The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Dressage Pads in Fun Colors?

Am I totally missing something?

Whenever I look for a new dressage pad, I can never find ones in bright, cheery colors. They always come in the more conservative colors, like navy and hunter green... Which I get completely. They have their time, and they have their place. The problem is that I like bright colors, and I can't find any bright Dressage pads to school in.

I certainly wouldn't wear them to clinics or shows (That might get some interesting remarks... ) but I like schooling in them, and they make me happy. I used to ride in an all-purpose saddle, so finding bright pads wasn't hard at all. Now I ride in a Dressage saddle, but it doesn't *quite* fit the colorful pads that used to fit my old saddle. What's more, my old pads are getting worn and ripped so I think its time to get some new ones...

Am I missing them completely, or are they just incredibly hard to find?
    Tack Cleaning/All-Things-Tack nut
    ~DQ wanna-be~

1 members found this post helpful.

HKM pads? Can you get them over there?

Quote Originally Posted by Loopy View Post
    HKM pads? Can you get them over there?
    It is possible I'm having a brain fart, but can you please clarify what HKM means?

Thanks for the suggestion, though!

ETA: Wait... I realized that HKM is the name of the company, not an abbreviation. I feel stupid...
    Last edited by dreamingofdressage; May. 18, 2013 at 01:20 PM. Reason: The impending brain fart has occured
    ~DQ wanna-be~

What about the custom mattes pads? They aren't cheap but you can have all the fun you want designing them

http://fashion.equestrian-products.com/

I wish I could find fun colors for under $40. I am ultra conservative so "fun colors" are simple things like navy, plum, gray (YES PLEASE!!), hunter green, etc. All of the ones I find start at $45 which I have a hard time coughing up for a saddle pad when the boring $30 white one works just as well.

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    I wish I could find fun colors for under $40. I am ultra conservative so "fun colors" are simple things like navy, plum, gray (YES PLEASE!!), hunter green, etc. All of the ones I find start at $45 which I have a hard time coughing up for a saddle pad when the boring $30 white one works just as well.
    GraceLikeRain- You will be happy with today's (or at least right now- I know they change the stuff at 12:00 pm today) tack of the day haul.
    http://www.tackoftheday.com/ProductD...5%2D17%2Dbonus

ellebeaux- I have been eyeing those custom mattes pads for a while now! They seem really great! I just wish they weren't so expensive.
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Here's a line-up photo of the Anky colours - a local shop offers 6-9 colors (do you want to count white, black & champagne?), they run ~$50 for dressage or jump style.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Here's a line-up photo of the Anky colours - a local shop offers 6-9 colors (do you want to count white, black & champagne?), they run ~$50 for dressage or jump style.
    That is a bit pricy for me, but I love the colors! If all else fails, I will probably be tempted to try one or two of those out.
    ~DQ wanna-be~

Just a suggestion, the AP tuff rider pads come in an assortment of colors and are very reasonably priced. Mine fits well under my 17.5" dressage saddle. I think probably Horse.com or SLT have them if I remember correctly. People complain because they are so large for AP pads, perfect!

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingofdressage View Post
    That is a bit pricy for me, but I love the colors! If all else fails, I will probably be tempted to try one or two of those out.
    Compared to the usual run-of-fare that retails in the $35 - $85 range locally, the Anky pads are excellent value (I looked at some Eskadrons that were listed over $150, sure they were nice BUT not $150 nice) - course I just buy the boring (un)coloured Ogilvy baby pads (which still run $40 - with tax - but after a year, look fabulous) as they FIT & DO NOT MOVE!

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Compared to the usual run-of-fare that retails in the $35 - $85 range locally, the Anky pads are excellent value (I looked at some Eskadrons that were listed over $150, sure they were nice BUT not $150 nice) - course I just buy the boring (un)coloured Ogilvy baby pads (which still run $40 - with tax - but after a year, look fabulous) as they FIT & DO NOT MOVE!
    Hmmm... Anyone know where I can get the Anky pads?
    ~DQ wanna-be~

I have this one in lime green with blue stitching, and I want the yellow with teal next. http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...ricSKU=RIE5336

It's a nice pad, and has held up well to regular use. It's not as thick or stiff as my other Shedrow pads either, so it doesn't warp after it's washed.

Take a look on Etsy - I've bought a few there from Pegasus Threads, and they're very nice!

I think most are around $55, but you'll get something very unique.

http://www.etsy.com/shop/PegasusThreads?ref=ss_profile

Quote Originally Posted by dreamingofdressage View Post
    Hmmm... Anyone know where I can get the Anky pads?
    Equestrian Factory Outlet retails them in Canada - they offer last years colors at the $50 rate (you can shop online for this years colours but they run closer to $100) - outer finish is a pseudo suede (the ANKY letters are thankfully hidden under the saddle & are "non-slip") & coolmax against the horse's back.

The deep purple is gorgeous!
    hmmm you can also order matching polos

Disclaimer: I have no business connection with this shop - except for buying

A few more options...

Pink Equine - http://store.bonvivantequine.com/c/s...-pads-by-color

I love the colors, but a word of caution - I think the pads run on the small side, so if you have a larger saddle, they may not be a good choice.

Roma has some nice options, although these may be more conservative than you're looking for - http://www.doversaddlery.com/roma®-e...124f55p52tvmfx

They have more if you can use an A/P pad - http://www.doversaddlery.com/roma®-e...re=viewbuyrec/

Crazy Legs has some fun options, but their dressage pads are $60, and like Pink Equine, I think they run on the small side - http://www.crazylegsstore.com/catego...n-saddle-pads/

Quote Originally Posted by Ceylon Star View Post
    I have this one in lime green with blue stitching, and I want the yellow with teal next. http://greenhawk.com/wdItemDesc.asp?...ricSKU=RIE5336

It's a nice pad, and has held up well to regular use. It's not as thick or stiff as my other Shedrow pads either, so it doesn't warp after it's washed.
    I really like the yellow w/ teal, and the "Green Light" one. I think I might have to order some... For some reason I am really drawn to odd color combinations that you don't see on saddle pads every day.
    ~DQ wanna-be~

eBay. Every color of the rainbow
    EDDIE WOULD GO

Quote Originally Posted by GreyDes View Post

Pink Equine - http://store.bonvivantequine.com/c/s...-pads-by-color

I love the colors, but a word of caution - I think the pads run on the small side, so if you have a larger saddle, they may not be a good choice.
    The PE pads I looked at were standard dimensions (they do offer an AP with a similar cut) but I was not over the top with the one I bought, some uneven stitching (on all the pads) & after a year of limited use & only a few washings, loose threads ...

I expected rather the same of the Ogilvy's (despite the seller's glowing assertions) & have been very pleasantly surprised

ETA GH pads can vary a good bit in quality, some have lasted well, others gone off kilter after the 1st wash (according to instructions), significant fading on the strong colours