The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone bailed a horse out of Camelot? Need help on how to do this!

Hey COTHers! I need help stat! My mother lost her 29 year old Paso this fall after 22 years together :-( I've been on the hunt for finding her a new partner. I can see how much she misses riding. He had been only pasture sound the last 3 years. Just an hour ago I happened onto a gorgeous trail safe Paso in the Camelot feed lot. He even has a video and looks wonderful! I csn scrape the money together to bail him out but am wondering if there is a ride-share board or way to get him to Wisconsin as I don't have a ton for shipping. I wish I had more time to figure this out but from what I can tell he needs to be bailed out by tomorrow! Any advice, links, contacts would be so helpful!! Thanks so much!! My gut is soooooo certain this could be her perfect partner! I can't even imagine her face when I pull in with him! SURPRISE MOM!! Happy belated Mother's Day! :-D
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

1 members found this post helpful.

Nevermind...finally got through and he just found a home. Very happy for him!
    "We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing."

2 members found this post helpful.

Sorry you missed out on him, but I'm sure another will come along (they always do!). For the future, if you need it, there is a "Transport" discussion section on the Camelot Horse Weekly FB page that could prove very useful in finding a lift:
    https://www.facebook.com/#!/CamelotH...02980683107053

Good luck!
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Definitely keep looking. I've seen several Pasos on there of late.

You're a wonderful daughter!

Here's an old girl that looks like she needs a home, and she is in your neck of the woods

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-o3363422634
    Last edited by michaleenflynn; May. 18, 2013 at 02:35 PM.
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

It's really not "bail". You're just buying an overpriced horse from a broker that knows how to play on emotions to move more horses. Find a local horse and rescue it instead. If Frank is still sending horses to slaughter (not sure), the truck is going to go and it's going to go full anyway.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

4 members found this post helpful.

Frank hasn't sent horses to slaughter for years now. Since the inception of the Camelot program to be exact.

I am certain if you search sites like Dreamhorse etc. and even craigslist, you will find something suitable and maybe even close enough to where you can check the horse out before buying it.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

3 members found this post helpful.

Those horses are usually pretty cheap! I definitely wouldn't say they are overpriced. Well...maybe some of them, but most of them aren't.
    Rest in peace great mare, 1987-2013

Quote Originally Posted by SAcres View Post
    Those horses are usually pretty cheap! I definitely wouldn't say they are overpriced. Well...maybe some of them, but most of them aren't.
    Some people think Frank should be selling them strictly for what they went through the ring at. Or giving them away. Profit is EVIL. And if they're cheap, people scream that the KB is coming for a quick buck or poor innocent buyers are tempted to get horses they can't handle.

Yeah, some are more than I'd pay (I wouldn't pay $800 for the TB someone linked to when I can get known quantities from the track for less) but better they get priced high enough to make a potential buyer stop and think.

Well I sure don't have a problem with someone profiting on the sale of a horse if the horse goes to a good home and not to slaughter. (I see people selling horses for more than they are worth down here in the south all the time. )

Maybe those of us willing to help with Camelot horses should put that on the thread on "giveaways" about Cothers helping Cothers? I'd be willing to help although I'm not anywhere near PA. (used to live there, don't now.) I'd help with cost of shipping to others if someone gets a horse there.

Of course as others have said, buying without seeing the horse up close and personal is not the best way to buy a horse, but at least the people who photograph and observe the horses at Camelot can report if the horses are lame, are ridden, etc. And it's not any different from buying a horse on "Dream Horse."

What happened after NJ refused to renew their license back in 2012? Clearly, they must now be licensed, if they're still operating.

http://www.nj.com/mercer/index.ssf/2...he_countr.html
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I hate to be the Debbie Downer here, but if you can't come up with a few hundred bucks for shipping, I wouldn't be buying a horse from auction.

I bought a little mule out of New Holland a few years ago and he arrived to me dripping pus from the Strangles abscesses in his throatlatch, and pretty underweight. Between the antibiotics (and several vet call fees/all the vaccines he needed) and the fattening him back up, he easily cost me $600 in bills alone the first month. And that's WITH being lucky enough to have my own quarantine facilities, and not having to pay the premium price for quarantine facilities at a local barn.
    Well isn't this dandy?

2 members found this post helpful.

I cannot put my finger on it, but I believe I read that the license holder is now the son of the Carpers. I believe that I may have read this on ABR back in 2012 shortly after Camelot began operating again.

Quote Originally Posted by maunder View Post
    I cannot put my finger on it, but I believe I read that the license holder is now the son of the Carpers. I believe that I may have read this on ABR back in 2012 shortly after Camelot began operating again.
    You are correct. It's now operated under someone else's name, yet Monica and Frank are still the go-to contacts.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Quote Originally Posted by maunder View Post
    I wonder is this the son who drove the Popsicle horse rig?

When that whole licensing thing happened many speculated they would just get their son to hold the license.
    Exposing faux rescues, backyard breeders and puppy/cat mills everywhere

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Cute Paso there, linked in another thread.

http://www.nj-feedlot-horse-rescue.c...available.html

Quote Originally Posted by CGirl10 View Post
    Cute Paso there, linked in another thread.

http://www.nj-feedlot-horse-rescue.c...available.html
    That's the same horse I think OP was considering. He was on the Camelot pages for at least 10 days. I think that black one someone listed in MN is cute, and the right price. Sounds safe too.

Quote Originally Posted by michaleenflynn View Post
    Here's an old girl that looks like she needs a home, and she is in your neck of the woods

http://www.equinenow.com/horse-ad-o3363422634
    Just emphasizing this one