horse for my first year or two (MAYBE a half-lease if not too expensive), but was hoping to find a place I could either take lessons or just do some extra miles and schooling on a horse that needs more exercise 1 - 3 times a week.

So...any suggestions? I'm not going to give up riding in grad school, so I need to find something workable!

Check the area 1 website www.area1usea.org - there is a list of trainers by state, and barns that offer XC schooling.

Check out Course Brrok Farm in Sherborn, MA. They are an eventing barn not too far from Concord And may be able to accommodate you.

1 members found this post helpful.

I meant Course Brook Farm!

2 members found this post helpful.

Scarlet Hill in Groton
    The Rodeo Project - Tracking an Event Horse

Are you looking just to ride or take lessons and then event?

For under P Denise Goya @ Scarlet Hill in Groton would be my pic.

I know Stephie Baer teaches at Coursebrook, not sure how often she's there, but she great for all levels.

Both barns are big enough should have horses to lease, don't know about schoolies.

If you want to catch ride, post a horseless rider thread on equinesite.com bulletin board.

Erin Renfroe is at Water's Edge in Concord, out on Monument Street.
    http://www.watersedgefarm.com/

Stephie is fabulous--she was at Pegasus when I was there back in the 80s.
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

Scarlet Hill for sure. Best place! Water's Edge is really nice too, but I don't know if they have lesson horses. I'm moving my 8yr old 15.3h TB to Groton June 1st and might consider leasing him a few days a week (not expensive). Barn has indoor, huge outdoor, tons of fields, trails, full jump course, x-country course a 10 minute hack, and schooling x-country jumps being built this summer. My boy is somewhat green, but will jump the moon. If you'd like more info on him, PM me.

Sent you a PM

Thanks, guys! These are all helpful. Duh, should have thought of the Area website...I can check out local Pony Clubs too. They'll have their skeletal anatomy needs covered, considering much of my research involves skeletons

Honestly, I'm not sure whether I'm looking for catch riding, lessons and competitions, or both. I just really want to keep horses in my life in a way that works with grad school!

I really appreciate your thoughts, guys. It sounds like there are a lot of good options and I'm excited to explore them.

Also check out Equinesite.com. There is a bulletin board specifically for MA and it would be worth posting there if you're looking for a horse to ride more than a barn.

Course Brook is great, but an hour from Concord. I used to board there, and moved when we bought a house in Carlisle. (Course Brook didn't have any lesson horses when I was there either, but that may have changed in the 3 years since I've been there.)

I moved my pony to Water's Edge Farm and ride with Erin Renfroe. It's a great place with wonderful facilities and trails, and she does indeed have lesson horses. Depending on your level there may be other opportunities as well. I would highly recommend reaching out to Erin.

Scarlet Hill is a very nice facility, and we go there for schooling. However, it is a half hour from Concord, and don't know if that would be too far for you?

Eleazer Davis Farm in Bedford may be another option. Stephie Baer used to teach out of there, but I'm not sure if that's still the case? Personally, I'm not familiar with the farm, but it is essentially across the Concord River from Water's Edge.

IMHO you can't go wrong with either Erin or Stephie. Both are great quality instructors.

Good luck!

Send me a PM with your contact info. I live in Lincoln and hunt with Old North Bridge Hounds. There are times when I know people who want/need their horses ridden and there lots of members in the Concord area.
    Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
    EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.