The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Humane ways to dissuade swallows from nesting?

Haven't been here for ages, and posted this rather urgent question in "Off Course" first, by mistake, oops.

Anyway, here it is again:

We've opened up the side of an old building attached to the house, and the swallows are going nuts trying to nest in there. We only pulled the side off yesterday, and today there are HUGE debates in swallowdom about which beam offers the best nesting spot. It's like the new hotel just opened in town, and everyone's desperate to try it out.

But, problem is, we're about to start renovating that space and turn it into living space, and we'd like to start work sooner than later, like, this Monday.

So, apart from draping blue tarps everywhere (bit tricky, as I'm on my own here today, and it's very windy), anyone have any other suggestions?

If they start nesting, I won't disturb them until the babies have flown the nest (how long is that, anyway?), but really, I'd rather they went and nested in another barn on the farm!

Fake owl. You can buy one whose head turns, and whose eyes light up. Unfortunately it will run off all birds, but you can remove it when the swallows return to......whereever they used to next.

Crikey - that sounds like it'd be scaring me, too, lol. I'll see what the hardware store has to offer - thanks.

Romany, please send them to me. I'll take all of them for my barn. I just cut a feed bag and put it under their nests to catch the droppings. Usually after my swallows have built their nest in the barn, the stinking sparrows drive them away. Even if I knock down the nest after the sparrows took over and the swallows rebuild, quite often a hawk comes and gets the babies. I'm lucky if I get babies every couple of yrs and I LOVE to watch the babies when flight school starts.
    Sue
    Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you!

Smear vaseline on the beams where they are trying to build. Mud won't stick. Get a very large jar of vaseline!