The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymare View Post
    I haven't seen too many of these types of demos other than what they show on TV but it seems to me that the "demo riders" are more like clinic participants and are getting quite a bit of training during their time. I would think that would be worth something.
    This isn't true in my experience. I've been a demo rider for eventing ICP clinics. The organizer told the riders before we started that "this isn't about you". You weren't to expect a lesson, you were there only to be an example. Not that we weren't appreciated. We got lunch , and were allowed to sit in on the lectures for the instructor applicants. Those were more educational than our riding time was.
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by gypsymare View Post
    I haven't seen too many of these types of demos other than what they show on TV but it seems to me that the "demo riders" are more like clinic participants and are getting quite a bit of training during their time. I would think that would be worth something.
    No.

Actually, come to think of it, at Mary Wanless' teacher training courses all of the participating instructors take turns riding. That's a good deal as everyone gets a shot at being the guinea pigs!! (The squirm factor is priceless.) It's also pretty interesting to see how some folks 'talk' measures up to their riding....

Then you have the problem of finding someone to provide horses, but let's face it, the learning instructors will learn at lot more with a view from both sides of the fence!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    The clinic organizer claims that they have no trouble getting 'student riders' to pony up $250. Somehow, I am not entirely sure I believe that.
    "Well, then, madam organizer, you won't mind a bit if I decline the opportunity."
    www.ayliprod.com
    Equine Photography in the Northeast

Where they've got all Hell for a basement

I just took part in a demonstration clinic (as a demo rider) and paid $250.00. The clinician was George Morris. If new instructors-to-be are commanding the same price tags as GM, something is amiss.

2 members found this post helpful.

Deleted - I completely misunderstood the original post - compliments of my partially consumed adult beverage!
    Last edited by ken; May. 21, 2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: adult beverage

Quote Originally Posted by ken View Post
    Deleted - I completely misunderstood the original post - compliments of my partially consumed adult beverage!
    Well by all means finish up that beverage and come back!!

Quote Originally Posted by goodlife View Post
    I just took part in a demonstration clinic (as a demo rider) and paid $250.00. The clinician was George Morris. If new instructors-to-be are commanding the same price tags as GM, something is amiss.
    Yes, Thank You. With Uber BNT world names you can expect to get away with charging riders. Though I know some folks have gone wanting for riders with that scenario... BUT a Centered Riding Certification does not equate with riding for Anky or GM or Karen O'Connor, etc.

I hope we hear back from one of the 'student riders' after the course. I'm dying to know how the $250 measures up to the experience.