The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse Shopping-- how far will you travel without seeing video?

I'm currently in the market for a new horse and I'm bored at work today and am curious. How far would you travel to see a horse if you'd seen a pic but no video?

I've already been on several 3 hour road trips the last few weeks looking at horses that were nice, but not quite what I want. There's another horse 3 hours away (why is EVERYTHING 3 hours from me???) that sounds great but owner has no video. Part of me is weary and doesn't want to potentially waste a day driving but part of me says to just go. Horse is very cute in pic and is on the lower end of my budget. If it was an hour I'd be all over it, but three... sigh. I work during the week and have a farm to take care of so my weekend time is limited.

(In this case, the horse isn't advertised so I'm not knocking the owner for not having video.)

Can't the owner put together a quick video for you? If the owner has pictures, then she has a camera, which can surely take a video, right? No harm in asking at least.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

In this day and age, the owner should be able to get a short vid for you before you trek 6 hours round trip!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Yeah, I asked and she's working on one but it just got me curious as to how far people would be willing to go.

Work is SLOOOOOWWWWWW today!

3 hours would be the absolute max I would travel without a video. The only exception would be if my trainer knew the horse or someone whose judgment I trusted could vouche for the quality of the horse.

I know that with (relatively) lower priced horses a lot of people don't bother with video.

I won't look at any horse with out a video. With gas being 4.20 now I'd be crazy to go even 30 mins.
    If they can't put together a video I'm not sure how serious they are about selling at any price point. With a flip camera anyone can do a video these days.

Not everyone has high speed internet.

I just drove over 2 hours to look at/pick up a horse based on photos, but she is young and not started.

For riding horses, 1 hour is pretty much as far as I will drive without video....maybe more if there are a few in the area. In general though, I prefer to shop closer to home so that my vet can do the vet check for me.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!