The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Ugh. I hate doing this! XC boots- NEW fuzzy boots

The only reason I'm doing this is because, for the life of me (I did a very specific search and nothing came up...and a generic "cross country boots" search only brought up threads from 5 years ago and earlier!!), I can't find the thread runNjump86 started not too long ago about our favorite topic, xc boots. Several people recommended the fleece lined NEW boots in that thread and I'm seeking input from them!

I am acquiring a set (older, used ones), and I just want to find out if anyone has any tips on getting them on well/snugly. My complaint with them has always been that they tend to slip a bit, but those who mentioned them didn't have the same issue. So, I'm looking for any tips for getting them on well.

Toby's skin has been freaking out, and I'm afraid some of it is due to his xc boots. I was dreading buying new boots- just not in the budget. On a whim, I reached out to the owner of the horse who had the fleece boots, and I'm going to take them on his hands. Score! Hopefully, Toby's skin will appreciate it.

I was going to say, before I switched to the new boots, I would put THICK tights around his legs like tubes and then put his boots on overtop and that worked (but it was a PITA)

I usually put them on, Run them down the leg, strap them closed as tight as I can and then strap them closed again. They've slipped maybe twice. That's really all you can do. You can get them pretty tight.

Yeah. We've talked about tights or tubigrip under his boots, but since we do almost nothing but one days, that would be such a monumental PITA...especially on the days I'm working alone (as it is, I've already taken to switching boots between phases, which I haven't done until this year).

My gut says I never put them on tight enough.

YB -- On Buzzy, I dusted the insides of his fuzzy boots with the GoldBond powder, and it made a huge difference! It was a requirement for any neoprene lined ones, but the fuzzy ones are what he wore in turnout 12+ hours a day, and his skin would go nuts without the powder. It got a little yucky, so I kept two pair I could wash, but you aren't planning to have him wear them *near* that much, but it might help his skin stay happier!

No advice on getting them tight enough, though. I used to pull the fuzzy ones pretty tight, since they had that additional padding.
    *Proud member of the Hoof Fetish Clique*
    I have Higher Standards ...do you? Find us on FB!
    Higher Standards Custom Leather Care -- Handcrafted Saddle Soap

All of my neoprene boots are buried in my "spare" box. Toby's not even allowed to see neoprene. His current xc boots are "orthopedic foam" but I still just think that his skin thinks it is icky....he spends the majority of his life in cheap fuzzy boots or polos!

I've thought about shaking some baby powder (corn starch, not talc) into his every day boots but never have because of the yuck factor. But it helps, huh? Maybe I'll give it a whirl.

Picking the new NEW boots up on Monday, so will experiment with them between now and Waredaca for fit.

I always had the same issue with those boots. They slipped on most of my horses but not all. So I suspect it is not just putting them on tight enough but how they fit their legs.
    ** The difference between genius and stupidity is genius has its limits. -- Albert Einstein **

I have used the cross-country NEW boots (with fleece) with no slippage issues.

What I do is:

Put boot on leg, tighten from top to bottom. Once on, retighten straps - first one on top should be snug (not tight). Straps 2, 3 and 4 go on tight. I've always been taught that the top strap should not be too tight as you want a little bit of play to prevent the guard from digging into the back of the tendon.

Okay - found a video that explains it better than I can

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ry_gQdRCM7Q

That is an EXCELLENT video!
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.