The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default 20 year old TB Gelding Pottstown PA

I am posting this for a friend at my barn. I should be able to get pictures in the next day or two.

Cody is a 20 year old 16H grey TB gelding. He is a solid horse and takes a MW tree. He has shown 3' hunters but not in many years. Will hack quietly in the ring with an advanced beginner. Nice mover. He needs a solid intermediate rider to jump as he can be a bit forward to the fences.

Once he is back in work consistently he is reasonably sound but will have the occasional bad day. He has the normal arthritis of a horse his age. He gets Adequan monthly. Currently not on any other supplements. Probably could benefit from hock injections as it has been about 5 years since he was done last.

Has trail ridden and paperchased in a group but requires a strong rider for that as he can be quite forward. Cannot be trail ridden by himself.

He is a little odd in that he actually prefers a lot of stall time or a small paddock. Therefore he would likely not do well pasture boarded. Does well turned out with ponies and donkeys.

He has some narcolepsy that is mostly apparent in the crossties once the girth is on. So the rider needs to be ready to girth him and get him walking immediately. Once he is being ridden it has never been an issue. In the stall his knees will occasionally buckle due to the narcolepsy.

His owner needs him to go like yesterday. Board is overdue. She has a child with expensive special health needs. Financially and time wise she just cannot keep him any longer. For a few years he had been leased out to a beginner rider but that ended and she has not been able to find another leasor. Owner has sold everything she can to try to pay board. His owner has had Cody for 15 years and is just heartbroken about having to rehome him.

He is not fit right now as he is not being ridden consistently. The farm he is at has a nice ring to try him out.

He is free to good home. I am willing to trailer up to 3 hours each way to help him out.

Please PM me and I can get anyone who is interested in touch with Cody's owner.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)

Just bumping this up as the owner is quite distressed and needs to find him a home soon.
    Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community. (Tidy Rabbit)