The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Hay Costs & Options in YOUR Neck of the Woods?

Posting this here as this forum seems to get the most traffic.

I'm wondering if you-ins wouldn't mind sharing what type(s) of hay you are buying, the size of the bale (really only interested in square bales - apples to apples, ya know), and the cost per bale...feel free to include anything you pay to have the hay delivered, stacked, etc. OH - and WHERE is your neck of the woods?

Thanks for participating in my informal "study"

Currently $5.75/bale for very high quality (think horsey CRACK) orchard/hint of alfalfa, 45-50 (approx) lb bales delievered and stacked with a smile. This is the deal of a century in my area--Northern Virginia (Northern Loudoun County)--I would have to be held at gunpoint to reveal my source.

This hay is so amazing that two of our boarders actuallly buy their own "crappy" hay to put in their fatty's stall in the summer.
    Quote Originally Posted by EquineImagined View Post
    My subconscious is a wretched insufferable beotch.

$8 a bale delivered and stacked second cut grass/wee bit of alfalfa maybe 40 pound bales. I did inquire at the Old Salem show about alfalfa with Aden Brook...Gulp...$40 a 100 pound bale delivered and stacked...so mine will continue to eat what they are on now. I do know that first cutting is significantly cheaper.

I read an Ag Department study a few years ago that said hay is a VERY local market - and availability, quality, and price can vary from county to county, as well as in different regions.

Having said that - south-central Pennsylvania & we pay between $4 and $4.50 for 40 to 50 lb. bales of mixed grass - brome, orchard grass, with just a little alfalfa & some clover &/or timothy.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

1 members found this post helpful.

$5 @ 45 lb bale in NoVa delivered with a $5 stacking charge. Timothy/ orchard grass mix. First hay (besides straight alfalfa ($8.00@ 40 lb bale-rarely available) that all our guys inhale. Never any leftovers.

Foothills of the Carolinas... right on the border of Upstate SC and Western NC. At the local farm supply store, I'm paying $16/bale for 60-70lb small squares of straight alfalfa and I wish I could say it was magnificent, but it usually varies from decently leafy-but-stemmy to mostly-stemmy. Timothy/orchard/alfalfa bales of the same approximate weight are going for $14, and the crap fescue that thrives around here goes for $4-5.
    Athletic Horses. Educated Riders.
    www.Ride-With-Confidence.com

Central Florida.......23.00 for nice O&A about 60 lbs. and 7.50 for coastal ay about 45 lbs.

Keep in mind that I'm in Florida, so costs are astronomical, but I can find pretty much anything I want.

I'm paying $22-26/bale at around 80 lbs/bale for *gorgeous* orchard from out west. That is pretty average for this area. O/A is about the same, T/A is a few dollars per bale less, compressed alfalfa can be anywhere from $18-$30 for a comprable weight, and things like bahia and costal are obviously much less. But hay is EXPENSIVE down here!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

When I was buying my own hay, I was paying $18.99 for a 90-100lb bale of decent orchard/alf. Other options were pure orchard ($18.99), pure alfalfa ($18.99), and a forage mix ($12). This was at the biggest supplier in the area. There are some local growers, but the quality is a crapshoot. I never did find a consistent local grower. Anything other than orchard grass is pretty unheard of around here.

I'm in Shasta County, CA - very north.

Northeast PA: $3/bale for timothy/orchard grass. Bales are 40-60 lbs. They load. I haul and unload/stack at home. Sometimes I can get it for less if I get it before it goes in their barn. It's decent quality. Had it tested and it came out good in all categories.

South of Lexington KY, 60 lb bales of the most beautiful alfalfa you ever saw for $5/bale. They load, I either unload and stack or hire a couple of teenagers to do it.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm in Miami, FL, currently paying $38.99 per 3-wire 125-lb. square bale of orchard. Previously, I was paying $35.99 for the same hay, but prices went up about a month ago. The 2-wire squares of T/A or O/A are usually anywhere from $16-24 per bale, but the 3-wires seem like a better deal (and my horse really likes the straight orchard, and he's a bit of a hay princess, so I try to accommodate him!).

SE PA, square bales, 50lb range, about $7 a bale delivered.

Southern WI, hay used to be $3-$3.50 or $3.75 per 35-50 pound bale for good to great quality grass and alfalfa mix (50 pound bales are unusually large for a grass mix, most of ours are a bit over 40). We had a drought last year though and now hay is up to $6.00 per bale for any type of hay. We are having more problems finding people willing to sell their hay, and our supplier is just getting ready to cut his this next week (he has run out). Thankfully we have pasture, or we'd be scrambling for hay. We usually haul and stack but since we are so close to the supplier he'll drop the wagon off free of charge so long as we have it back by the next morning. Quality varies greatly from one supplier to the next due to how the fields are managed/harvested and how the hay is stored.

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

Portland, OR area

Local hay (not "farmed" per se) is $5-$6 a 60lb. bale. This can vary from good quality to weedy, yellow crap. Our local west-side hay is often very high in NSC despite its appearance, so not the best choice for many horses.

Orchard or Timothy from the west side of the state (farmed) $10/75lb.ish bale.

Orchard or Timothy from east side of the state (this is the premium, "good stuff" that is exported all over the country and world) runs about $14/120lb. bale. Most of us buy by the ton--I paid $285/ton last summer for 120lb. orchard/alfalfa mix hay from eastern Oregon. It is running around $300/ton right now...if you can find any.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Central Coast CA, $22-$25 for a 3 string, not always the best quality; options are grass, alfalfa, oat or forage. However if you board, good luck getting getting grass, you generally have to pay for it!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

Atlanta GA

Square bale orchard fescue $6.50/bale
    Square bale orchard alfalfa $11.50/bale

Delivery is $35

I get hay from our feed store, not always the lowest cost, but they always have good quality hay and if you are doing a monthly order of under 40 bales for two horses, that's what works best.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

$5 a bale, grass hay, decent quality though not top. You have to pick up.
    I'm in eastern CT
    Please support S. 1406 to amend the Horse Protection Act and Prevent all Soring Tactics to the Tennessee Walking horse!
    https://www.popvox.com/bills/us/113/s1406

Central NJ... I'm paying $8 a bale for second cut orchard grass/clover mix... 65 lb bales. It's mostly clover and from a private seller, who only sells to a select few. I buy compressed 70 lbs bales of alfalfa from Agway for $18.99 for flavor. Lol
    Celtic Charisma (R.I.P) ~ http://flickr.com/photos/rockandracehorses/2387275281
    Proud owner of "The Intoxicated Moose!"
    "Hope is not an executable plan" ~ My Mom
    I love my Dublin-ator

Thanks for the replies - KBEquine hit the nail on the head about hay costs/availability, etc, being a very regional thing.

I remember living in the Upstate (SC) and struggling to find hay I liked. SO frustrating, Melissa.Hare.Jones!

My hay supplier decided last year that he was going to convert one of his big fields (he cut 1000 bales off of it last week) to orchard grass (from wheat). We get the most beautiful and CLEAN hay I've ever bought. It surpasses the beautiful timothy I used to get shipped in from PA back in the late 80s. He had some errant rye grass come up in spots and he pulled it by hand...I appreciate him being so picky!

We get the 60+ lb bales at a deal (folks are like family to us). I think he sells them on the open market for $6.00.