The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Setting emotions aside, your friend should decide (a) if this situation constitutes abuse/neglect and is so report it and (b) if not abuse is the level of care expected/provided such that she simply feels uncomfortable with continuing to be employed there.

I think many of us who post on COTH have much higher standards for horse care than the "average" horse owner and it can all too easy to cry abuse/neglect when while the situation may be less than ideal, the horse is much better off than many, many horses in the world.

1 members found this post helpful.

Pay? About 10.00 an hour. The rest? Its none of the employee's concern and unrelated to her work. She needs to tend to her work, do it faster, probably, finish, be friendly and cheerful so she gets a good reference, and go home. If she's that unhappy, she should be looking for another job, but not undermining herself at her current job by commenting on the other activities the farm does. Good luck.
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

2 members found this post helpful.

this thread reminds me of an old joke....
    A young Indian boy asks his mother 'how do you name your children?'
    She replies 'I name them after the first thing I see after they are born. For instance, when your sister was born, I looked out of the tent and saw a beautiful sunrise, so I named her 'Red Morning'. 'When your brother was born, a bald eagle flew past....so I named him 'One with Wings'. She then looked gravely at her youngest 'Why do you ask Two Dogs Humping?'

14 members found this post helpful.

I wonder if the owner is aware that the hired help is overruling his feeding instructions by buying and feeding extra grain. The horses in question could be on a vet recommended grain restricted diet. If I found out the person I was paying to feed my horses was not following my feeding program, I'd solve her problem for her by hiring someone else.

15 members found this post helpful.

I'm not sure how old this person is because the OP does sound like it should be some "flicka" crazed teen.. which means that the 'friend" got to know about this horse when she was 1 or 2 years old... OP says she's known of the horse since it got here 15 years ago and knew the previous owners and all that..

At least the OP spelled "Ridiculous" correctly.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by partlycloudy View Post
    this thread reminds me of an old joke....
    A young Indian boy asks his mother 'how do you name your children?'
    She replies 'I name them after the first thing I see after they are born. For instance, when your sister was born, I looked out of the tent and saw a beautiful sunrise, so I named her 'Red Morning'. 'When your brother was born, a bald eagle flew past....so I named him 'One with Wings'. She then looked gravely at her youngest 'Why do you ask Two Dogs Humping?'
    This is my favorite joke. Always has been , thankyou for the laugh!!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gottagrey View Post
    I'm not sure how old this person is because the OP does sound like it should be some "flicka" crazed teen.. which means that the 'friend" got to know about this horse when she was 1 or 2 years old... OP says she's known of the horse since it got here 15 years ago and knew the previous owners and all that..
    That is why I believe there is more of an issue here than unhappiness at work. An adult would not be having such an emotional freak out about the situation if they were in a good mental health "place".

2 members found this post helpful.

And the OP couldn't possibly have exaggerated about the 15 years...
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory