The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Snake in my Dad's house

My brother was returning home from a doctor's appointment when he saw 2 sheriff's cars turning from our road onto the highway. Since our Dad is nearly 85, he was concerned that something had happened to him. Turns out, a snake apparently got into his house and his caregiver hit the panic alarm and then left. The snake is reportedly about 4' long and of undeterminate species. It's whereabouts are currently unknown but my Dad's Australian terrier keeps looking under the china cabinet and barking. I'm guessing its either a water snake, king snake or garter snake and probably isn't 4' long. A day in my life.

The term caregiver seems rather oxymoronic

2 members found this post helpful.

At 4' long, in a house, it is probably a harmless rat snake (garter snakes don't get that big, king snakes feed only on other snakes, a water snake in a house would be just...weird). Sigh. People. Way to be reasonable, "caregiver."

It was a rat snake or chicken snake as we used to call them. My daughter who is a kindred spirit of wildlifer, Barcardi1 and 2Jakes, managed to get it out from behind the china cabinet, caught it, gave it a goodbye kiss and turned it loose in the pasture. Her uncle, my brother, took a picture of her kissing the snake. She posted it on Instagram. It kind of weirded out her new boyfriend. I was teasing her about being the Heir of Slytherin and speaking Parseltongue. She was talking to it the whole time she was trying to get it out from behind the cabinet. If I knew how to post a link to the picture I would.

In fairness to the caregiver, she did try to get my dad to get out of the house with her but he recognised the snake as a rat snake and wasn't too fussed. It was over 4' because my daughter is 4'11 and when she held it up it was as long as she is tall.

Many, many, MANY major kudos to your daughter (& your dad).

An no doubt that "monster" was 4'. Over the decades, I've had several opportunities to come across Black Rat Snakes 6'+ (record length is 8'5", I believe). The sheer size of some of them is what frequently freaks people out & makes them think they're dangerous. They are EXTREMELY impressive-looking at those sizes, so you really can't blame folks. (Well, so long as their freaking out doesn't include killing the poor snake. . . .)

Awwww, snake kisses, good for her! I think the biggest one I ever caught was in TX, where we were tagging them, she was about 6'6" and very fiesty, LOL.

This one was pretty feisty. It was not a happy camper when DD was poking it trying to get it from behind the china cabinet. It was doing a great imitation of a Big Bad Snake, rattling its tail and hissing and striking. DD was laughing at it and telling it, that it wasn't so tough it needed to just cooperate and get out from behind the cabinet.

1 members found this post helpful.

Get your father a hoe. NOTE THE SPELLING OF THAT. Get the implement not the female.

A hoe is the best thing to use to dispatch snakes. If the snake is non-poisonous, you can drape it on the hoe and put it outside. If the snake is poisonous, the hoe can be used, make sure it is sharp, to dissect the snake and dispatch it.

Wabbit, this snake was wedged between the wall and an antique china cabinet that was filled with some valuable antique cookie jars and china. It was locked and we couldn't move it. We couldn't reach it with a hoe. DD was trying to poke it with a yard stick to get it to move where she could get to it and wasn't having any luck. We finally went out to eat and shut the dogs in a different room. When we came home, the snake had moved under the cabinet so DD could reach in with one of those grabber things that are used to get stuff off high shelves and get the snake and hustle him outside. Then she caught him and took pics. She would.

1 members found this post helpful.

Henrico, NC 36 30'50.49" N 77 50'17.47" W

Quote Originally Posted by wireweiners View Post
    It was a rat snake or chicken snake as we used to call them. My daughter who is a kindred spirit of wildlifer, Barcardi1 and 2Jakes, managed to get it out from behind the china cabinet, caught it, gave it a goodbye kiss and turned it loose in the pasture. Her uncle, my brother, took a picture of her kissing the snake. She posted it on Instagram. It kind of weirded out her new boyfriend. I was teasing her about being the Heir of Slytherin and speaking Parseltongue. She was talking to it the whole time she was trying to get it out from behind the cabinet. If I knew how to post a link to the picture I would.

In fairness to the caregiver, she did try to get my dad to get out of the house with her but he recognised the snake as a rat snake and wasn't too fussed. It was over 4' because my daughter is 4'11 and when she held it up it was as long as she is tall.
    People around here call them "chicken snakes" too, because they do get baby chicks.

There was an auction of an old store contents near here a couple of years ago. There was a big rat snake in the store, and the guys working the sale carrying everything out, one at a time, to the auction wouldn't go back in the building. I figured it was a rat snake from their description, so I went in to see about it.

It was in some of the lower cabinets-store built in late 1800s. I grabbed the tail and pulled but it had something that I didn't want to pull out, so I patted it on the tail to move it along. After a couple of minutes, it decided to make a dash to somewhere else. I grabbed the tail, but it was so tapered that I couldn't get a good hold, and it went behind something else.

I took a broom handle and managed to get it balanced about in the middle of the snake-about a 4 1/2 footer, and scooted it towards the door. It got its front end behind something that it could grab onto, and we had a tug of war for about 30 seconds until it got tired. When it started to turn to snap at me, I sort of tossed it towards the door, and grabbed an old wooden rake to pick it up with.

The snake wrapped around the rake in a big ball, and I carried it out of the store across the road to release in some woods-all to a big round of applause. I just wanted to bid on some of the stuff for sale, and was tired of wasting time over a rat snake.

I used to catch baby rat snakes in the house I rented. Always knew one was around because the cats acted odd. The ones I caught were small - maybe 24". I did have a three foot (?) one that lived in the garage that I kept ejecting but he always came back. After a few tries, I just left him alone and called him "George".

Here is one of the babies: http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c1...kes/snake3.jpg
    "Dogs are man's best friend. Cats are man's adorable little serial killer." -- theoatmeal.com